Profile for davektt > Reviews

Genova [DVD] [2008]
Genova [DVD] [2008]
Dvd ~ Hope Davis

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, 4 April 2010
This review is from: Genova [DVD] [2008] (DVD)
I'm troubled that so many reviews here and elsewhere describe Genova as 'boring' or plotless. I'll admit it breaks off rather abruptly at the end, and I felt like another scene wouldn't have hurt. And I'd also say that the idea of calling it a 'supernatural chiller' (as the cover review quote does) is misleading, to the point of being damaging. I found the film, despite it's sombre subject, very uplifting. Perhaps this has something to do with my having left the UK for New Zealand, and finding myself missing Europe (especially France and Italy) more than I'd like. The filming of the city is gorgeous, and reminds me somewhat of 'Don't Look Now' (though obviously in a different season), but more importantly the performance of the three main characters was very impressive. Both the girls were very convincing in their roles - particularly impressive for the younger actress - and Colin Firth played his standard subdued role in a way that I thought worked very well. For me though, the actresses (Willa Holland and Perla Haney-Jardine) performances were the more impressive and substantial part of the film, and I look forward to seeing their other performances in the future.

As far as the lack of plot goes, perhaps my strong enjoyment of French cinema makes me more tolerant of a less staged, Hollywood-like storyline. It's simply more of a (mainland) European-style, moderate budget film, rather than a star-vehicle. I like the fact that not every scene is obviously linking from the last one into the next. I don't really see that a film needs to have a firm, step 1 to step 10, narrative to make it enjoyable. I was very happily immersed in the performances and the setting, and my only complaint is that the film wasn't longer. But perhaps this leaves us more opportunity to think through the next stages of the story ourselves, if we so choose.

Anyway, now to perk up the Amazon sales dept by buying the thing!

Smokey Rolls Down Thunder Canyon
Smokey Rolls Down Thunder Canyon

3.0 out of 5 stars I like it, but I don't like it like I like some of his other albums, 25 Oct. 2007
I like this album - it is elegantly put together, and has an enjoyable range of styles within it. I take what the other reviewer said; it definitely grows on you with a few listens.

Nevertheless, I still find myself pining for the type of stuff we had on Rejoicing in the Hands or Nino Rojo: very stripped-down songs, often just a voice and an instrument, where you could appreciate the achievement of making so much out of so little. While there is nothing much to complain about on this album, the increased production values, budget, and number of performers, means there is not much of this simple music to be enjoyed.

I'm slightly alarmed that I'm sounding like those grumpy folkies who cried 'Judas' when Dylan picked up an electric guitar, but as much as I enjoy the new stuff, it still jars a little - I keep waiting for a 'Will is my friend', and it just isn't there.

Basically, if this was a new artist/band I would probably have given it a higher rating, but because of my attachment to the earlier albums, I can't enjoy it quite as much as I'd like.

Au Revoir Les Enfants [VHS]
Au Revoir Les Enfants [VHS]
VHS

5.0 out of 5 stars Why is this not on DVD?, 21 Oct. 2004
Why why why why why? This has been one of my all-time favourite films since I first saw it when I was about 11. It is powerful, moving and elegantly filmed and acted. Why isn't it on DVD? Louis Malle is not an obscure director with a low fan-base, he is one of the best known French directors, so why isn't it on DVD? There are far too many bad/fashionably edgy foreign films available for this film of true quality to be unavailable on DVD.

Live At The Wetlands
Live At The Wetlands

5.0 out of 5 stars great car music, 2 Jun. 2004
This review is from: Live At The Wetlands (Audio CD)
A very different album to the studio album, as you might expect. 6 songs of between 8 and 15 minutes each which seem to be, as the first song suggests, extended jams. This however is not a criticism. The songs wash over you and fully engage you, and it's hard not to clap your hands or stomp your feet as they say you should. 'Pressure' is a phenomenal song, particularly the incredible high notes reached by the bass player. It really is one for a long car journey, if you don't want to make a fool of yourself with your antics, or for a party if you and your friends don't care!

