Profile for splodge > Reviews

Content by splodge

splodge (Portsmouth)

Certified Refurbished Kindle Fire HD 7", Dolby Audio, Dual-Band Wi-Fi, 32 GB - With Special Offers [Previous Generation]

4.0 out of 5 stars Unputdownable!, 20 July 2014
I've had this for a couple of weeks now - and I just can't put it down! Admittedly I'm hooked on the free Township game - a variation on Farmville - but I've also found loads of free books, as well as using it for internet browsing. Of course the frustration for me is that I'm with Virgin BB so have no access to free Wifi when I'm out of the house, but I don't think it's worth going back to BT just for this! I would have given 5 stars but - as others have pointed out - why no instructions?

Township
Township

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfectly enjoyable time waster!, 6 July 2014
This review is from: Township (App)
The first app I downloaded to then kindle. Can't put it down. Love the sheep dance after you shear them. Also the bonkers idea of delivering groceries by helicopter. And no hard sell for upgrades.

DryBum Waterproof Bike Seat Cover
DryBum Waterproof Bike Seat Cover
Offered by Dasse ltd

1.0 out of 5 stars Crazy!!, 19 July 2013
I leave my bike at the cycle rack outside work every day. If it looks like it'll rain I'll take the FREE small carrier bag, which I leave tucked under the saddle, slip it over the saddle, then knot the handles to stop it blowing off. Takes literally seconds to put on and take off. If I've left the saddle unprotected and it's wet when I leave work, I whip the bag out, put it on the saddle and I've still got a dry bottom! Even more importantly, it must be a turn-off to the thief seeing a bike with a carrier bag on it!
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 5, 2014 5:23 PM BST

Storage Options 53401 BikeCam
Storage Options 53401 BikeCam

3.0 out of 5 stars Wish I'd read the reviews..., 13 Feb 2013
Like others I was impressed when I opened the box and found what looked like a sturdy camera, with simple controls and a strong light. I was less impressed when I fitted the mount onto the handlebars and the `quick-release' seemed to release unaided just by screwing it a turn to far :( I very rarely wear a helmet, so I've used the bungee type helmet strap to secure the camera to the handlebars.

I do have a couple of other quibbles - the camera records 5 minute clips (no problem with that) but when it gets to ten clips (i.e. 50 minutes) it keeps recording and starts deleting the oldest files! I realise you can get a larger memory card, but a little warning in the manual would have helped! Also, I find the buttons fiddly, not user-friendly.

I wish I'd read the reviews here before buying. It's cheap product that could be great value, apart from some design flaws.

Qualtex Glass Plate For Universal Microwave Ovens
Qualtex Glass Plate For Universal Microwave Ovens
Offered by L.M Electrical

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, 2 July 2012
I broke the old microwave plate of my Sharp - I hadn't realised the dish I was picking up had leaked and stuck to it! WAn't too sure about this as one review mentioned it not fitting the feet underneath. This was fine but the legs of the metal grille didn't quite fit. All they needed were a gentle bend to fit and everything fits together now.

Creative Zen V+ 2GB MP3 Player with Video Playback & FM Radio
Creative Zen V+ 2GB MP3 Player with Video Playback & FM Radio

4.0 out of 5 stars Good mp3 player for the price, 3 July 2007
I've only had the mp3 player a week, but so far, so good...

I had a Sony walkman mp3, but this was nicked on holiday last month, hence the Zen. I am comparing the two, but this may be unfair as the Sony cost £20 more, and in fact has gone up since I bought it in March. So the Zen is cheaper, and I'm afraid it does look it! However, I am more concerned with the useability, storage capacity, radio function and battery life. In all these respects it is equal or better than the Sony.

It has better navigation to find albums, rather like the ipod, with a video display screen rather than the scrolling text of the Sony. But it is not so straightforward just to get continuous music, as when an album finishes, it stops playing. I need to find out how to use the playlists. But it took me some time to suss out the Sony's functions. My Sony had 2 GB storage, which means over 30 albums, more than enough to store for my listening purposes, as I don't want the hassle of scrolling through dozens of CDs worth of music. The radio is OK, although I haven't worked out how to re-order stations, and of course it's just FM. At some stage they'll start putting DAB on these players I guess.

