Profile for Jorge M Machado > Reviews

Content by Jorge M Machado

Jorge M Machado (Braga, Portugal)

The Complete Book of Drawing: Essential Skills for Every Artist
The Complete Book of Drawing: Essential Skills for Every Artist
by Barrington Barber

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Complete, 5 Jun. 2006
This book is packed with useful information: it covers technique in detail, including body posture, not just the way you use your hands. Although at first the need for good posture may not be very obvious, follow the advice in this book and you will soon notice the difference. As the book says, you should be bodily involved in your drawing.
I have been drawing for years. I've shown my work in art galleries. Yet I do not come from a fine arts background; my training is in the humanities. This book has been immensely useful to me. I picked up very valuable tricks - how to use shadows, good crosshatching, how to draw convincing spheres, how to control perspective and convey a sense of space -- to name but a few.
An added plus are the chapters on composition and those on individual artists.
This book is worth reading: a) pencil in hand, paper at the ready, so you can do the exercises; b) just as you relax, looking at the examples, telling yourself "oh, how clever" and trying stuff out for yourself, later.
I for one am delighted with my purchase.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 14, 2014 10:51 PM GMT