Shop now Shop now Up to 70% off Fashion Shop All Amazon Fashion Cloud Drive Photos Amazon Fire TV Amazon Pantry Food & Drink Beauty Shop now Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Shop now Shop now Shop now
Profile for Mo8ius > Reviews

Content by Mo8ius

Mo8ius

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
LEIGHTON DENNY Crystal Nail File in Aluminimum Case
LEIGHTON DENNY Crystal Nail File in Aluminimum Case

5.0 out of 5 stars Files nails excellently., 11 Oct. 2014
My first glass file. It's infinitely better than sand-stuck-to-card. The case is nice and solid. Good price and from what I understand, assuming you don't drop it, it'll last forever.

8 Hook Hat & Coat Stand Rack, Black
8 Hook Hat & Coat Stand Rack, Black

5.0 out of 5 stars For the price, couldn't want more., 11 Oct. 2014
For the price, couldn't want more. It's sturdy and well made. Assembly was easy and took maybe 5 minutes.

My Name Is Earl - Season 4
My Name Is Earl - Season 4
Dvd

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best season, but has some good episodes., 11 Oct. 2014
I really enjoy Earl. Season 4 is my least favourite - it's still good but... It's hard to explain, it just feels like the cast and writers are tired by this point.

It's a foregone conclusion that Earl is doing the list, and he'll face challenges and overcome them, etc. so this season seems to have some really whacky episodes (the one where Randy rides a boat in a tornado is a standout one), there's also some that are really good but sort of reveal too much (you'll find out who Darnell is and why he's in witness protection) - It's a good reveal, but I liked the mystery of Danell's past and the little hints.

Anyway, obviously if you already have seasons 1-3 then get this one, no brainer.

Compatible Printer Ink Cartridges for Epson printers D78, D92, D120, DX4000, DX4050, DX4400, DX4450, DX5000, DX5050, DX6000, DX6050, DX7000F, DX7400, DX7450, DX8400, DX8450, DX9400F, S20, S21, SX100, SX110, SX105, SX115, SX200, SX205, SX209, SX210, SX215, SX218, SX400, SX405, SX405WiFi, SX410, SX415, SX510W, SX515W, SX600FW, BX600FW, BX610FW, Office B40W, BX300F, BX310FN (14 inks)
Offered by ECS Inks

The Testing (The Testing Trilogy Book 1)
The Testing (The Testing Trilogy Book 1)

3.0 out of 5 stars A version of the Hunger Games for a younger audience., 11 Oct. 2014
Very difficult to rate this book. Firstly, I'm not a teenager, and therefore I realise I'm well outside the target market!

I don't want to make too many comparisons, but this is extremely inspired by the Hunger Games. If it wasn't then it's just the strangest coincidence in book writing history. However that's not a bad thing since the Hunger Games was great.

The Testing definitely isn't a new Hunger Games. It's shorter, less emotionally resonant and the characters aren't as deep. It's essentially the same plot though, with some exceptions, and the world is a little different, but basically similar.

I think this would be great for an audience that's a little too young for the Hunger Games because the moral questions it raises are on a more basic level, there's less to get upset about in the story and yet it still touches on these things.

Hive
Hive

2.0 out of 5 stars Barely Lovecraft inspired. Not a great book in general., 11 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Hive (Kindle Edition)
TL;DR I wanted to like this book more than I actually did.

"At the Mountains of Madness" is my favourite Lovecraft story and when I found this modern-day successor I was really happy.

Unfortunately it didn't quite live up to expectations.

It starts well, but seems to get stuck in a loop and I found it was extremely difficult to motivate myself to keep reading. It's extremely long, far longer than it needs to be - though it could be a clever writing device by the author to make it feel like I was stuck in Antarctica too! The story could be told just as well in maybe 1/2 the length, a lot of it was waffle or padding which made the whole story drag badly.

