Profile for CH Ryan > Reviews

Content by CH Ryan

CH Ryan "crisi" (Adelaide, South Australia)

Gloria [DVD]
Gloria [DVD]
Dvd ~ Paulina García

4.0 out of 5 stars Lovely film, 25 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Gloria [DVD] (DVD)
Beautiful film about an unassuming but interesting woman, lonely and wishing to find love, strong, brave, making an effort to enjoy her life. Fantastic performance by a great actress, Paulina Garcia. Gloria loves to sing along in her car and to go out dancing so there is a delicious music soundtrack. A true and honest movie.

Who Can Kill a Child? [DVD]
Who Can Kill a Child? [DVD]
Dvd ~ Lewis Fiander
Offered by bestmediagroup

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly creepy and very exciting, 19 April 2012
This review is from: Who Can Kill a Child? [DVD] (DVD)
I had to watch this in the daytime. Great tension, lovely cinematography, terrific story. I was afraid it might be too gory for me but I was pleased that it was more suspense and clever twists. The beginning is very disturbing indeed, then bright sunshine and an idyllic island in Spain until...... A real treasure.

Shinjuku Boys / Gaea Girls [DVD]
Shinjuku Boys / Gaea Girls [DVD]
Dvd ~ Kim Longinotto

5.0 out of 5 stars 2 excellent docos, 10 Aug. 2011
These films are both fascinating. As a japanophile I found them both riveting, sad, funny, inspiring. I desperately now want to see their film Dream Girls about the Takarazuka. I beg someone to please release it on DVD.

Getting On - Complete Series 1 and 2 Box Set [DVD]
Getting On - Complete Series 1 and 2 Box Set [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jo Brand

5.0 out of 5 stars Utterly brilliant, 12 April 2011
How did they get this so right? The writing, the characters, the situations, the actors - all perfect. The tone of this show is amazing and unique. There is nothing to compare. It's just so good.
Now would someone please release Posh Nosh on DVD?

Twisted Wing
Twisted Wing
by Ruth Newman

1.0 out of 5 stars Extremely disappointing, 21 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Twisted Wing (Paperback)
Silly me. I bought this book because it looked as if it would be really interesting and because Sophie Hannah is quoted on the cover as recommending it. What a grave disappointment. It is so badly written, dreadful style, very poor dialogue. Nice idea. The title is the best part of the book. But the writing I found absolutely intolerable. I cannot understand all the good reviews. Sophie Hannah, what on earth were you thinking?

Home Before Dark
Home Before Dark
by Charles Maclean

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect thriller?, 8 Mar. 2010
This review is from: Home Before Dark (Paperback)
I was so delighted when I found a new book by Charles MacLean. I couldn't wait to check if was really THE Charles MacLean. As with another reviewer, The Watcher has been my favourite book since 1984. This one is brilliant. At times I found it hard to keep reading because it was so exciting, at other times I had to wake up in the middle of the night to read some more. Unlike others, I found it always a puzzle as to who was actually pursuing whom - with this author, anything can be happening under the surface. MacLean has the most amazing way of suggesting weirdness and evil with tiny, suggestive turns of phrase. I will read this book many times.

The Point of Rescue (Culver Valley Crime)
The Point of Rescue (Culver Valley Crime)
by Sophie Hannah

5.0 out of 5 stars Thrilling, 20 Nov. 2009
I couldn't put this book down. I found it so exciting and such a great story. My greatest delight really is in the police characters. Charlie and Simon are wonderful creations. You absolutely must read these books in their order to follow the continuing story of these very intriguing and complex people. I have read the whole series so far and I just can't wait for the next one. Thank you so much Sophie Hannah.