Profile for AJC > Reviews

AJC (London)

The English Riviera
The English Riviera

5.0 out of 5 stars A gem, 29 Mar 2014
This review is from: The English Riviera (Audio CD)
Bought the MP3 download on impulse and just feel the need to add my endorsement to the other five star reviews. Not a dud track on this album, it's quirky, accessible and really very very good.

Erik Satie: 50 Essential Piano Pieces
Erik Satie: 50 Essential Piano Pieces

5.0 out of 5 stars A great buy, 17 Mar 2013
Very good recording quality and very nicely performed solo piano. At over two hours uninterrupted you can really sense how Satie was the daddy of ambient music, which is not to say that this is bland - a lot of it is rather lovely, and other pieces rather quirky, but none of it is intrusive. I've just had it on while I was doing some quite intensive work on the computer and it was the ideal companion. A bargain!

Love Yourself Like Your Life Depends On It
Love Yourself Like Your Life Depends On It
by Kamal Ravikant

5.0 out of 5 stars From the heart, to the heart, 14 Aug 2012
Simple, sincere and effective - this small book punches far above its weight and is worth practising and rereading. Do try it!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably the best I've tried, 22 Jun 2012
I've dithered over Proraso for some reason. I think some reviews referring to 'medicinal' smell and strange sensations put me off. Anyway, I've used Taylors, Trufitt & Hill, and at the other end of the range, Derby and Palmolive - all creams as I prefer these to soap. First, I didn't find the smell medicinal or strong; I'd describe it as herbal and quite subtle and clean. Consistency is very firm for a cream, which I prefer, and lather quite thin, but slick and long lasting. I get a great shave with it, but IMHO what really sets it apart from creams costing two or three times as much is the total lack of razor burn, even on sensitive areas like the neck. This is the only one which has done this for me, and leaves my skin feeling great! This will be my number one from now on. For the record, I have a very tough beard and quite sensitive skin (yes I know almost everyone says that...) I shave daily using a Merkur 1904 DE razor, Derby blades, a Vulfix badger brush and I lather up straight on the face. On a more superficial note, just as it gives me a kick to shave with a razor unchanged in design for a century or so, I was taken by Proraso making much of its origins in 1948 (and I know that both Taylors and Trufitt are much older - perhaps I have a very specific form of nostalgia!) Oh, and it washes off the razor and brush and down the sink really easily. BTW Barber Blades are offering this at a great price with a very fast service and I've reviewed them separately.

Your Face Tomorrow 1: Fever and Spear: Fever and Spear v. 1 (Your Face Tomorrow Trilogy)
by Javier Marķas

5.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing, challenging and moving, 12 Feb 2010
This book appears to be of the "love it or hate it" variety judging from the other reviews. Personally I loved it, and very soon became utterly addicted. I was originally drawn to the series because of the basic premise (and the intriguing title,) and I would probably have settled for a thriller/spy novel along those lines but this is so much more. I found the elliptical style endlessly engaging and the discussions concerning life and relationships, history and observation, thoroughly rewarding. With this in mind, the book could have easily become a sterile intellectual study by someone with their eye on a literary prize but what did surprise me was how very moving it was at times. Marias has an honest and insightful grasp of the often painful nature of life and relationships, and I feel that many readers might identify with some of the 'baggage' of the protagonist. I've just ordered part two and am recommending this to any of my acquaintances who will listen.