Profile for Javier Caselli Fernandez > Reviews

Content by Javier Caselli...

Javier Caselli Fernandez (Malaga, Spain)

Logitech 942-000005 Extreme 3D Pro Joystick for PC
Logitech 942-000005 Extreme 3D Pro Joystick for PC
Offered by Amy`s Schätze

5.0 out of 5 stars Great joystick!, 15 April 2012
This is the first joystick I buy in many years, I'm planning on getting a private pilot license and I want to do some warm up first with flight simulators.

Now I don't have the time, space and money to spend in one of those classy joke+throttle+pedals combos which, great as they seem to be, are way out of the league of all but the most serious flight simmers out there, so I decided to look for an affordable alternative. Being a long time satisfied costumer of Logitech mice, and given the positive reviews of this one, I decided to give it a go.

I've been using it for several days now and I can say I made the right decision, this little one is beutiful, confortable, precise, and it truly delivers the goods. Unbeatable value for money IMHO. Following is a item by item review:

1) Joystick handle:
PROS: The guys at Logitech really nailed this one, it's extremely confortable and fits your (right) hand like a glove, it provides just the right amount of resistance and it's very precise.

The handle also twists around its vertical axis about 30 degrees clock and counter-clock wise to give you rudder control, again, it gives just the right amount of resistance and it's very precise.

6 out of the 12 programmable buttons of this joystick are disributed throughout the handle: A trigger button, a thumb button and another four on top of the handle, each one of them is just in the right place and has a nice feeling to it when pressed. Also in top of the handle you'll find a 8 direction rocker (commonly use to control the camera while flying).

CONS: It's a pity that the directional rocker doesn't have a button itself, it would be useful, for example, to reset the camera view back to front, but I'm really scrapping the barrel here to find defects.

Also, keep it mind that this joystick is most definitely for right handed people, if you're left handed, you'll be a lot happier looking elsewhere.

2) Throttle control:
PROS: Don't be fooled by its looks, it's really confortable to use, it's movement is nicely damped (it reminds of a camera lens focusing ring) and it's very precise.

CONS: In spite of how good it is, it's plain that it's rather small and no match for a dedicated throttle controller, but this we alrealy knew didn't we?

3) Buttons:
PROS: There are another six buttons on the left side of the joystick base which can be programmed with less used functions than those in the handle.

CONS: The two which are further from you can be just a bit ackward to reach, I'd avoid programming them with anything for wich you desired very quick access. Besides, this six buttons, although not bad at all, they just don't feel quite as good as those integrated in the handle, maybe it's because you have to reach with your left hand to operate them instead of having them right at hand as the others.

4) Base:
PROS: It's big without being huge, and quite heavy with four big rubber pad on the bottom, put it in the place you desire on the table and rest assured it won't budge from there during gameplay.

CONS: None.

Conclusion:
This is a great joystick that delivers a great bang for the buck, it has this unmistakable quality feeling you get from all Logitech products (at least those I've owned throughout the years) and handles like a dream. Perfect for those who, like me, are casual flight simmers looking for a good controller without breaking the bank.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! (For right handed people)
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 3, 2013 9:30 PM GMT

Philips AVENT SCD510 DECT Baby Monitor
Philips AVENT SCD510 DECT Baby Monitor

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sensibility and bright LEDs noise level display!, 5 Aug 2011
I bought this monitor as a gift for a good friend of mine who recently gave birth to her first daughter. They tell me they're delighted with it, the sound is crystal clear and it's very sensible to any sound in the baby's room, she particularly likes the LED noise level display, because it's very bright and clearly visible, thus allowing them to be having a chat, watching a movie or whatever without worrying about not hearing the monitor, the LEDs will warn them of any "trouble".

All in all, a very sound product from Philips, hightly recommended!

Philips SensoTouch RQ1180 GyroFlex 2D Rotary Rechargeable Shaver with Soft Travel Pouch
Offered by Care Beauty Shop

5.0 out of 5 stars Yet another winner shaver from Philips, 3 Aug 2011
I've been a Philipshave user since the day I started shaving, like my father and grandfather before me. I have very sensitive skin so using a wet shaver daily is out of the question, therefore Philips electric shavers have been the way to go for me since day one, and even with them, some irritation always occured, mostly in the lower neck area. So how does this new model stand against my old shaver?

Well, it's simply amazing, by far the closest shave I've ever had with an electric shaver, and it feels only slightly shy of what I get from my Gillette Fusion, and all this with very little or no irritation, the less I've got so far from any shaver!

