Profile for kimatSafkhet > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Learning to Love
Learning to Love

5.0 out of 5 stars I cannot wait to read the next!, 24 July 2013
This review is from: Learning to Love (Kindle Edition)
first off, a disclaimer:
I am the editor of this book.

I really love Sheryl's books. And she once again surprised me with this one. The element of a grieving child and father together with the funny lines of the heroine's mother and the element of suspense made me read this in less than a day. I meant to start editing right away, but got carried away in reading and thus had the absolute pleasure to read it again when working on the copy.

Beautiful, Sheryl! I cannot wait to read your next book.

Little White Lies and Butterflies
Little White Lies and Butterflies
by Suzie Tullett

5.0 out of 5 stars transports you right into Greece!, 24 Jun. 2013
Fun holiday read that made me feel like I was actually on one of those islands.
Disclaimer: I am the editor of this book, so probably biased. And yet, as a "professional reader", I am very picky.
Suzie manages to write a contemporary romance, including the proper lingo, and 90s style of speaking and writing.
The characters are well developped and the culture studies imbedded in the story prove that she's actually lived in Greece.

From Both Sides: A Look into the World of Foster Care from Those Who Know It Best

5.0 out of 5 stars Hits Home, 27 April 2013
As a foster parent to dogs and a wannabe foster parent to children, I was looking very forward to this book. I didn't realize it was so short, neither did I think about the fact it comes in poetry format.
Knowing very little about poetry, I do not want to even go into whether it is well-composed or not. What I would rather go into is the message this book delivers. Maranda talks about fostering from both sides of the story - the foster kids and the foster parents. Her short poems send a strong message, often aimed at the system and she explains this in her introduction. Although she is probably talking about the system in the US, I can only stress that (having learned about two very different systems myself) the issues she's addressing are the same in other systems!
Her poems hit home; I had tears in my eyes and found so much of the truth wrapped in so few words. Her messages are strong and anybody who thinks about fostering should read these poems. They create a picture that no "How To" booklet from a social worker could convey.

A Little Bit of Madness
A Little Bit of Madness
by Sheryl Browne

5.0 out of 5 stars if I had not had an imprint for romance yet, this would've made me make one..., 12 Feb. 2013
a word about myself: I am the managing editor for this book.
Therefore, I might be biased. But this is my review of the book when I first received the manuscript and had to decide whether it was good enough for our list.
Once more, I knew very early on that had I not already created a list for Sheryl's book, this was the book to do it for.
Although skeptical at first about the old people in the book (just didn't know how that would work), I should've known that Sheryl would not weave into the story what will not weave in. She's outdone herself and created a book that sits well in the modern world where more people get old(er) than in previous times.
I fell in love with May as soon as she first appeared. She reminded me so much of my grandmother!
The book combines romance, fun, problems, cheaters, liars, in the way that only Sheryl can.

Essentials of Contemporary Management
Essentials of Contemporary Management
by Gareth R Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars very helpful for students and academics alike, 12 Feb. 2013
This book is well-structured and wonderfully concise.
The additional material is just as helpful as the layout and I recommend this book to anybody studying or lecturing management, strategic management and organizations/ leadership.
The sidebars are an additional good feature, as they allow a quick overview and highlight the most important bits on the page.

A Family Affair: Truth in Lies (Truth in Lies, Book 1)
A Family Affair: Truth in Lies (Truth in Lies, Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars reality is often even worse than fiction..., 19 Dec. 2012
This story was a real page-turner for me. I just wanted to know what else could have possibly gone wrong in those families?
Although most secrets were somewhat foreseeable for me, I was curious to find out whether the author actually wrote what I thought or if something else would come of it. Mostly, my hunches were right.
I love the writing style, the seriousness described with ease. The characters were developed very well and the outcome of the story was just as I had wished it to be (no spoilers...).
Fiction is sometimes worse than reality, but I have seen stranger families than the two interlinked in this book.

I'm not overweight, I'm just under-tall.
I'm not overweight, I'm just under-tall.

5.0 out of 5 stars very down to earth, 15 Dec. 2012
I read this book in less than one hour - it is that good. I also read very fast, but the point is that Hollie has managed to write a light page-turner about a very heavy subject.
Once started, you will want to know more about how she did it and you will find that actually, most of what she says you already know. But the way she writes it makes you think there is a really good friend talking to you, confirming what you thought and encouraging you to get up and do something about it.
Brilliant!

Dying to Get Published (The Jennifer Marsh Mysteries Book 1)
Dying to Get Published (The Jennifer Marsh Mysteries Book 1)

1.0 out of 5 stars boring, badly developed, full of mistakes, 22 Oct. 2012
I am always on the lookout for books and movies on the publishing world in general so was quite delighted to see a new series on the matter.
Equally disappointed in the content of this first one in the series, I am going to keep looking.
Although the story is based on a really good idea (heroine plots a murder, someone else carries it out and she gets arrested for it without an alibi), the characters are underdeveloped, the story drags on like really bland chewing gum and the eBook version of the book is peppered with mistakes, typos, bad typesetting.
The most disappointing to me was that I could not even chuckle once and had to constantly flip back a few pages wondering "who said what when".

Shut Up and Kiss Me
Shut Up and Kiss Me

4.0 out of 5 stars put me right back into Texas, 20 Oct. 2012
Shut Up and Kiss Me catapulted me right back to Texas. I felt like I was there. The characters well developed, the scenery so beautifully described and the scenes in the book were just so vivid that I immediately thought I'd want to go back to Texas. And although I found no real Precious, Texas, there might as well be one.
A few of the characters in the book I felt as though I'd met them before - Mary for example actually seemed like a younger version of my dear friend Mary in San Antone.
Christie grabbed me by my ears and so I told Will that we out to read the book together. It then beautified our road trip - Will acted as audio book interpreter as he so often does (in this case, he even turned on his oh-so-sexy Texas accent to make the book an even better experience).
Loving how the story developed, I was just a tad disappointed when the book ended rather suddenly. I had just checked that there is 18% book left on my Kindle and then it was over. I felt a bit betrayed; although I understand putting in sneak previews for other books, I felt 18% is a bit much. And I really thought that not all loose ends were quite tied up.
Overall a pleasant reading experience though and if you like Texas, this is a must-read!
And if you like police romance, this book was written for you!

How To Sell More Kindle Ebooks
How To Sell More Kindle Ebooks
by Kristen James

2.0 out of 5 stars understandable bascis, 15 Oct. 2012
Kristen gives a quick, easy-to-understand overview on how to sell more eBooks. The book may be helpful to first-time authors who have never thought about selling but rather just writing but I find it a bit disturbing that there is not founded background information on why she decided the way she did. She says she changed prices this way and that, for example, but did she really just toy around? That is a very odd approach to marketing.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3