Profile for Dr. R. J. Simmonds > Reviews

Content by Dr. R. J. Simmonds

Dr. R. J. Simmonds "Rocky_Roger" (UK)

CLEAR GROOVE - Advanced Vinyl Record Cleaner
CLEAR GROOVE - Advanced Vinyl Record Cleaner
Offered by Net Utopia

5.0 out of 5 stars and thought they can do more harm than good. But, 25 Dec. 2014
I was very sceptical and wary of these sorts of product, and thought they can do more harm than good.

But, having bought a very crackly (unplayable) record on eBay I had nothing to loose. The cleaning kit arrived promptly. I sprayed the record surface with rather more fluid than the instructions advised, and spread it around with a carbon brush. After wiping, I repeated the process as the record still appeared to have mould on the surface. The second application removed this, leaving a pristine, residue-free surface.

Playing the record was a revelation - gone were all the continuous crackles, and this vintage recording was now eminently listen-able.

I was surprise and very very pleased. This product really does do what it says it does, and I shall be buying more vintage records, knowing I can clean them up.

Stuff Matters: The Strange Stories of the Marvellous Materials that Shape Our Man-made World
by Mark Miodownik

5.0 out of 5 stars A Marvelous Read, 2 Jun. 2014
I have not enjoyed a book so much in a very long time. 'Stuff matters' is beautifully written, and a number of the shorter sections - on paper for example - remind me of Primo Levi's 'Periodic Table' (the essay on Titanium, for example). Greater praise than this cannot be given.

My interest in materials science was first stimulated by reading J E Gordon's 'The New Science of Strong Materials' many years ago. This too is a wonderful read, and 'Stuff Matters' has rekindled my enthusiasm.

I would have liked more about the use of ceramics in jet engines, and a mention of the manifest uses of Bucky balls in say, drug delivery ... which leads to my criticism of 'Stuff Matters ... it's much too short.

I look forward to Mark Miodownik's follow up book!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 27, 2014 7:37 PM BST

The Universe in the Rearview Mirror: How Hidden Symmetries Shape Reality
The Universe in the Rearview Mirror: How Hidden Symmetries Shape Reality
by Dave Goldberg

3.0 out of 5 stars A slightly disappointing book where flippancy is not justified by the content., 9 Aug. 2013
I really wanted to like this book, and understand how symmetries give rise to the forces of nature mediated by bosons.

I read it through, and was not much more comprehending at the end of the book than at the beginning. Was it the style that put me off, or had I not read it carefully enough? Had the author not realised that what is obvious to him isn't obvious to a reader? Or am I just too stupid to understand these deep mysteries?

But I have read and understood books that explain quantum entanglement very well (Nick Herbert) and books that derive E=MC2 very clearly (see Brian Cox's), but when I read Goldberg's, admittedly shorter explanations, of these phenomena I had, I'm afraid, and in the author's words, no 'tada' moment.

So a book worth reading for explaining the background, but readers wanting comprehension of all this may need to go elsewhere.

Verbatim 43415 CD-R Slim Jewel Case (Pack of 10)
Verbatim 43415 CD-R Slim Jewel Case (Pack of 10)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent product, 5 Jun. 2013
A very reliable disc at a very fair price. I found Just perfect for burning small batches of semi-commercial data discs - no returns so far!

Irma La Douce [DVD]
Irma La Douce [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jack Lemmon
Offered by rsdvd

2.0 out of 5 stars A dated classic, 5 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Irma La Douce [DVD] (DVD)
I had fond memories of this film as a 17-year old (in 1965). Alas the plot and treatment of the characters now appears very uncomfortable - the happy prostitute and the interpersonal violence in what is supposed to be a tender relationship.

Perhaps years of being 'PC' has jaundiced my outlook ... but I found it nearly un-watchable.

Lightning Eject: The Dubious Safety Record of Britain's Only Supersonic Fighter
Lightning Eject: The Dubious Safety Record of Britain's Only Supersonic Fighter
by Peter Caygill

4.0 out of 5 stars Readable assessment of a super fighter., 5 Jun. 2013
I loved the stories which were all well presented. The comparison to the F-104 was thoughtful Could have done with more technical discussion as to why the Lighting, loved by pilots, was such a challenge to maintain.

Bristol Brabazon
Bristol Brabazon
by Graham M. Simons

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent history of an uber-turkey, 5 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Bristol Brabazon (Paperback)
A really quite splendid book with many illustrations and it is technically accurate. The prose also is very readable.

The last chapter gives a good and fair assessment of the project, and opines that in some ways i.e. the concept of luxury transatlantic air travel, it was before its time!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 9, 2013 10:20 AM BST

Creation Sings the Father's Song
Creation Sings the Father's Song

1.0 out of 5 stars Splendid song, pity about the arrangement, 5 Jun. 2013
I only knew this song as sung by the composer. The instrumental mix Townend gives is interesting and delicate and fits the mood of the words.

The cover version has heavy drums and a treatment more suitable to a Eurovision song contest entry. Not conducive to worship, I'm afraid. Sorry, this treatment missed the mark for me.

Benjamin Britten: A Life in the Twentieth Century
Benjamin Britten: A Life in the Twentieth Century
by Paul Francis Kildea

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent and objective biography., 15 Mar. 2013
This is the biography for the music lover, not the scholar, and the author's sympathetic discussion of the works will have the reader reaching for his or her CD collection (or Ipod!). The author discusses Britten's character but does not dwell on his sexuality or liaisons so the prurient or paedophile hunter must look elsewhere for evidence.

It is marvellously written and the introduction itself is worth the asking price.

Serenade: Songs of night and love - Romantic Partsongs For Male Choir
Serenade: Songs of night and love - Romantic Partsongs For Male Choir

5.0 out of 5 stars An unusual selection of songs beautifully sung and recorded, 15 Mar. 2013
This compilation was worth it for me just for the hard-to-find Bruckner songs. The CD alone is worth it just for 'Abenzauber', though in truth I would have preferred women yodellers!