Profile for Brian Conmy > Reviews

Robin and Ruby
Robin and Ruby
by K.M. Soehnlein

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't get me wrong here, 4 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Robin and Ruby (Hardcover)
I am a huge fan of The World of Normal Boys, the prequel to this novel. I've read it multiple times now and it is probably my favourite book of all time. To me it really was the gay Catcher in the Rye. It was cohesive, relatable, enthralling and most important, it was real. Robin was a perfect character creation and his exploits were outlined perfectly in the one novel.
That's my problem with this book. It tries to continue a story that should never be continued. It would be understandable if it was simply an expansion upon the character of Ruby, but it's not. Robin is still the centre piece of the novel and I hate this fact. This is not a bad book, I suppose I must begrudgingly admit. It is not however, anywhere near the calibre of the previous book.

Robin McKenzie exists to me only in The World of Normal Boys, he will always be the 13 year old outsider living in a world beyond his understanding.

Absolute Sandman - Volume 1
Absolute Sandman - Volume 1
by Neil Gaiman

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 10 April 2010
not hugely into comics at all, just heard this is a must read and everyone was totally right! Don't let the price tag put you off