Profile for R. T. Stevens > Reviews

Content by R. T. Stevens

R. T. Stevens "Rog" (Somerset)

The Untold History of the United States
The Untold History of the United States
by Oliver Stone

4.0 out of 5 stars Shining a light into the shadows of the USA, 29 Nov. 2013
I think that this a very timely exploration of the goings on behind the publicly expressed state policy of the USA. It is of course possible to dismiss the book as mere sensationalism without hard evidence, but too much of it rings true in my opinion. Perhaps as a European I've been more aware of the truth about US policy and at times I found the "revelations" simply confirming what I already knew, which is why I didn't give a 5-star rating.

The War that Ended Peace: How Europe abandoned peace for the First World War
The War that Ended Peace: How Europe abandoned peace for the First World War
by Professor Margaret MacMillan

5.0 out of 5 stars A first-rate in-depth study, 29 Nov. 2013
I find this book full of information and insights that put the flesh on the bare bones of a well-worn history. It also helps to explode some of the myths about the origins of the War and to shed light on the actual outlook and behaviour of the participants in the preceding quarter century. In addition it is written in a very readable style, I wish that books like this had been around 50 years ago when I was a student!

Beadalon De Luxe Coiling Gizmo
Beadalon De Luxe Coiling Gizmo

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple but very effective, 29 Nov. 2013
This is a very simple device for coiling wire when making jewellery, but it makes the task easy and gives excellent results. With a number of rods of defferent sizes it handles all the thicknesses of wire that I use from 0.6mm up to 1.5mm.

Therese and Isabelle
Therese and Isabelle
by Violette Leduc

2.0 out of 5 stars Over-hyped, 17 April 2013
This review is from: Therese and Isabelle (Paperback)
This book was written back in the 1950s and has been subject to censorship because its subject is a schoolgirl lesbian relationship. But this is the 2010s and it didn't strike me as being a classic novel but as a rather breathless description of fairly unexceptional behaviour. I also found the translation to be rather clunky, perhaps this was due to following the original French rather than turning it into flowing English prose.

Real Women: An Appreciation of the Older Woman
Real Women: An Appreciation of the Older Woman
by Eric Wilkins

4.0 out of 5 stars Real Women - Real Pleasure, 17 April 2013
This another publication by the late lamented Erotic Print Society showcasing the work of photographer Eric Wilkins, this time featuring more mature models.The book demonstrates how attractive women in their thirties, forties and even fifties can be.
As usual Eric is able to establish a rapport with his models so that he can set the scene and then let the subjects present themselves. Because these are mature women some are more reticent than others about revealing themselves but on the whole they are relaxed and self-assured.
I find much in this book to delight in - these are fully developed women showing off their natural charms, the antithesis of today's waxed, shaven and bleached nymphettes.

Andrew James Coffee, Nut and Spice Grinder - Powerful 150Watt, Stainless Steel Blades
Offered by Andrew James UK LTD

4.0 out of 5 stars Basic but effective, 17 April 2013
I use this as a coffee grinder and have found it to be basic yet sturdy and reliable. With a one-speed motor and no coarse/fine ground selection it needs a little trial and error with the hold-down On button to get the right coffee strength. I decided that it works best with a short pulse followed by a little shake to re-settle the ground beans and a final longer pulse. The only slight problem is getting all the ground coffee out and cleaning the base unit (the cover can easily be wiped out).

Top Shelf Girls
Top Shelf Girls
by Eirc Wilkins

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Shelf - Top Class, 17 April 2013
This review is from: Top Shelf Girls (Paperback)
This book has first place in my collection. Published by the late lamented Erotic Print Society it is an introduction to the work of photographer Eric Wilkins.
Included are essays describing Eric's career and methods plus the history of erotic pictures, but don't worry, the book is illustrated with dozens of photographs, several in black & white but the great majority in colour, taken from Eric's archive that stretches back to the 1970s.
Eric has the ability to connect with the girls so that he sets the scene but they present themselves. If you enjoy looking at fully developed women with shapely bodies, firm curves and unshaven bushes then this is the book for you. The girls reveal all but in a relaxed, self-assured way and they may tease you, invite you and challenge you, after all it is we who have come to see them.
Oh, and there's an added bonus - stockings galore!

Hairy Pussy Girls: Totally Unshaven & Natural Bushes
Hairy Pussy Girls: Totally Unshaven & Natural Bushes
by Walter Bosque

4.0 out of 5 stars A good buy although not quite the best., 11 April 2013
Having enjoyed the sensuality of "hairy pussy girls" for many years I looked forward to receiving this book with its joyous cover. After spending some time exploring the many delightful photographs however, I feel that it falls short of my expectations.
Almost two thirds of the book features just three out of only a dozen girls included, with one of them providing over fifty photographs arranged in groups throughout. I found that this made the book seem rather repetitive, with similar shots and small changes of pose or camera angle, and overall out of balance.
I would have preferred at least double the number of girls to have been included and for a wider range of types, for example natural blondes, and one or two more mature subjects (there are many thirty and forty year olds who are just as attractive as teens and twenties).
In addition, although I like to see the transition from concealed to revealed I felt that there were too many "glamour" shots with the girls posed fully or partly dressed and which seemed to be more a celebration of the photographer's art than of the girl's natural allure.
Other reviewers have felt that some of the girls have unattractive faces or bodies. This is clearly a matter of personal taste and I find it quite pleasing to see a girl whom I might meet in my local store, although I too have my favourites and my also-rans.
My criticisms apart I still found much in this book to savour and delight in and I am happy to have it as an addition to my collection.