Profile for Rainer Scott > Reviews

Snowpiercer (Region 2)
Snowpiercer (Region 2)
Offered by Acid Vibes

1.0 out of 5 stars I must be taking crazy pills ......., 7 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Snowpiercer (Region 2) (DVD)
All the glowing reviews - talk about "the emperor's new clothes". As others have remarked, trawling meta-critic sites (like Rotten Tomatos) then watching it makes you feel like you're taking crazy pills.

It is, without doubt, "one of the worst films I've ever seen". When will people wake up to the fact that no budget is big enough, no special effects or sets distracting enough to turn a crap screenplay into a good movie?

The explanation for the almost unanimous praise by "the critics" must be that they are selected for their jobs by proprietorial directive, as the most PC of the PC, and perceive it as some kind of civic duty to praise a film so "worthy" in its political and 'ecological' allegorising (or preaching?), no matter how crass and heavy-handed that might be.

Not even in "so bad it's good" territory - where it's funny it's unintentional. If you want an example of something in that vein I'd recommend, for example, "Lifeforce" (1985) as a far more enjoyable exposition in high-camp, big-budget misfiring.

Dry
Dry

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning on the original vinyl release ....., 2 Jun. 2016
This review is from: Dry (Audio CD)
I bought this album on vinyl, the month it was released, and on my Systemdek IIX/Rega/Nagaoka TT, out to a decent Arcam amp and Mordaunt-Short speakers, it remains one of the most memorable, exciting, and powerful experiences I've ever had outside of a live venue.

The sheer weight of the drums is still a vivid memory. Richard Head (geddit?), the credited producer, did the small ensemble proud.

Unfortunately I don't have the LP anymore.

Some years later (I think in HMV just as it was closing) I did get hold of a re-press which I still have, evidently from exactly the same stamper, but that stamper was plainly mnearly worn out (distinct lack of 'sparkle' in the sound), and the pressing is one of the worst I;ve ever encountered - so noisy as to be pretty much unplayabl, clicks and bangs so bad that I actually worry about damage to the stylus/cartridge (I didn't actually play it until several years after buying it .......).

The CD, as so often, comes nowhere near matching the visceral power that the LP conjures up.

I'm keeping an eye out for an affordable, original-release copy of the LP, and that's what I would recommend to anyone who wants to hear this extraordinary album as it was meant to be.

ETA >> Strewth! Just had a look for a copy of the LP on Discogs - £50 and up! £95 and up on Amazon! Oh well ......

ETA 2 >> Well, I've recorded the duff LP at 24/96, and then run it carefully though some de-clicking software and ..... I'm glad to say that it isn't half bad.

I might torrent it.

Compact Digital Multitester With Diode And Hfe Test
Compact Digital Multitester With Diode And Hfe Test
Offered by PoundMax

5.0 out of 5 stars Replaced an equally "budget" (read; cheap) multi-meter I'd owned ..., 1 Nov. 2015
Replaced an equally "budget" (read; cheap) multi-meter I'd owned for 10 years, and this more than a year ago,it's worked perfectly in all modes in that time. That makes it worth the price.

Berghaus Spectrum Men's Beanie - Black, Large/X Large
Berghaus Spectrum Men's Beanie - Black, Large/X Large

2.0 out of 5 stars doesn't feel like it would stay on my head in a strong wind ..., 13 Oct. 2015
Different to the last one of these Berghaus beanies I bought in the same size (L -XL) a few years back.

This one lighter, and it doesn't feel like it would stay on my head in a strong wind (let alone a gale), which kind of defeats the point of the thing.

Disappointed. Not good value at all.

Edit to update >> as I suspected, the hat doesn't stay on in high winds, and cycling in it is out of the question. So, only useful for wandering around on cold but CALM days. This is partly due to the combination of the "generous" sizing, but mostly because it's simply too thin and light.

I should add that I have ALWAYS bought XL (not L) in hats and crash helmets - back in the 70's-80s I had trouble actually finding helmets big enough.

