Profile for colB > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
DEMCiflex Square Black Magnetic Filter for Radiator 2 x 140 mm
DEMCiflex Square Black Magnetic Filter for Radiator 2 x 140 mm

1.0 out of 5 stars Too small., 15 Sept. 2014
The quality seems fine, but the size is not. This is for 2 140mm fans, so the filter gauze should be 140 plus the surround. Instead it is 140 including the surround. As a result it limits the air flow and is tricky to position without leaving unfiltered gaps.

Casio Men's Alarm Chrono A158WA-1 Silver Stainless-Steel Resin case Quartz Watch with Digital Dial
Offered by Same Day Ship Services

4.0 out of 5 stars Great retro watch at an excellent price, 15 Sept. 2014
Great retro watch at an excellent price.
Watch out though, I don't have large wrists and the strap was barely long enough.
I also found that I was getting scratches on my skin from sharp edged on the clasp. I had to sand them smooth with some wet and dry sandpaper.

Computer Gear Desktop PC Handheld Microphone with adjustable stand - Black
Computer Gear Desktop PC Handheld Microphone with adjustable stand - Black
Offered by McDONALDS_ELECTRONICS

1.0 out of 5 stars It's junk, don't bother., 16 Aug. 2014
This was bought to go with another item as a birthday present. It was dead on arrival. Not a peep. There were also scratches on the body of the unit which is suspicious. Very annoyed and disappointed.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (Nintendo 3DS)
The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (Nintendo 3DS)
Offered by GameExplorers

3.0 out of 5 stars Much too easy!, 30 Nov. 2013
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
After ordering this game with the "delivery on release day option", my excitement was maxed out when it eventually arrived three days late - not a word of apology from Amazon either!

So what's it like?

The cut scenes are artful and dramatic with high quality animation and effects, music is of the usual extremely high standard, and the story is coherent and cleverly turns the ability of Link to become 2D on walls from a gimmick into an integral part of the plot.
It all look and sounds amazing, I had been worried about the 2.5D approach with the slightly warped top down view, but it really does work well. The graphics are beautiful, I particularly enjoyed the use of bump mapping in some of the environments, really pushing the 3DS.
The attention to detail is verging on obsessive (as you would expect with Zelda) - little things like bees that attack you for disturbing them, until you tame them and they attack your enemies instead, and a musical duo in the pub that for the right fee will play perfect little arrangements of classic Zelda tunes, countless subtle layers to the animation and the way the world reacts to the various weapons Link uses...

So why only 3 stars?

This game is shockingly easy. I've played and completed all the Zelda games except the second (didn't appeal to me), and this is by far the easiest. It took me just over 23 hours to complete the game, including most side quests. I died four times, three due to carelessness at the start when hearts are low. I only died once during a boss battle, and this, I discovered later, was because I had failed to obtain one of links basic abilities (running). I only discovered the run ability after completing all the dungeons/battles apart from the final one.

I didn't get stuck :(. One of the joys of all Zelda games is getting stuck, then searching, wracking your brains trying everything, then the satisfaction when you finally eventually solve the puzzle. Not here. In this game, the 'puzzles' are all very straightforward, just look around a bit and pay attention to detail, and the answers are all obvious. Not once did I have to give up and try again tomorrow before finally solving a puzzle.

The final battle was so easy and short that after killing the boss I was assuming that it was a teaser and any second it would all kick off for real - nope. What a let down.

In conclusion I would say that if you're not a Zelda fan leave it. If you are new to Zelda, buy Ocarina, Links Awakening and the oracle games, or track down one of the DS games. However if you are a big fan of the series like me, and haven't pulled the trigger yet, wait a while - I expect this will soon be available for a lot less money.

Very disappointing!
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 15, 2013 7:46 PM GMT

F1 2011 (Nintendo 3DS)
F1 2011 (Nintendo 3DS)
Offered by 6 Hungry Weasels

2.0 out of 5 stars clumsy implementation, 20 Dec. 2012
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
This could have been much better.

Visually it suffers because when driving this sort of game, you look into the distance at the next corner apex, and the pixelation artifacts are enough to cause problems with the 3DS 3D effect. I'm sure with some effort the developers could have found a way to reduce this problem.
Gameplay suffers because the control responses have not been tweaked well enough for the circle pad, so the cars response is too twitchy - much worse than when playing F1 on the Wii with a classic controller.
The AI is also dire.

I guess they just rushed it to get it on the shelves when they should have spent a lot more time refining it.

JS Bach - Well Tempered Clavier [harpsichord]
JS Bach - Well Tempered Clavier [harpsichord]

5.0 out of 5 stars Very well tempered indeed, 20 Dec. 2012
I wasn't sure that I would enjoy listening to so much harpsichord, but the piano set of these works cost more than I wanted to pay, so I took a chance on this. I'm very glad I did, it is sublime. Listening to these recordings highlights that this music was written for harpsichord - it's just so much more animated and spacious that when played on piano (although that may be partly down to the performance).
It's hard to believe that I paid less than £10 for four discs of music this good. I'm very happy.

