Profile for Eleanora > Reviews

Now and Forever
Now and Forever
by Bernie Nolan

5.0 out of 5 stars Bernie, you're a Diamond., 27 Jun 2013
This review is from: Now and Forever (Hardcover)
Have just finished this. Bernie has clearly been very blessed with her personality, her life and the people in it. What a lovely gift this book is to Steve and Erin. Very inspiring book and person.

Bhagwan: The God That Failed
Bhagwan: The God That Failed
by Hugh Milne

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Interesting., 13 Jun 2013
No reviews?! How strange - this book is decades old.
Anyway, it was very well written and I looked forward to picking it up every night to see what would happen next.
Wow, Sheela - definitely sounds like a sociopath! Scary how these people inveigle themselves into positions of power over others.
Yes, all in all very interesting, would recommend.

Born Evil
Born Evil
by Kimberley Chambers

1.0 out of 5 stars Pap for the Masses?, 12 Jun 2013
This review is from: Born Evil (Paperback)
I'm a few chapters into this and it reads like it's consciously been written for thickos. The simplification in the writing structure makes me wonder if the author has also written for magazines like 'Chat' and she can't lose that style. Lots of stuff like 'She hated him, never wanted to see him again' (not an actual quote from the book). The characters and their relationships just don't ring true for me and, of course, cliches abound.
I'm reading on in the hope of a good plot and of seeing a baddie get some comeuppance.
I know, though, that I'll never read anything else by this author!
Update: Finished it now.
Born in Hell.... E-VILLE!! dan dan DAH!! Hmm. The kid was just a bad b**tard. A woman gave birth to a not very nice son and then (spoiler) she gave birth to a nice one(wow), so that's ok then. Ahhhh.
The hype and title suggest something a lot more extreme and complex than what you actually get with this book.
On the positive side, the author has the brains and balls to write a book with a good plot structure. With time and practice, I'm sure she can write MUCH better books than this one. I'm not talking high-falutin or anything, just better than an elongated school essay.

In for the Kill: A True Story of Hunting Evil
In for the Kill: A True Story of Hunting Evil
by C J Hart

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Read, 17 May 2013
I'm up to the bit where CJ is becoming more deeply involved - from a distance - with the sociopathic serial killer Kenneth Bianchi.
I'm finding the writing to be in turn unintentionally comedic - 'We made love furiously..' - and quite quite brilliant (sorry can't recall any brilliant bits off the top of my head but they're in there).
I do think some of it seems, or at least reads, like fantasy.
If it's all true, I must applaud the author for baring her soul so.
I've seen her elsewhere online, something unrelated to the book, and there's a porky going on either there or in the book, regarding her age...
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 3, 2014 9:31 AM GMT

Kris Jenner... and All Things Kardashian
Kris Jenner... and All Things Kardashian
by Kris Jenner

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for Fans, 8 April 2013
I love Kris and the Kardashians but Kris clearly isn't a writer.
Nevertheless I enjoyed the book for all the Kardashian info and tidbits.
Kris, I'll help with editing your next book!

Bold As Brass
Bold As Brass

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, 6 Nov 2012
This review is from: Bold As Brass (Kindle Edition)
Loved this book. I'm as far from a 'businessy' person as you could get - I look at business-minded people with bewilderment and fascination, and I found the business side of this book so interesting - maybe it's just the way Hilary tells it.
Not just the business stuff though, all of Hilary's life story is interesting and she has a good and amusing way with words!
I'm now one of Hilary's biggest fans - a very very clever lady with a great sense of humour and a big heart. :)

It's So Easy (and other lies): The Autobiography
It's So Easy (and other lies): The Autobiography

5.0 out of 5 stars Good ol' Duff, 15 Oct 2012
Ahh, Guns n Roses, I'm 17 again! An interesting read and an overriding impression of a thoroughly decent guy.:) The transformation he wrought on himself is amazing - watch the Youtube interviews with him from his active addiction days (try the 'Cribs' one), and vids of him nowadays, to see!

