Profile for Nigel_S > Reviews

Nigel_S

Devils Playground
Devils Playground
by Simon Chambers

5.0 out of 5 stars If you want to read a book that REALLY tells it how it was - and still is - then read Devil's Playground!, 7 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Devils Playground (Paperback)
I am really lucky in that I got to see a very early copy of the manuscript for this book and my only thought then was "This should be and MUST be published!", so I was delighted when I saw it had been.
I really like Simon Chamber's no-nonsense, direct-to-the-heart-of-the-matter writing style and if you judge a book as to how well it puts you into the author's situation, then Devil's Playground does that in spades!
There is no sense of sensationalism and the almost matter-of-fact approach to the subject is refreshing in its honesty.
I have not worked in the Private Security industry, nor the military for that matter but this book certainly helps those of us who haven't, understand what Contractors and Operators go through on a daily basis.
I highly recommend it.

SanDisk SDSDWIFI-008G-X46 8GB Eye-Fi Wireless Class 4 Memory Card with Adapter
SanDisk SDSDWIFI-008G-X46 8GB Eye-Fi Wireless Class 4 Memory Card with Adapter

5.0 out of 5 stars WiFi for your DSLR, 28 Nov. 2012
I am normally pretty sceptical when it comes to claims about what products can do, so it was with a small amount of trepidation that I purchased the SanDisk Eye-Fi wireless card - I should not have worried.

Setting the card up is a simple matter of plugging into a spare USB slot on your computer (using the adapter provided), setting up a free Eye-Fi account, downloading the Eye-Fi app onto your device and hooking it all up. Sounds complicated but took no more than 10 minutes and worked flawlessly!

I take a lot of photos and one of the biggest bugbears (if I want to see the results immediately on something larger than the small camera screen) is having to lug a laptop to download them onto. This card allows me to tuck my Kindle Fire HD into my backpack and just remember to leave my camera switched on during breaks in shooting.

The WiFi seems pretty solid at close range but does tend to fizzle out at about 30 feet (approximately 9 metres for those of you who don't know what feet are!) and doesn't seem to compromise camera battery life.

Classic Text To Speech Engine
Classic Text To Speech Engine

3.0 out of 5 stars Not for Kindle Fire HD, 28 Nov. 2012
This was purchased through the Amazon App on my newly purchased Kindle Fire HD and because of that, one would naturally assume it is compatible with the device. However, what it fails to mention is that it is not possible to select any other TTS service on the KFHD - it is locked to the supplied (robotic-sounding) voice.

Although I have given this 3 Stars it is not because I have been able to try it, rather that I have no opinion.

So my advice is simple...

If you have a KFHD don't buy this until Amazon actaully allows the OWNERS of the devices they buy to have the FREEDOM OF CHOICE to use THEIR device as they see fit.

To be honest, I have been thinking very seriously about backing the KFHD and purchasing something else - it is just too restricted.