Profile for SC > Reviews

The Confidence Gap
by Dr. Russ Harris
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Pragmatic, focussed and thoughtful, 25 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Confidence Gap (Paperback)
This is an excellent book for people needing assistance in dealing with confidence and anxiety difficulties in a pragmatic way. Right from the start, readers are encouraged to be clear as to what greater confidence would look like in our own lives, and to reflect on particular circumstances where we are currently struggling. Regular prompts to check on what our thoughts are doing help with active reading and a variety of exercises are introduced to identify values and develop mindfulness. These are built on in a structured way so that by the end of the book readers should be able to have a specific plan for dealing with areas of life that would benefit from more confidence.

The insights in this book have already gripped me and, along with the exercises, are helping me to approach challenging situations more calmly and to deal with their consequences with more resilience. Having recently experienced a sudden drop in confidence following illness I was in the unexpected position of shopping for a 'self-help' book, particularly for dealing with the problems I have been having at work. There are many schools of thought in developing confidence, ranging from the vague spiritual/relaxation approach to an aggressive, confident = dominant tone, which to me would be an entire personality change. This book may not be a strategy that suits everyone and some potentially uncomfortable self-analysis is required, but for those who prefer a calm, focussed approach and who are willing to put in the effort and thought I would strongly recommend it.