Would the alternative S/M fit? Maybe, but I have no intention of finding out - Berghaus messed up with this item, and it will give me pause when considering any of their (always expensive) fleece products in future.

I regret not returning it while I could.

Hellstorm: The Death of Nazi Germany, 1944-1947
Hellstorm: The Death of Nazi Germany, 1944-1947
by Th Goodrich

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 13 Oct. 2015
Oh. My. God.

Punch The Clock
Punch The Clock

5.0 out of 5 stars having recorded it on a good system, over and over, 2 Sept. 2015
This review is from: Punch The Clock (Audio CD)
It's bizarre that this album has so few reviews.

It is, without question, a masterpiece.

I used to own it on vinyl back when it was first released, and listened to on my Walkman DD33, having recorded it on a good system, over and over, at the time.

I gave a good friend of mine a cassette copy just before he emigrated, who then fell in love with a Spanish girl (in Spain) - the two of them also played it until they wore the tape out.

Very strange that so few people know about this great work.

Waiting to Be Heard: A Memoir
Waiting to Be Heard: A Memoir
by Amanda Knox

5.0 out of 5 stars on the whole) is that Amanda Knox almost certainly wasn't comfortable with having this book published, 14 Jun. 2015
I finished "Waiting To Be Heard" within 24 hours of it dropping through my letterbox.

Something that needs to be grasped (and isn't, on the whole) is that Amanda Knox almost certainly wasn't comfortable with having this book published, but she really had no choice, not because of a need to be, well, heard, but to get her family at least some way out the massive financial hole they were in (to the tune of $millions, by all accounts) after years of legal costs and travelling to and from Italy.

Given this, I almost felt like a voyeur reading it.

Doubtlessly like many people, I had come to assume that I knew something about Amanda Knox and her personality, after having followed she and Raffaele's ordeal since their conviction in late 2009. This was a rather superficial of me - I had allowed lots of speculation by media pundits and bloggers, the random pictures taken during and after her release, and a few media interviews (IOW, her speaking with people who were as good as strangers to her) to sort of 'osmose' into my mind.

Waiting To be Heard has disabused me of this.

First off, she is a much better, more mature writer than I had expected. The four or five sessions in the 24 hours it took me to finish it involved very little skimming (where it did, it was only where sources/material I was familiar with were being quoted), because the prose is lucid and simply flows very well.

At the end of it, it was clear that my assumption that I "knew" Amanda is the same as that made by countless others after having been exposed to the intense media scrutiny of a person who has had unwanted fame and notoriety forced on them. Hence the almost bizarre divergence of "opinions" (or rather, I would say **feelings**) about who and what she is.

I don't know Amanda, I've never met her and I doubt I ever will, but having read this book, I certainly have a much better idea of what I might expect if I did. And I think I would be rather impressed.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 20, 2015 5:16 PM BST

DECEIT: The Meredith Kercher Murder Mystery (A #SHAKEDOWN Title Book 1)
DECEIT: The Meredith Kercher Murder Mystery (A #SHAKEDOWN Title Book 1)

1.0 out of 5 stars The lamest and most cynical attempt to cash-in yet seen ....., 2 Jun. 2015
I have no intention of paying for this - I do not wish to contribute to this man's bank account.

However, I have read the Amazon preview ("look inside"), and it is quite sufficient to know what to expect. I suggest anyone curious about the author and his work do the same.
Comment Comments (8) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 23, 2015 2:49 PM BST

Shakespeare's Sonnets
Shakespeare's Sonnets

2.0 out of 5 stars Two Stars, 1 May 2015
Not well formatted for Kindle at all.

But it's free, so TWO stars instead of ZERO.

Runaway Boys
Runaway Boys

5.0 out of 5 stars Single of the year when it was released. That's ..., 5 April 2015
This review is from: Runaway Boys (MP3 Download)
Single of the year when it was released.

That's what I felt at the time, and in retrospect, I was right.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4