Profile for Mr. P. Fixter > Reviews

Content by Mr. P. Fixter

Mr. P. Fixter (Wakefield, West Yorkshire)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Boys from the Blackstuff [DVD]
Boys from the Blackstuff [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michael Angelis
Price: 6.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Viewing, 18 May 2009
This series is worth buying just for the original 1970s play alone ("The Blackstuff") which is quite simply one of the best drama plays I have ever seen.

The series that followed is absorbing, each episode focusing on a different character in the group. One of the best known series of the 1980s and well worthy of a place in any DVD collection.

Seconds of Pleasure
Seconds of Pleasure
Offered by EliteDigital UK
Price: 36.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Stuff, 16 May 2009
This review is from: Seconds of Pleasure (Audio CD)
I originally came across Rockpile in the 80s on a Ronco compilation LP which featured many artists, including Rockpile, and their tracks "Teacher Teacher" and "Wrong Way".
In the 90s, I looked them up and came across this CD and I have to say it's a truly excellent album. If you like your bands with good rhythm guitars and drums, you will love the album.
All of the tracks are excellent and real foot-tappers. I am pleased to say that many of the tracks are BETTER than the two I originally heard. "If Sugar Was As Sweet As You", "When I Write The Book", "Pet You And Hold You" & "Fool Too Long" are particular stand outs.
I'm now off to seek out some of the member's solo stuff! Highly recommended!

Frankie Boyle: Live [DVD]
Frankie Boyle: Live [DVD]
Dvd ~ Frankie Boyle
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT
Price: 2.72

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 2 Mar 2009
This review is from: Frankie Boyle: Live [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this on the strength of Mock The Week, where I enjoy Frankie's below the belt humour. However for me on the DVD he goes too far - swearing continuously throughout, jokes about disabled kids... I mean, come on, that's just not funny.

If he can cut down on the swearing he'd be much funnier. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind the odd F-word in context, but every other sentence and it's too much. Not comfortable viewing.

I watched 15 mins, turned it off, and gave the DVD away the day after.

I had such high hopes, but ended up being let down.

I'll still watch him on Mock The Week, where he excels, but I will not be buying any more of his DVDs if this what he is going to be serving up.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7