Down Came the Rain: A Mother's Story of Depression and Recovery
Down Came the Rain: A Mother's Story of Depression and Recovery
by Brooke Shields

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just for PND depression., 30 Aug 2012
I'm about 1/2 way through this.
I think Brooke expresses the experience of depression extremely well.
For this reason, I think this book pertains to any type of serious depression.
What's really interesting to me about Brooke's case - of developing PND - is that she had no prior experience of mental illness - to the extent that she almost seems to be saying she's never really felt unhappy or out of control.
That is a contributor, it seems, to the fact that she almost refused to believe she had a mental illness, finding it shameful. Then again, many people do feel stigma about mental health difficulties. I'm not sure that will ever significantly change in a world that will always have 'allsorts' of people, ie. there will always be 'ok' people to compare oneself to.
Just shows that anyone can suddenly be struck down with serious mental illness.

The Mistress's Revenge
The Mistress's Revenge

5.0 out of 5 stars Yes & No (but 5 stars anyway!) Warning, spoilers., 25 Aug 2012
I looked at the reviews on here for this book when I was about 1/4 way through it.
I thought the 1 star ones were really silly and queried why they would say things like (to paraphrase) 'but she's a horrible lady!' and 'it didn't make sense, he's a pig, why would she like him?'. The whole point of the book is that the characters are imperfect and the narrator has become unhinged.
Finished the book this morning.
I ate it up from the beginning. Lots of people have experienced the obsessiveness that is part of serious romantic/sexual rejection, and that's what this book speaks directly to. Whilst taking that obsession to its fullest extent.
I became quite obsessive myself in wanting to see what happened next, page after page, in this book. Couldn't wait to pick it up every night.
I did feel progressively wrung out by it though!
The narrator/main character really does draw you right into her dark spiral.
The yes & no of my review title is because this book is, in my view, brilliantly written. The character portraits are superb. I could see Clive (looked a little bit like Marco Pierre White for the 1st half of the book) clearly in my mind's eye, and after a while, Susan too. The narrator was more elusive but it didn't matter.
For all that, and for the masterful control of the proceedings (unexpected ending for me but well done, and even a bit uplifting!), I thoroughly enjoyed this book.
The 'no' bit is because the overall effect is a little emotionally draining. Whilst a good read, this book is in one sense, definitely not a 'fun' one! Dark, not lighthearted.
I know it's been 'done before' but I would love to see this book turned into a well-made British film.
Clive would be shown in all his spineless (all the more convincing because of his attempts - verbally anyway - to be 'honourable') glory, and what fun casting all the other players! (gis a job?!). Precious Emily, no-nonsense Susan (Hermione Norris? I'm sure she good do a good Aussie accent), poor Daniel, poor Sally's kids, the hired thugs, Sian, the party and hospital observers.
Just one thing I found a little perplexing, and this might just be me but why are Sally/Susan made, as early to mid 40s women in age, to sound like they're in their 60s or something?
Anyway, I recommend this book, it's very well done. On the strength of it, I'll be looking out for more of Tamar Cohen's works.

The Invisible Ones
The Invisible Ones
by Stef Penney

1.0 out of 5 stars Bewildered.., 16 Aug 2012
This review is from: The Invisible Ones (Paperback)
... this is a highly lauded writer?
I'm only part-way into the book and I've done several double-takes at the author's way with words. The turn of phrase is laboured, clumsy and, yes, bewildering.
'..a breathless [August] day of milky, inky, blue..[she goes on to say that this is how August days are meant to be but rarely are]' Huh? Inky blue conjures a dark night sky for me!
'..admitting his suspicion to a professional was a corrosive acid which, once unstoppered, could never be put back..' Er, you haven't poured the acid out of the bottle yet! In your description anyway. It's not a gas and doesn't escape by itself.
Just two examples of the disappointing (compared to all the hype) writing. Apart from that, I find the characters, and their conversations, so far, totally unconvincing.
I'll persevere with this book for a while longer but - and especially after reading the other neg reviews - I don't think it's going to much change my mind!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7