Profile for A. M. Stout > Reviews

Content by A. M. Stout

A. M. Stout "breathoftheearth"

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
VTech Baby Toot-Toot Drivers Fire Station
VTech Baby Toot-Toot Drivers Fire Station
Offered by Kids Stuff Toys

4.0 out of 5 stars Great toy but noisy!, 26 Mar 2014
Is it me or are all VTech toys designed to be as noisy as possible?
My son loves this Fire Station toy (he loves the fire truck that came with it even more). It is a good little entertaining toy for young boys; flashing lights, noises and music. Unfortunately my son also owns the Toot Toot Garage as well as all of the other cars in the Toot Toot Drivers range. When they are all switched on at once it can only be described as a cacophony.

Grandmother's Tales
Grandmother's Tales
by Celia Berridge

5.0 out of 5 stars Old favourite rediscovered, 26 Mar 2014
This review is from: Grandmother's Tales (Hardcover)
I had this book as a child and my brother and I loved it. I could not remember the name of the book but after searching for ages on the internet I tracked it down and bought a copy for my toddler son. It is just as I remembered it - the story is lovely (3 of grandmother's tales framed by the story of grandmother coming to stay) and the pictures are evocative and warm.
It might be pushing 30 but it is still a delightful story to read to children of today.

I Can Make You Hate
I Can Make You Hate
by Charlie Brooker

3.0 out of 5 stars Meh., 26 Mar 2014
This review is from: I Can Make You Hate (Hardcover)
I am a Charlie Brooker fan but did not really enjoy this book. I found the ridiculous simile descriptions funny at first but a bit same-y and irritating after a while (e.g. "like a hammock made of gas" for something unsafe).
I didn't engage with the topics he was writing about and found myself skipping to the end. He is better off on telly in my opinion.

Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers
Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers
by Mary Roach

5.0 out of 5 stars Morbid but interesting., 26 Mar 2014
I am very interested in forensic science and what happens to bodies after they die. This book answered a lot of my quesions and provided me with a lot of new information: dead bodies are used in such suprising ways!
The book is fascinating, funny, touching and not at all ghoulish. The subject is handled with a lot of respect and dignity.
Do not read this book if descriptions of dead people upset you but do read it if, like me, you are interested in what happens to your earthly remains when you die.

F1138A Rocketdog Rocket Dog Satire Black Womens Western Cowboy Boots Size Uk 4
F1138A Rocketdog Rocket Dog Satire Black Womens Western Cowboy Boots Size Uk 4
Offered by Mr Shoes

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely looking boots but a swine to get on!, 26 Mar 2014
I bought these in a size 4 (my usual size for literally every other pair of shoes I own) but it was a huge struggle to get them on! I did manage to get my feet jammed into them but they pinched. After about half a year of wearing them in they are much easier to get on. I do like them though :)
I would recommend trying before buying...

Oryx And Crake
Oryx And Crake
by Margaret Atwood

5.0 out of 5 stars I read this from start to finish in one eyewatering sitting. It's THAT good :), 26 Mar 2014
This review is from: Oryx And Crake (Paperback)
This is one of the greatest books by one of the greatest authors living today. If you are a fan of Atwood's work I cannot recommend it highly enough.
Oryx and Crake is the first (and arguably best) book in a trilogy that includes 'The Year of the Flood' & 'Maddaddam' (two other great works of literature - just not quite as good as this one in my opinion).
It is ostensibly a sci-fi book (set in a post-apocalyptic world that could easily be our immediate future) but I would argue that it is more of a tale of loss and unrequited love that happens to be set in a science fiction universe. The story is great by itself but the sci-fi elements add savour to the writing as a whole.

A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To Heaven
A Funny Thing Happened On The Way To Heaven
by Corey Taylor

3.0 out of 5 stars A great musician but not so great writer..., 26 Mar 2014
I am a huge Corey Taylor fan (Slipknot is one of my all-time favourite bands) but I don't think Corey Taylor is a particularly good writer.
This book had an interesting debate on the nature of ghosts and some interesting, creepy anecdotes (including some good ones that happened during the recording of Subliminal Verses) but I found it pretty dull overall. I don't really believe in ghosts so I suppose I was never going to be swayed by his arguments that they exist.
It's worth reading if you are interested in ghosts, Corey Taylor/Slipknot but I think the clunky writing and meandering passages might put you off.

GREEN FLORIST TAPE STRETCH for stem wrapping Button Holes etc
GREEN FLORIST TAPE STRETCH for stem wrapping Button Holes etc
Offered by Bountiful.Harvest

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal for wedding flowers!, 26 Mar 2014
I wanted to save as much money as I could on my wedding so I decided to make my own wedding bouquet (and bridesmaids'). I did a bit of research online and came across a site which told me I would need some florists tape. I bought the green florist stretch tape and was so glad I did: I would not have been able to make a proper bouquet without it. Don't assume you can just use masking tape or sellotape!
The tape holds everything together but is still quite pliable so it is very easy to work with. As it is green it blends into the colour of the flower stems. My bouquets lasted all day and evening and were still going strong the next day! They got lots of favourable comments (one guest remarked that they looked so professional that she would not have known they were made by me if I hadn't told her!).

The Chronicles Of Narmo
The Chronicles Of Narmo
by Caitlin Moran

4.0 out of 5 stars Caitlin Moran's first novel, 26 Mar 2014
A good, funny family drama story based loosely on Moran's early years. It's probably better suited to children than adults (even for fans of Moran) as it is written in quite a simplistic way (well, she was only 15 or something when she wrote it).

Cream with Burgundy Rose Heart Wedding Guest Books
Cream with Burgundy Rose Heart Wedding Guest Books
Offered by THE CARD GALLERY GB LTD

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, perfect touch to a perfect day., 26 Mar 2014
My wedding theme was cream with red roses (my flowers, the wedding cake, the table decorations) so this beautiful guest book was a perfect touch. It looks far more expensive than it is. Our guests left some lovely comments in our book which we can treasure over the years in this beautiful keepsake.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3