Bad points? The absurdly short USB lead. And the cheap earphones. Also, the software, as another reviewer has pointed out. If you want to load more music, it doesn't show what's on there already! I'm using Real Player to transfer music.

Sony NWS705 - 2GB Walkman MP3 Player - With Noise Canceling Headphones - Violet
Sony NWS705 - 2GB Walkman MP3 Player - With Noise Canceling Headphones - Violet

3.0 out of 5 stars Good mp3 player for the price, 24 Jun 2007
I'm only an occasional Amazon customer, so I didn't realise the supplier Hughes Direct would not use the Royal Mail, unlike Amazon. This meant a 10 mile trip out of town to collect. Now I hear Amazon may be changing carrier, so if you don't happen to be home when a package arrives, God knows where you'll have to go to collect.

As to the product, I like it. It may be more complicated to get to grips with than an i-Pod, but I prefer the look, and the sound quality is excellent. The Sonic stage software is a down side. It is very slow to load new songs, or even just to delete. I have used much cheaper mp3 players before which are much more straightforward to load. It also took some time to understand the illustration showing how to advance by album, not song. You need to pull out the little wheel on the end!

For me the great advantage is the playing time of the USB battery, which must be over 10-12 hours, unlike the previous players which needed AA battery changes every couple of hours. I could only fit a fraction of my CD collection on, but I don't see the point in putting everything on this type of player, as you have to scroll through every album/song to find something specific. 2 gigs is plenty. The FM radio for me is as useful as the mp3 player, although when travelling recently I couldn't for the life of me work out how to tune in to new stations! In all, well worth the price I paid.

I don't understand the other reviewer's comment about corrosion. You have to make sure the USB lead fits snugly, or there will be no connection. Like any electronic product, I think it's probably not a good idea to leave it out in the rain!

Unfortunately my player was nicked by a pickpocket while on holiday, and I see the price of a new one has gone up 20 quid!

Antics
Antics

5.0 out of 5 stars My Album of the Year, 8 Feb 2005
This review is from: Antics (Audio CD)
I first heard Interpol in HMV a few months ago. I did what I can't remember doing since I was a teenager (I'm now, erm, past my Thirties) and asked the assistant what was playing. He told me it was Interpol and the song was from a compilation for a TV show called 'The OC'. I wasn't prepared to buy a CD with mostly 'Sk8r' rock, but he led me to the 'I' section of the shop, where I found they had two albums out.
For the first time in years I bought not one but two albums by a band I'd only heard about 2 minutes of. And what a great decision! Like others I hear Joy Division (I was a teen in 1980): I also hear a band called The Chameleons in there, but I don't suppose anyone remembers them :o)
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 18, 2014 9:45 AM BST

Intermission [DVD] [2003]
Intermission [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ Cillian Murphy

1.0 out of 5 stars Intermission? Interminable, more like!, 6 Feb 2005
This review is from: Intermission [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
If Al Qaeda suspects were made to sit through this film I've no doubt Amnesty would object that it was a form of mental torture. After ten minutes of wobberley camcorder docusoap film I was ready to switch off, but persevered for another 20 minutes or so.
OK - the only reason for getting this film out was to see the gorgeous Kelly Macdonald. But even she got herself undressed under the bedclothes! And female fans of Farrel may be put out that the main (?) character is an even prettier boy than Colin :o). The only interesting character was the wayward cop, who initially I had assumed was the local gangland boss, so it was a let down to find out his actual occupation. Hmm. Bit stereotyped, methinks.
Others have commented on the 'strong' language, as Channel 4 euphemistically calls it. On the whole I think here it is acceptable, but objectionable in front of children, even if actors. And I consider swearing AT children - in film or in real life - a form of abuse (certainly exploitation).
Well, if you're a fan of soaps with a lot of violence and swearing, you might enjoy. For anyone else, why waste two hours of your life?