Profile for Henry J. Blackmore > Reviews

Content by Henry J. Blackmore

Henry J. Blackmore (Western Australia)

Lincoln [DVD]
Lincoln [DVD]
Dvd ~ Daniel Day-Lewis

5.0 out of 5 stars Dramatic and rivetting performance by Day-Lewis, 11 Aug 2013
This review is from: Lincoln [DVD] (DVD)
Good to have an account of Lincoln's last days so well presented and affords an insight into the problems he had to face at the time.

The Blind Side [DVD] [2010]
The Blind Side [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Sandra Bullock
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable topic and acting, 11 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Blind Side [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
I've enjoyed much of Sandra Bullock's acting in many films in which she has appeared. Also the supporting actors were excellent in this film.

Invictus [DVD] [2010]
Invictus [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Matt Damon

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb subject both in topic and principal person and also for acting, 11 Aug 2013
This review is from: Invictus [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
William Hensley's 'Invictus' poem helped sustain Mandela's life in prison and remains a helpful support for anyone in like distressing circumstances.

The Presence
The Presence
by Dannie Abse

5.0 out of 5 stars A moving tribute, 14 Oct 2008
This review is from: The Presence (Hardcover)
Dr Dannie Abse has written a moving tribute to his departed beloved partner after 50 years. As a retired psychiatrist I found his self-assessment of his bereaved state deeply touching, particularly because I and my wife have been together nigh on sixty years in a loving companionship too. A reason for reading this book was my anticipation how I might cope if my wife predeceases me and I am left, like Dr Abse, musing over wonderful memories. I liked the way he juxtaposed the present with the past in his diary, and the appropriate, often amusing, anecdotes interspersed throughout. My belated sincere condolences and my hope that his loss has been alleviated by writing and sharing with others. PS: I must sadly confess to being a poetry-philistine, but I'm sure the "poetry-enamoured" will appreciate Dr Abse's poems.

In Ruins
In Ruins
by Christopher Woodward

5.0 out of 5 stars A beautifully evocative meditation!, 29 Sep 2001
This review is from: In Ruins (Hardcover)
As a child I read Shelley's poem "Ozymandias" and I was gripped by the vivid picture of ruins of power and wealth - a picture that has never left me. The poem spoke of long-gone living beings, of their aspirations and achievements, and of the tenuous nature of what we create in the physical realm. Yet these ruins remain to teach us the very things that Christopher Woodward so beautifully describes in his book. It has been a joy to read, to sit and think of all the ruins one can recall, and those which one should have recalled, and then to continue reading. It helps to have lived through three quarters of the twentieth century, as I have, to really appreciate this book. Highly recommended.

The Titfield Thunderbolt [VHS] [1953]
The Titfield Thunderbolt [VHS] [1953]
VHS
Offered by shannon-raven

5.0 out of 5 stars A Great Supplement to a Great Book!, 19 Aug 2001
Reading Simon Winchester's great book "The Map that Changed the World" reminded me of this movie which I saw with our children in the 1950s and in which they greatly delighted. Winchester describes how William Smith discovered so much of the geological strata of Great Britain in the early nineteenth century through studying the landscape and underground conditions of the region around Bath and Bristol. He describes how Smith supervised the cutting of a canal between Limpley Stoke and Camerton, the later route of the very railway on which the "Titfield Thunderbolt" was shot. This piece of information made me go and buy a video of the movie to see the landscape which enthralled William Smith. Indeed, there is more to this movie than the plot or the actors - apart from the train itself of course!