It's actually three stories. There's a modern day base, an expedition in the 1920's (before Mountains of Madness) and the third story is another 1920's expedition. In all honesty these 1920's ones are actually really good, I enjoyed them more than the modern day main plotline - but they really break up the main plot because of where they are positioned in the book.I would have preferred them to be either sold as supporting novellas or included at the end as additional material.

The Lovecraft subject matter (if you think of the story as half Antarctic survival and half Lovecraft horror you're pretty close) wasn't very well executed in my opinion. I don't want to spoiler the plot but Tim Curran has taken his interpretation of the original material and just run away with it, and it really takes it very far away from the original material. It feels unfocussed and a bit contradictory at times, though it's later explained that the things that seem contradictory aren't really "because XYZ complex plot fixes".

There's a lot of poorly written "worker" type characters who seem to swear a lot and stir up trouble to illustrate their working class background (I'm not sure why anyone that unstable would be sent to spend 4 months cut off in Antarctica), and the scientists are essentially useless and just there to exposition important plot points for the most part. There's conspiracy theories mixed with heads exploding, ghosts, vivisection and various other things. Essentially there's too much going on. None of the characters have any real depth except one that seems to be some sort of Mary Sue when it comes to innate skills and abilities.

So, I don't really know how many stars to give it. 3 because when it's good it's quite good, but 2 because the rest of the time it's really quite bad.

Delta Green: Denied to the Enemy
Delta Green: Denied to the Enemy

5.0 out of 5 stars WW2 Alternative history - Great read., 11 Oct. 2014
I'm not massively into Lovecraft fiction, but I enjoy the mythos, so I'm relatively new to most of it. I've read some continuations of the Cthulhu mythos, and most felt like they didn't quite fit.

I wasn't expecting much from Delta Green (I've never heard of it before I saw this book), but for 77p I thought "why not".

Not only was I surprised that this novel is a good story that's well written in itself - it also really seems to capture the Lovecraftian feel and brings it up to date and wraps in several real world inspired events.

I found that I cared about the characters, which there are a few, but not too many so that it gets confusing. The plotline is strong and believable (considering the subject matter) and to me it felt like a true WW2 novel, with added horror elements, a great way to go about it.

Highly recommended if you like Lovecraftian stuff. I'd also recommend it if you like alternative histories, since this is essentially an alternative WW2 secret agency/occult department story and you don't need to know anything about Lovecraft to enjoy it since it's pretty self-contained.

Yesterdays Gone: SEASON TWO (THE POST-APOCALYPTIC SERIAL THRILLER) (Yesterday's Gone Book 2)

3.0 out of 5 stars It's... OK., 25 Aug. 2014
I dropped out of this series after reading this installment.

I didn't feel like I was getting anywhere with the main plotline(s ??). It felt a bit like watching Lost again, in a bad way. After watching each episode of Lost I felt a bit like I'd wasted and hour and not really got anything from it. I felt the same after reading this. Much like Lost, I wanted to like it a lot, but I just couldn't get into it enough to buy the next 'season'.

The writing is quite good, some of the characters are OK.

I do love the concept of the way the authors have approached writing it.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 28, 2014 5:30 PM BST

Purple Trauma Shears / EMT Scissors Small
Purple Trauma Shears / EMT Scissors Small
Offered by Nightingale Nursing Supplies

3.0 out of 5 stars For the price - perfect., 25 Aug. 2014
I bought them to cut though plaster (bandages) when set, which they do. Struggled a bit with the very thick bits, but for £1.50 or something I'm definitely not complaining!

Modrock Plaster of Paris Bandage Bumper Pack - 36 rolls
Modrock Plaster of Paris Bandage Bumper Pack - 36 rolls
Offered by Max Medsurge

5.0 out of 5 stars I bought these for making a body (torso) cast for ..., 25 Aug. 2014
I bought these for making a body (torso) cast for a modelling project. They were exactly what I was hoping for and arrived very quickly.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6