Profile for Mr. P. Fixter > Reviews

Content by Mr. P. Fixter

Mr. P. Fixter (Wakefield, West Yorkshire)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Here Comes Science
Here Comes Science

4.0 out of 5 stars Great CD & DVD!, 24 Jan 2010
This review is from: Here Comes Science (Audio CD)
I have been a fan of TMBG since Birdhouse In Your Soul was a top-10 hit here in the UK in 1990, and have kept up to date with them ever since. I have continued to buy their many albums over the years and this is one of the best. Of the kids albums they have released, this is the best of the lot.
My three year old son sings along to the songs "Roy G. Biv", "I Am A Paleontologist", "Electric Car", "Solid Liquid Gas", whilst favourites of my wife and I are "Meet The Elements", "The Bloodmobile" and "Put It To Test".

TMBG have always written some of the most catchiest tunes around and this is no different. Even after just a couple of listens the album grabs you.

The DVD brings the songs to life even further and the video for "Put It To The Test" in particular is excellent and very funny.

But the whole point of this album is that it is educational. My son is not learning science yet at school but I am sure when the time comes for this to be on the curriculum that he will learn from the songs.

It's great to read the reviews on Amazon's US site that the album is getting playing in classes from coast to coast across America.

Finally I just wish the Johns and the band would come across to the UK more often. I've not seen them over here since around 2003 - please come back guys and play your fantastic stage show here in the UK again soon.

Stay Lucky [DVD] [1989]
Stay Lucky [DVD] [1989]
Dvd ~ Jan Francis
Price: 7.05

3.0 out of 5 stars A Steady Series, 24 Jan 2010
This review is from: Stay Lucky [DVD] [1989] (DVD)
This first series of Stay Lucky comprises only three episodes. It is a light-hearted drama with a far fetched storyline. Dennis Waterman is a fine actor but this is not his best work. However it was something different for him after "Minder". Yorkshiremen may recognise some of the locations around Leeds etc.
Recommended as an easygoing drama, but nothing more.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 28, 2010 11:06 AM BST

Edge Of Darkness - The Complete Series [1985] [DVD]
Edge Of Darkness - The Complete Series [1985] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Bob Peck
Price: 9.73

3.0 out of 5 stars It's OK!, 24 Jan 2010
If the storyline wasn't so confusing I would have given this more stars. It is hard to work out who is on whose side and only in the last episode does it become clear. This however is probably part of its appeal.
It's one of those where I will probably have to watch it again to fully appreciate it, as I know it is held in high regard.
Still, it's an enjoyable series and I recommend it to anyone here, and maybe most will "get it" a lot sooner than I did. The penultimate episode is by far the best of the lot.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 24, 2013 11:39 AM BST

Comfort And Joy [DVD]
Comfort And Joy [DVD]
Dvd ~ Bill Paterson

3.0 out of 5 stars It's OK!, 30 Oct 2009
This review is from: Comfort And Joy [DVD] (DVD)
I'd been toying with the idea of getting this film for a while, and saw a short exceprt on BBC4's recent Scottish Season which prompted me to go out and buy it.

The film is OK - not the best British film I've seen of the period. The plot is sketchy, but there are some funny lines, good acting and it's always nice to look back at the old cars and buses etc. I'm therefore giving this 3 stars.

Showaddywaddy - Rock And Roll Music [2007] [DVD]
Showaddywaddy - Rock And Roll Music [2007] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Showaddywaddy

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, but picture quality iffy, 28 Sep 2009
Cherry Red are to be commended for releasing Showaddywaddy's first ever DVD, not to mention the bonus of a lengthy career spanning interview with Dave Bartram, Romeo Challenger and Danny Willson.
However, the rating loses one mark for me for the poor picture quality. I've got bootlegs of the same performances with crisper pictures.
However don't let this stop you from buying the DVD - it's great.
Since this came out however, two further and much better Showaddywaddy DVDs have been released by Voiceprint.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 17, 2011 5:12 PM BST

Restless Natives [DVD] [1985]
Restless Natives [DVD] [1985]
Dvd ~ Vincent Friell
Price: 6.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 26 Sep 2009
I like British films of the 70s and 80s and bought this film after seeing a preview on BBC4's recent "Scottish Season".

This doesn't come anywhere near any other British film of the same period - the plot is not funny in the slightest.

Not a lot to say other than this is generally a very poor film!

Once Upon A Time In The Midlands [DVD]
Once Upon A Time In The Midlands [DVD]
Dvd ~ Robert Carlyle
Price: 3.90

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Film, 20 Sep 2009
This is actually a really good film, very funny, and I laughed out loud a number of times throughout. If you want a good laugh with some genuine emotion thrown in, I recommend this film definitely.....
"I love your eyes....both of them!" What a great line!

Charley Says... Vol 1 & 2 (More than 280 live and animated classics from the Central Office Of Information archives[DVD]
Dvd ~ Various
Price: 8.82

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 6 Sep 2009
I was born in 1978 and just about remember the Charley's Cat public information films, and also the one with the guy getting electrocuted by the drill.
I was really pleased to find this DVD was available and bought it straight away.
The films are excellent, and a great snapshot of their time.
It's great to see some old faces (actors from The Sweeney and Juliet Bravo) popping up, not to mention the old cars.
The messages are often still valid today so are still doing their job after 20/30/40 years.
Brilliant stuff and highly recommended. Watch it with a few beers for the ultimate nostalgiafest!

Box Canvas Print of Paul Ross
Box Canvas Print of Paul Ross

5.0 out of 5 stars No more nightmares, 28 Aug 2009
This review is from: Box Canvas Print of Paul Ross
My two year old son has been waking up every night for the past 6 months, crying "Mummy.... Daddy....".
However, since we took delivery of this Paul Ross canvas and placed it on the wall in his room, me and the missus have had interruption free nights as Paul looks down on my son and reassures him. Get Paul Ross into your kid's bedrooms tonight.

One Summer - The Complete Series (2 Disc Set) [1983] [DVD]
One Summer - The Complete Series (2 Disc Set) [1983] [DVD]
Dvd ~ David Morrissey
Offered by 101Trading
Price: 10.02

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 31 May 2009
I came across this DVD on Amazon quite by accident, and bought it on the strength of the reviews.
I had never heard of the series and was too young to remember it being broadcast originally.
However, as a fan of older television (they don't make tv like they used to), I am building up a nice collection of DVDs.
One Summer is a worthy addition to my collection and a most enjoyable series. It's just a shame there are only 5 episodes, but that is part of its charm that they didn't string it out longer then necessary.
If you have never heard of One Summer but like older TV drama plays, then make sure you buy this, you won't be disappointed, I loved it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7