Profile for Eleanora > Reviews

HTC Desire 510 SIM-Free Smartphone - Grey
Offered by matzgom

3.0 out of 5 stars Think Twice, 28 Nov. 2014
HTC Desire 510 - Product Review:

Pros

- GREAT for watching CATCHUP TV, if you download the appropriate apps such as 4od/BBCi etc. - brilliant sound and picture.
- FAST SPEED for 'net.

Cons

- THIS PHONE IS RUBBISH FOR TEXTING - RUBB. ISH.
This really is a biggie, a very disappointing one. The dictionary does not contain or know words such as 'me' or 'no' - really! It will either not recognise or suggest random simple words like those mentioned, or will capitalise them unnecessarily. Phone keeps switching between predictive and non-predictive, for no apparent reason. Very very laborious to text for these and other reasons/glitches. I mainly dictate into the phone now and that's a problematic other story - punctuation?!
For someone who does not like 'txt spk' but texts a lot, this is a nightmare. I don't like QWERTY on a phone (maybe because I'm a touch typist used to that on proper keyboards), so want to sick to 'phone' keyboard.
-SOUND QUALITY ON CALLS - not good. Muffled at the best of times, speaker function is rubbish, strange when sound is so good for tv/vids.
-CAMERA - very poor picture quality and NO FLASH!
-SIZE of phone - yes it's good for watching stuff but if you haven't got big man's hands, you might want to swerve this as it's difficult to hold and operate one handed - great dropping potential ...
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 17, 2015 10:45 PM GMT

CHRISTIAN LACROIX C'EST LA FETE PATCHOULI 2ml EDP SPRAY
CHRISTIAN LACROIX C'EST LA FETE PATCHOULI 2ml EDP SPRAY

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Perfume, 15 Oct. 2014
Lovely, strangely smells much nicer than the big bottle I subsequently bought.

Shopping Snowman - Printable Amazon.co.uk Gift Certificate
Shopping Snowman - Printable Amazon.co.uk Gift Certificate

5.0 out of 5 stars Go for It, 15 Oct. 2014
Great, no problems at all, went down a storm with recipient.

Bomb Cosmetics Finest Handmade Soaps Chunks Gift Set
Bomb Cosmetics Finest Handmade Soaps Chunks Gift Set

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Nice, 15 Oct. 2014
What a disappointment.
Nearly all the bits of soap were a clear dark purple 'dewberry' type colour.
I'm not sure what they smelled like, or were meant to smell like, because there seemed to be an overall 'spicy' and slightly stale smell to all the pieces as a whole.
I tried to use a couple of the more creamy looking bits but didn't like the smell (as above) of them so binned them and gave the rest to a charity shop.
I wonder if this is Bomb's way of getting rid of the really old stuff or something.

Until You're Mine
Until You're Mine
by Samantha Hayes

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Thriller, 15 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Until You're Mine (Paperback)
I thought this was a good thriller.
Believable characters and well written.
I would say there are three 'twists' towards the end of the book. I guessed the 'biggie' very early on, plus one of the other ones.
There's one bit of speech, from one of the characters, during one 'reveal' that I found quite stunning. Just four words, so simple but so good.
I did find the female detective's home life/child concerns a bit tedious but I suppose 'something' was needed there as filler for the structure of the book.
Still would recommend this book, especially in contrast to some of the really bad 'thrillers' being peddled out there.