Subbuteo Football Set - Team Addition
Subbuteo Football Set - Team Addition

3.0 out of 5 stars Great kit with a couple of let-downs, 20 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Subbuteo Football Set (Toy)
Subbuteo is great. I played it as a kid, and I was certain that my son would love it when he got it for his 9th birthday. He did, unfortunately, 5 days later, we've still only managed a few problematic trial games.
Problems are:
#1 The pitch is huge, so you need a decent sized table - ours was too small, so I bought some board and some moulding for edging and built a base for it. All in ~ £25.
#2 The goals are nasty - the netting is chunky and doesn't really attach properly to the fastenings on the cheap plastic coal frames. This is really just cosmetic, but still a shame - nowhere near the quality of the stuff I remember in the 80's.
#3 This is the big one - the pitch. When we unfolded it, there were loads of large creases and wrinkles. At first I planned to iron it, but the instructions say NO to that. This is not the old cotten felt, it's synthetic velveteen like stuff. So I damped the creases with a sponge and stretched it out a bit with clamps. Made no difference. I've read that others have tried heavy books etc. to no avail. Basically, it seems that the only solution is to glue or tack the pitch to a board. Not so bad for me as I already bought a board, but for folks wanting to use this on a table, the creases will ruin the game. This is a game of skill and precision, and the creases really are a show-stopper.

So, If you factor in £25-30 for board, edging, glue etc. and add in the time and skill, and the space you will need to keep the board, then add that to the £30 you get closer to the true cost.
With all that in mind, I would still recommend this. My son and I had fun buying the stuff to build the board, and he has helped my put it together and glue the pitch down (careful to use very thin layer of pva so it doesn't come through to the plaiyng surface), so It has been an educational project. And you can't beat a game of subbuteo once in a while :)
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 22, 2013 10:01 PM BST

Alesis RAL Guitar Link Plus
Alesis RAL Guitar Link Plus
Offered by redappleaudio

1.0 out of 5 stars poorly concieved, badly implemented, very disappointing, 23 Jun. 2012
Where to start :(

I bought this to use on a macbook (stock)
The instructions were not great, but after a while I got it all set up and 'working'.

#1 Input distortion:
I was using a Fender standard telecaster with stock pickups, these are single coils, so their output is not extremely high, but there was noticeable clipping when listening to the clean input. Not a nice warm clipping, but a nasty ugly hard clipped sound. Even after reducing the input volume to 0 dB, there was clipping. I can only conclude that the designers didn't even consider that a guitar pickup can produce a voltage swing of 10 volts or more peak to peak. Guitars don't generate nice clean 'line level' - if this lead can only handle line level, it shouldn't be sold as a guitar cable.
#2 background beeping sound:
When I used this with a high gain amp model, there was a strange beeping in the background - very like the sound a lorry or bus makes when reversing. I initially assumed this was interference. I unplugged the guitar to take the single coils out of the chain - beeping still there. I switched off all nearby electrical devices - beeping still there. I switched off the screen, bluetooth, wireless networking etc. on my macbook - still beeping. I even walked around the house wth the whole setup in case there was something from outside/neighbours etc. causing the problem. No luck.
After some internet searching, I found the Alesis support pages, it seems there are many people with this beeping problem. both on PC and mac. The Alesis tech's answer is that it's 'probably a driver issue', but this is clearly nonsense based on the experiences of individuals, and my own (I'm using a stock macbook with up to date drivers). There was an interesing post from one user who was told it was a driver issue, then asked to phone tech support to have it fixed, and was then told privately over the phone to return the unit for a refund! It seems(?) that Alesis are aware of this issue, but there is no fix, and they don't want to come clean in public about it.
#3 latency:
Lots of folks seem to have latency issues with guitarLink. I managed to get it set up with no noticable latency. This was great - for a while. Then after a few minutes of playing, it wasn't so good, the latency drifted until it was unplayable.
After lots of research, the most likely answer I could come up with is that because the guitarLink only has an input and you have to use the output of your soundcard to hear it, there a synchronisation problem. If the clocks on the two devices are not exactly in sync (VERY unlikely that they would be), the latency will drift. I have read that this can be solved by resampling on one or other of the devices, with the side effect of added unacceptable latency. It tried this and it still didn't fix the drifting latency problem. This may be defined as a 'compatability' problem by Alesis, not sure, but to me it seems like a major weakness in the basic concept of an input only audio device that needs to have minimal latency to be of any use.
The only fix seems to be to return the unit for a refund which is what I have done.

I had always though of Alesis as a dependable brand, It's sad to learn otherwise, but I won't be buying their product again for a long while if ever. What a waste of my time and energy.

FWIW, The bundled software from NI was perfect as expected - no problems there.

Chet Baker Sings And Plays From The Film "Let's Get Lost" -
Chet Baker Sings And Plays From The Film "Let's Get Lost" -

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect moment in recording history, 10 Jun. 2012
I'm not particularly keen on some of Chet Bakers output, but this is sublime music. It transcends genre.
He takes a bunch of well worn standards and makes them fresh and meaningful. Always understated, every note is there by necessity - expressive, timeless. You really feel all the life experience of this guy flowing from his damaged soul - amazing.
After a hard tiring stressful day, pour yourself a drink and put this on - you really will get lost with Chet.

Gelert Mini Gas Lantern - Silver (Old Version)
Gelert Mini Gas Lantern - Silver (Old Version)

1.0 out of 5 stars Dangerous Junk, 2 Oct. 2010
When I took the glass off to attach the mantle, I noticed that the central burner was a bit loose. I decided to give it the benefit of the doubt and try lighting it anyway, so I straightened up the burner, fitted the mantle and took the lamp outside to a safe place.
After 'burning off' the mantle, I lit the lamp. The mantle (which was intact and working) was surrounded by flame which came out to well above the top of the lamp. I turned it off very quickly and disconnected the gas canister.

It is shocking to me that a gas appliance can pass quality control and safety checks with dangerous faults like this.

Steer well clear.