The head is extremely easy to clean, just rinse the head under the tap with warm water, open it, and rinse the insides as well. Yes, it's that simple! You don't eve have to pop the head off the body if you don't want to. The same goes for the included trimmer (which, by the way, does its job pretty well also), just rinse it under the tap.

The shaver itself looks very cool, with a nice polished metal finish in the front and a rubberized back that gives and extremely confortable and secure grip, the best I've got so far from any Philipshave. It also feels like a quality, well finished and designed product in your hands, which in part justifies the premium price of this appliance.

So what's not to like? Very few things, the first one is the charger stand, it's fancy looking and the shaver also looks nice when attached to it, but I miss the possibility of being able to charge the shaver without the stand, the more given that the stand does not fit into the provided travel pouch, which means you'll have to take it separatedly if you want to bring it with you. That said, few will take the charger stand with them to most journeys given this shaver's massive battery life, you can spend a few weeks away with this shaver with no need to recharge whatsoever. So unless you're leaving for a long period of time, just the shaver with a full charge should be way more than enough. Besides, some other reviewers have complained about the charging stand looking fragile, I beg to differ, it's not like you can step on it without breaking it, but I seriosly doubt that packaging the stand within the clothing in your luggage can result in any damage.

Directly related to the former paragraph, the other thing I didn't like about this shaver is the provided travel pouch, in this matter it really is in clear dissadvantage with my former Philipshave, which is just shy of 20 years old! It looks and feels cheap, almost like something out of a giveaway or one of those courtesy gifts you get for assisting to some event or other. It's very thin and feels like cheap plastic, providing little or no protection at all, nothing like the nice travel pouch of my good old shaver, which is made of thick, slightly padded fabric material that still looks like new after so many years. The inside of the pouch is not so bad though, it's made of a soft fabric to avoid scratches and comes with a little pocket to fit the trimmer and the cleaning brush inside it. Knock knock! Anybody home at Philips? Yeah, I'm talking to you guys! Shame on you, this is supposed to be a premium product for which you're asking premium money, I think we deserve a little better! Please sort it out for future releases?

If I could take away half a star for these little anoyances, I would, but I think it'd an excesive punishment to give a 4-star rating when the main course, which is the shaver itself, it's nothing short of outstanding. Cool look and feel, great build quality and a hasselfree close shave either dry or wet. Highly recommended!

Cheers!

P.S. A note to possible buyers about the charger's plug. I bought this shaver from Spain, where we use the Continental Europe Sockets (Types C/E/F), the so-called "worldwide" plug that comes with this shaver is a BS 4573 British shaver socket which looks very similar to the European plug but its prongs are a little closer to each other and also are a little thicker. Still, they work in Continental Europe, you have to force it a little bit but it fits fine with no risk of damaging either the plug or the socket. Most hotels in the World have universal sockets in the bathrooms so it should never be a problem, but that's not always the case at homes, if you have any doubt when traveling abroad or want the peace of mind of not having to force the plug in any way, get yourself an universal AC adaptor, they're cheap enough! :)

AeroBed Explorer Single
AeroBed Explorer Single

5.0 out of 5 stars Big and comfy!, 28 Mar 2011
This review is from: AeroBed Explorer Single (Sports)
Now that's what I call an airbed thought for big&tall guys! I'm six foot tall and I use XXL T-shirts (you get my meaning, right? :D), and I can tell you there's no lack of space whatsoever, I can tell you I've slept on much smaller (and less comfortable) beds in some hotels. Size it's no all this airbed has to offer, comfort is also at a very high level, you can really get a nice night sleep on this bed; I'm not saying it's the same as YOUR bed at home, that it is not(nor any other airbed for that matter), but honestly, it's a really, really nice place to get a good a rest.

The included electrical pump gets the bed ready in no time, and deflating it is even quicker, either way, in two minutes tops you're ready to go! That said, and although it's not enough to take away the 5-star award from this bed, I must say it's somewhat anoying that the pump only works on batteries or if connected to the 12V DC input (car lighter), while the AC mains adaptor is only good for recharging the batteries. Granted, a single charge of the pump is supposed to be good for several inflations, but really, the people at Aerobed should've designed the pump to work also while connected to the mains.

All in all, a very sound product: Big, comfortable, quick to setup and, apparently, very sturdy for either indoor or outdoor use. Also, it comes with a nice soft pouch to carry it around and it's extremely light.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Book 7) [Adult Edition]
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Book 7) [Adult Edition]
by J. K. Rowling

5.0 out of 5 stars Great finale!, 5 Aug 2007
I'll start saying that I simply loved this book the same as I loved the rest of the series. A magnificent work and a great finale after so many years of great material from Ms. Rowling.