No off Switch
No off Switch
by Andy Kershaw

5.0 out of 5 stars The Elusive Good Book, 5 Oct. 2014
This review is from: No off Switch (Paperback)
I'm giving this book 5 stars because, for the most part, I found it interesting and gripping, and because Andy K. has a great way with words and a story.
The above makes up for the fact that I ended up skimming most of the 'foreign correspondent' stuff (sorry Andy, I admire your bravery and work in that regard but really enjoyed the rest of the book more), and for the fact that AK's musical tastes and opinions are .. quite different .. to mine, shall we say.
For instance, AK basically says U2 are crap (sacrilege - have you listened to their early albums?), that the output of Simple Minds is akin to the soundscape encountered on 'opening a window'. (Nay lad! In fact, that's probably part of why they're good). Kurt Cobain, was in Andy's opinion, of 'meagre talent' and left an 'insignificant [musical] legacy'. (WHAT?! Kurt Cobain was brilliant as a singer/musician and I'm not saying that because it's trendy or something, he was GOOD, nyeh!).
Andy digs Bruce Springsteen and Country & Western music, sorry but say no more . .
To be honest, I think it's just a personality thing, AK is clearly a natural optimist Tigger person, and I can see that reflected in a lot of his musical drives.
Anyway, I digress.
Andy's done 'dead well' with his foray into book authordom, as he has with all the other aspects of his career, and that's clearly reflected in the Amazon review graph.
He certainly has very powerful speech - the put-down of Tony Blair and one of his sidekicks - excellent!
Highly recommend this book.

THE ACCIDENT
THE ACCIDENT
by C.L. Taylor

2.0 out of 5 stars Yawnish., 10 Sept. 2014
This review is from: THE ACCIDENT (Paperback)
Hmm. Am maybe a quarter way through this and have to say, after all the hype, I'm feeling a growing sense of dismay.
The writing, in my opinion, is very plinky plonky.
From the fabulous media reviews I was left thinking 'oh wow, this book must be masterful in every way, can't wait to read it.'
Instead, I'm feeling that The Accident is yet another in this current rash of books where the author has thought of a 'twisty turny' plot skeleton - and then hung some not very good writing on it to flesh it out.
So far, lots of clichéd characters and . . there's a lovely dog ..
Oh dear, I think the dog is going to get it at some stage . .

Chinese Paper Fan - pk6
Chinese Paper Fan - pk6
Offered by Grids London

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Fans, Great Price, 30 Aug. 2014
3 fans were a bit crumpled when you opened them out so I think they're probably useless but even with the remaining 3, this buy is GREAT value. These fans certainly do the job they're meant for - with very little wrist effort, you get a really cooling effect, really fast, on your face, or wherever you want it. Perfect for my imminent hospital trip. Recommended!

Aladdin Aveo 0.6 Litre Water Bottle, White Lotus
Aladdin Aveo 0.6 Litre Water Bottle, White Lotus

4.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, 30 Aug. 2014
This bottle is great but I've not got a great head for litres etc. and didn't realise it would be HUGE! It makes a perfect bedside water bottle, rather than for the handbag. I think I'll buy the smaller size too.
No leaks noticed so far but then I've only used it upright.
There is a very rubbery/plastic smell from the grey layer that goes round the outside, near the top of the bottle, I'm not sure if it's this that creates a plastic-y 'taste' when drinking from the bottle.
I think that is wearing off a bit though.
Nice looking bottle and it's great the way the cap is 'layered' so that you can either drink from a spout, or take the next layer off and drink from a wider opening, like with a glass or cup.

Kipling Women's PRACTI-COOL Shoulder Bag  Red Rot (Wine Red Lacq) Size: 39x21x18 cm (B x H x T)
Kipling Women's PRACTI-COOL Shoulder Bag Red Rot (Wine Red Lacq) Size: 39x21x18 cm (B x H x T)

4.0 out of 5 stars Winter Bag, 30 Aug. 2014
I was dying to get a Kipling with the red laquer finish.
In the flesh, it's hard to see why it's described as 'red' as it's more of a raisin-y very dark brown/purple actually.
Very nice though, and is perfect to be my 'Winter Bag'.
Being a Kipling, I am hoping it will last 'forever'.
No gripes about this bag apart from the 'swingy' aspect of the long shoulder strap. The ends of it are attached to 360 degree turnable things and I'd much rather they were fixed, think the bag would then sit better on the shoulder and be more manageable. Didn't notice this feature before I bought, have taken one star off for that.
Still, this bag is growing on me more and more. :)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7