Profile for soulfood > Reviews

Content by soulfood

soulfood "soulfood" (london, UK)

The Bridge [2005] [DVD]
The Bridge [2005] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Eric Steel

3.0 out of 5 stars Warning - be sure you want to watch before you watch, 14 Sep 2009
This review is from: The Bridge [2005] [DVD] (DVD)
Very difficult to review. Firstly, a fantastic example of how documentary film can cut through a taboo subject and really grip the audience. In terms of film making I'd have no hesitation to give this 5 stars.

But the flip side is that this is an emoptionally scarring subject matter. I. Will. Never. Forget. Some of these images. They are seared into my brain. And although I recognise that this is due to "powerful film making" it's also due to the subject matter. What has exposure to this material done for me? It's showed me how vulnerable some people are. Perhaps how vulnerable we all might be. Is that something I want?

Who's to say there isn't good reason for suicide to be shrouded in taboo? Maybe that taboo is grounded in a basic human need to deny the existince of this form of self destruction. And I'm not talking about a religious denial. It's a basic instinct that this film seems to break. Seeing footage of people throwing themselves from a bridge on a sunny day broke so many rules. And yet - this is what documentary is there to do. Expose us to truths. Wierdly I couldn't stop myself watching, but looking back, I kind of wished I had.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 7, 2011 10:22 PM GMT