I've read some reviews in which they say that they didn't like the epilogue or that there were left too many loose ends, I must say that I really don't think that way, I believe the main issues and loose ends of previous books are neatly tied down and I personally loved the epilogue, I won't write much about it since I don't like spoilers in reviews, I'll simply say that it's nice to read how those beloved characters fared after so many years.

There's little more to add, if the previous six installments were a must-read, this one's deserves at the very least the same treatment, not only because of the quality of the story itself but also because this seventh station is the end of the line of a tale that is, among many other praises, simply beautiful. It is with kind of a bittersweet feeling that I write this review, sweet because this book was yet another great story about Harry, Hermione and Ron; and bitter because, even though I understand that everything must come to and end, I'm a bit sorry that this great tale is finally over, count me in among those that will miss the wait for another istallment of Harry Potter. :)

Pentax Optio S4 Digital Camera [4MP 3xOptical]
Pentax Optio S4 Digital Camera [4MP 3xOptical]

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply amazing!!, 21 May 2004
A little more than 100 grams (battery & memory card included) and smaller than an credit card! It doen't only fit in any pocket, if you are not careful the camera might get lost inside it!!
As for picture quality, a point-and-shoot camera user couldn't ask for more, sharp pictures, accurate colours, plenty of shooting modes, and features like manual focusing and manual white balance (apart of the auto settings, of course)that put many larger cameras to shame. When I read a couple of professional reviews before purchasing it, they mentioned some softness in the corners, I don't know if my eyes are untrained, but the softness is nowhere to be found, I guess a firmware update has improved picture quality even further! Battery life is surprising given the size of the battery (about 90 minutes in capture mode with the LCD screen on). In conclusion, if you are looking for a good camera with a take-it-anywhere size, there simply isn't a better choice.
Not everything is perfect of course, a 4 megapixel CCD so small as an unavoidable drawback: Image noise. You won't notice it up to A5 printings and at A4 is still perfectly acceptable (for myself at least), but if your planning to make croppings of your photos to make ampliations of them afterwards, you'll be happier with a larger CCD camera, preferably a SLR. But hey, not everything can be advantages or else professional photographers and enthusiasts wouldn't buy those huge SLRs.

Contact
Contact
by Carl Sagan

5.0 out of 5 stars So human, so scientific, 18 Dec 2001
This review is from: Contact (Paperback)
This book is simply brilliant,it flowlessly combines science, science fiction, and a deeply moving story. What would happen if an alien civilization much more advanced than us made contact with us? What would they think about us? How would we feel when we knew that we're no so special as we thought, that there are people more intelligent, more advanced and above all, more civilliced than us? Sagan brilliantly played with these questions along the story, wich tells us about the life of Ellie Arroway, the most deeply involved astronomer in the whole affair of finding a message from allien beings, decoding it, and finally make contact. Through Ellie's point of view, we witness the whole story: Team work of scientist around the globe, political affairs (deep criticism of virtually every political system is descreetly included in Ellie's conversations with her coleages), religious affairs, the achievement of the goal, the hipocrisy and cruelty of politicians, and private aspects of Ellie's life as the death of her father, her relation with her mother and stepfather, her love affairs; this may seem beside the point in this story, but, are scientific questions and doubts such as the existence of extra terrestrial intelligence more important than "simple" personal questions and doubts about our lives? Sagan also played brillantly with this question, and when I finished the book, I started to ponder a few things, as the scientific I am, and as the human being I am. As I said, a deeply moving and exciting story.

War of Souls: Dragons of a Fallen Sun v. 1 (Dragonlance)
War of Souls: Dragons of a Fallen Sun v. 1 (Dragonlance)
by Margaret Weis

5.0 out of 5 stars Krynn at its best! Only Weiss and Hickman could do it!, 8 Aug 2001
Dragonlance if finally back! After the magic was lost in Dragons of Summer flame, I thought Krynn had become a dull world, I was curious about what Weiss-Hickman could do about it, and the result is most impresive, I just couldn't put the book down, I won't include any spoilers here, but I'll say that Mina is a most curious, interesting, and misterious character, this and the mistery of what happens to Goldmoon makes this book a must have for Dragonlance lovers (of course, our friend Tass plays a big part in everything!). Now I can't wait to read the next book to find out who's the new God (I've my own guess), what happens to Goldmoon, and if Lord Dalamar finally makes a come back.