Unclassified
Unclassified
Offered by westworld-

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, 2 Jun. 2004
This review is from: Unclassified (Audio CD)
Very satisfying buy. I also saw the band on the Jools Holland show and bought the album and the live one (which is also pretty good!) the next day. Not really much to add except that I'm surprised that people are criticising 'Smile' which is an excellent song, maybe my favourite on the album. Blues is not about playing fast all the time - even Hendrix used to play the slow blues as well as the fast stuff, let alone the original bluesmen. It shows a range of quality which promises good things ahead. There's nothing wrong with some 'mainstream' style songs, especially when they are considerably better than the norm.

Breaking the Waves [DVD] [1996] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]
Breaking the Waves [DVD] [1996] [Region 1] [US Import] [NTSC]

3.0 out of 5 stars Depressing, 17 Feb. 2004
There's a lot of hype round Lars Von Trier, but based on this film I wouldn't go out of my way to watch another of his. While it has some interesting points to make about the oppressiveness of religion, the dependency of people's lives, and so on, I found it inhibited by the fact that I couldn't feel any particular belief in the two main characters. For me, the only character worthy of interest and sympathy in the film is the doctor and possibly the friend (although the husband is partially redeemed at the end). There is also an element of confusion for me - are we really to believe that the world is full of evil people like the 2 people on the ship? And incidentally, what happens to them?

What Not to Wear for Every Occasion : Part 2
What Not to Wear for Every Occasion : Part 2
by Trinny Woodall

1.0 out of 5 stars What not to read, 10 Dec. 2003
Why would anybody want to read a book by two supercilious women who spend their time making people feel bad about the way they dress. In all honesty clothing is not that important! It's really an indictment of modern television that we have so many programmes like their's committed to making people conform to a particular set of styles and values.
If only

Bread And Roses [DVD] [2001]
Bread And Roses [DVD] [2001]
Dvd ~ Pilar Padilla
Offered by HalfpriceDVDS_FBA

4.0 out of 5 stars Well directed, well acted, well I never!, 9 Nov. 2003
This review is from: Bread And Roses [DVD] [2001] (DVD)
See what happens when American money is invested in quality. Ken Loach directs a wonderful, understated and poignant film, based on true events. The largely unknown cast (though including the Oscar-winning Adrien Brody, in another fine performance, but not quite as good as his Oscar acceptance speech - whatever you thought about the war, it was good to see the advertisers being made to wait while he said his piece!)adds to the feeling that these are real people with very real problems, which is perhaps, difficult to achieve with iconic actors involved. Despite the fact that they are unknown, however, there is not a bad performance to be found, and its one 'star', Brody, shows that his Oscar was no fluke with a well-balanced performance.
Fantastic. On a side note, it would be nice, if only for the challenge of it, to see Loach create at least one film divorced from his socialist ideals, but then why should he, if he doesn't want to and can provide films of the quality of this?

Reform and Revolution in France: The Politics of Transition, 1774-1791
Reform and Revolution in France: The Politics of Transition, 1774-1791
by Peter Jones

1.0 out of 5 stars Dull, dull, dull, 9 Nov. 2003
Dull, dull, dull, dull, dull, dull, dull. Sorry to press the point but this book is really dull. Having bought it as preliminary reading for a Uni course, I expected it to provide some sort of reasonably readable but nonetheless academic account, but after wrestling with an array of maps, many of which seem redundant, and an eloquence of prose usually reserved for the scientific subjects (ie there was none!) I gave up with this after a chapter.

A Ma Soeur! [2001] [DVD]
A Ma Soeur! [2001] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Anaïs Reboux

3.0 out of 5 stars Maybe I misunderstood...., 9 Nov. 2003
This review is from: A Ma Soeur! [2001] [DVD] (DVD)
I saw this film on TV in the UK, so I'm not sure if the end had been cut as another reviewer mentioned, but I'm still struggling to work out what exactly the last few minutes of the film were supposed to be. Up until then it had been interesting insofar as examining methods of pressure regarding sex etc, but the end just didn't fit. Who was the random guy, why did he do what he did, and assuming that some sort of sex was the end result, why (perhaps a shallow point here) would he have chosen the particular victim over the others? I suppose the director might say that if I'm asking why so much then the film got me thinking, but I just don't get the relevance. And finally, why was the younger sister so willing to witness what happens without doing anything. (Sorry about the ambiguous language, but I'm trying to avoid spoiling the film for those who haven't seen it.)

Page: 1 | 2