Profile for S. Haigh > Reviews

Content by S. Haigh

S. Haigh "Tremendous ;-)" (UK)

Dream Design Surf
Dream Design Surf
by Marcelo Bravo
Price: 19.26

5.0 out of 5 stars Good to get UK Entrepreneur perspective, 2 Oct 2012
This review is from: Dream Design Surf (Hardcover)
Thanks Marcelo.

Some compelling war stories, and a coherent strategy for building a lean start-up.
Refreshing to read an entrepreneur's account that is UK/Thames Valley rather than US/Silicon Valley focused.
We're all the richer for it.

As you suggest, it is readable on a short-haul flight.
I managed most of it on the short hop to Amsterdam.
Now finishing the exercises is different matter.

Recommended for anyone wanting a faster, less painful business lift-off.

By Appointment: 150 Years of the Royal Warrant and Its Holders
By Appointment: 150 Years of the Royal Warrant and Its Holders
by Tim Heald

5.0 out of 5 stars A thing of beauty, 22 Jun 2012
Fascinating topic, described with thought and flair. Beautifully bound. Every patriot should own one. Or two if you have a large family.

How I Raised Myself from Failure to Success in Selling
How I Raised Myself from Failure to Success in Selling
by Frank Bettger
Price: 6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful, simple, sales advice, 5 Jun 2008
Frank Bettger, as in "Bet-cher life" wrote the original in 1947. Frank sold life insurance. What a stormer. It was recommended on a Stuart Lotherington QUIS sales course. I bought the book a couple of days later. Frank's advice has been worth many times the cover price to me.

So many rock-solid tips, backed up by well told stories: Keep records, and make time to plan; Shoot for the bulls-eye, find the most important reason for your customer to buy; Make appointments, take a recommendation, praise your competitors; Look great.

A polished gem of a sales book, for anyone interested in helping others to come to great decisions. I loved it.

Ross Perot: My Life & the Principles for Success
Ross Perot: My Life & the Principles for Success
by Ross Perot

5.0 out of 5 stars Sincere, folksy wisdom from a guy that built two multi-billion dollar corporation, 22 May 2008
He looks a bit of a neo-con nutter. His foray into politics may not have received broad support. That said, Perot did a phenomenal job building EDS and then Perot Systems into world class tech companies. In this book, Perot tells a great story, going from small town beginnings to astounding business success.

It has been an inspiration to be in my career, and also in my attitudes to my children. Not what I expected when I picked the book up for the first time.

To achieve a tenth of what Ross did with EDS, might be a a fitting testament for most business people. To do it twice is a like a business fairy-tale come true.

Common Approach - Uncommon Results: How Adoption Delivers the Results You Deserve
by Ian Gotts

5.0 out of 5 stars Behind the process models, some real insight., 22 May 2008
Ian Gotts was,I understand,one of Accenture's (or was it AC then?) youngest partners. He left that great company to float his own boat. The book is in some senses two in one. The process maps and case studies are something of an advertorial for the pretty good software that Ian's company has developed.

The real gem though is Ian's thesis that "Results equal Initiatives times Adoption squared". Ian backs it up with compelling stories from his years in the business. It is an amazing theory, and one of which I am reminded of almost every working day. There are too many implications to cover here. If you are in the business of technology, may I suggest that you order a copy, read it, and start reaping the benefits.

Uncommonly good.

How to be Rich
How to be Rich
by J. Paul Getty
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: 4.75

5.0 out of 5 stars A terrific success book. What a surprise., 22 May 2008
This book sat on my shelf for several months. I wasn't quite sure why I bought it. The name Getty had associations of an eccentric, miserly, super-rich, recluse. I think that must be one of the later Gettys. J Paul writes in punchy, credible prose. It is packed with great examples of clear, structured business thinking. While the numbers may now be a little out of date, I found Getty's assumptions and arguments to be really compelling. I'm so glad I took the time to read it.

Up there with Think and Grow Rich as a true success classic. Highly recommended.

Think And Grow Rich
Think And Grow Rich
by Napoleon Hill
Price: 7.19

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific. Original may be better. I still loved this version, 18 Sep 2007
This review is from: Think And Grow Rich (Paperback)
I bought this version not having read comments here. I understand the comments about the original from the purists. I still think the value of the work shines through. For perhaps fifteen years "Think and Grow Rich" was on my to-read list. If you're in a similar position, I urge you to get hold of a copy (though do consider the original). For me it really is the Daddy of self improvement publishing. Go on. Do it ;)

My Mother Was a Bag Lady
My Mother Was a Bag Lady
by Josiane Behmoiras
Price: 7.87

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, beautiful, not easy, 24 Aug 2007
A discount price but not a cheap book. The words sit up and ask you to think. That Josiane came through it all able to write so beautifully is remarkable in itself.

It reminded me of the Beautiful Mind. That was a fantastic film, yet for me, this book was better. It captured for me the difficulty that comes with seeing someone you love being too happy...and then frighteningly sad. An amazing achievement.

I read the closing chapter standing up on the train. While not give to public displays of emotion, it made me cry.