Profile for Nicki > Reviews

Content by Nicki

Nicki

Page: 1 | 2
Creative Planning/Castles & Dragons (Creative Planning in/Early Yrs) (Practitioners' Guides)
by Lucy Peet
Price: 12.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for reception!, 10 Feb 2014
This is a fantastic planning book for early years. It gives you a set of themes for each week and then some activities to link to each theme. I would recommend for topic planning for reception!

Developing History: Ages 4-5 Understanding and Interpreting the Past
Developing History: Ages 4-5 Understanding and Interpreting the Past
by Anita Loughrey
Price: 15.06

4.0 out of 5 stars Used in reception, 8 May 2013
Found this book useful for reception class. Had lovely pictures with an easy to use approach. I link this to my topic work.

My World, Your World
My World, Your World
by Melanie Walsh
Price: 5.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely book, 4 Feb 2013
This review is from: My World, Your World (Paperback)
This book is a lovely and simple way of getting across how we are all different in our own ways but we are also the same in many ways eg (not a quote from the book) Wu uses chopsticks to eat his dinner, Tom uses a knife and fork........but they both drink there juice with a straw. Lovely for Reception class to support around the world topic.

Developing Science: Year R Developing Scientific Skills and Knowledge
Developing Science: Year R Developing Scientific Skills and Knowledge
by Christine Moorcroft
Price: 16.65

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book to support science and topics, 17 Jun 2012
I teach reception and find this book useful to support our topic work. It has lovely illustrations, clear instructions and can even be used for y1.

Pretty Salma
Pretty Salma
by Niki Daly
Price: 6.44

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice story that can be linked to little red riding hood, 27 Feb 2012
This review is from: Pretty Salma (Paperback)
Used this book in class for KS1 to compare to an English traditional tale of little red riding hood. Lovely for looking at other cultures.

Time to Talk: A Programme to Develop Oral and Social Interaction Skills for Reception and Key Stage One
by Alison Schroeder
Price: 14.95

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic book for children with poor social skills/ speaking and listening problems or children with SEN, 27 Feb 2012
Bought this book originally for a group of children who needed to develop their speaking and listening skills - as recommended by the SEN teacher. It did work well. It helped improve the children's confidence, improve turn taking and interaction skills. I then used it for a child with autism to help them develop social skills and again with children who needed to develop communication skills and also children with English as an additional language. It seems to work for all children and helps allow inclusion. Children enjoy the lessons based on a loveable teddy bear and his friends. The lessons are straight forward telling you what to do how to start the session, main activity and then how to end with a circle time style ending. Has photocopiable resources to accompany lesson plans and has ready made letter to send to parents each week to show what they have been doing. I would definitely recommend to any teachers. Based for Rec and KS1 but we have used it for SEN/EAL and children working on P scales in ks2. Hope this helps!

Tam Tam Tambalay!
Tam Tam Tambalay!
by Helen MacGregor
Edition: Audio CD

3.0 out of 5 stars ok but not as easy as i expected., 27 Feb 2012
This review is from: Tam Tam Tambalay! (Audio CD)
I was thinking this would be a book I could just pick up and use with my class. The songs are a little harder than expected. You need to learn them at home with the use of other languages as not so easy to teach the class. Would say this is more ks1/ lower ks2 possibly. I use the odd song for Reception but not as much as I hoped. However each song has a bit of info on the origin or an explanation of the song. It offers ideas of what to do for each song and some actions to use with some songs.

Junior Voiceworks 1: 33 Songs for Children
Junior Voiceworks 1: 33 Songs for Children
by Kevin Stannard
Price: 29.65

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant for choir and ks2, 27 Feb 2012
I am a choir and class teacher. I don't have much music knowledge but I enjoy singing. The songs are catchy and have some nice tunes. Upbeat mix and children will like these. There is the song and then backing track for most on the cd. For those who want more detailed lesson plans you can follow the book which has some good ideas on how to teach and the origin of the songs. Or you can use it as I do and dip into this for choir. Would recommend to anyone who teaches singing to children.

PE Lesson Plans Year R: Photocopiable Gymnastic Activities, Dance and Games Teaching Programmes (Leapfrogs)
by Jim Hall
Price: 17.38

3.0 out of 5 stars ok but not what i wanted as a reception class teacher., 27 Feb 2012
I wanted straight forward lesson plans that offer continuity. They have lesson plans but I felt that progression was not allowed for and seemed to jump from basic skills to more complex within the space of a lesson. For me it would be good to just dip into when needed but I have not used this as a scheme for PE.

Singing Sherlock Vol. 3 - The complete singing resource for primary schools - Singing Sherlock series - children's choir - edition with 2 CDs
by Val Whitlock
Edition: Spiral-bound
Price: 22.65

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant for school, 27 Feb 2012
This is part of the singing Sherlock series. I have used No1 book before and we got this for the year 1 class. It has lots of lovely songs and warm up songs for ks1 and could be used from reception up to year 2. I think some songs would also suit lower ks2 (I have used some with my ks2 choir). Would recommend this, easy to use as I am not a music expert just like singing!

Page: 1 | 2