Profile for ports88 > Reviews

Content by ports88

"ports88"

The Prince (Oxford World's Classics)
The Prince (Oxford World's Classics)
by Niccolò Machiavelli

5.0 out of 5 stars Ruthless, 28 Oct 2004
The Prince... well its difficult to describe exactly what it entails. I think to start with all who consider going into politics or any kind of management role should be handed a copy of this book at the same time as they recieve their application forms. It is ruthless but efficient also and so its central premises should always be remembered, particularly by our governing bodies.
Machiavelli writes with a self assurance which is refreshing in an age of hesitation and self correction.
I'm not convinced that this was a life changing book for me to read, it certainly affected my attitudes and values but is not a inspirational self help book (not that its supposed to be).
I recommend this to anyone who has an interest in history or in politics.

Discworld Noir: Terry Pratchett
Discworld Noir: Terry Pratchett
Offered by Tracymuk

4.0 out of 5 stars More please, I'm getting impatient., 28 Oct 2004
I am a huge fan of Terry Pratchett and spend far too much money on his books as soon as they come out. I also have something of a soft spot for the old film Noir. So a game which lets you play a Private Eye in Ankh Morpork, well... you'd have to work hard to go wrong. This game is enormously enjoyable, with great puzzles, rib-crackingly good jokes and suprisingly atmospheric music. My personal favourite track features Sammael the Pianist, I've been humming it since I saw it about three years ago. Please buy this game, its worth the money and with a bit of luck will convince those who can to make a new one.

Pompeii
Pompeii
by Robert Harris

4.0 out of 5 stars That is so Roman, 18 May 2004
This review is from: Pompeii (Hardcover)
I haven't read any other books by Robert Harris but have every intention of doing so after reading this book.
There were many aspects of this book which I adored to see because they fit in perfectly with how I envisaged Roman culture to be and I should, hopefully, have a good impression of this being a student of Ancient History.
First - The corruption of various public figures in Pompeii is very accurate and was a huge problem during the Imperial age of Rome.
Second - The death of Pliny, this was lifted straight from the works of Pliny the Younger and so is as accurate a description of the death of Pliny as you will get. The tension and fear were so well described that there were moments when my breath was short because of all the ash.
Third - The instance of a slave being thrown to some eels is also a well known anecdote from the period, some masters were so cruel to their slaves that they would do this. Likewise some were very beneficient and even left large sums of money and freedom to their slaves in their wills.
Fourth - the sense of duty the hero felt to get the aquaduct working again. This idea of working for the public good is one that is not highlighted much when looking at the Romans but it is something that their Empire was pretty much founded on and so was a integral part of their culture. Of course no everyone was like this, probably a minority but it is by no means far fetched.
There was of course a feeling of inevitability to this story but it is a wonderfully written book and as historically accurate as historical fiction gets. I think it gives a very good impression of what life was like at the time, of the dangers and of the perks. I for one would not be dissapointed if Robert Harris explored more of the period.

Equilibrium [DVD] [2003]
Equilibrium [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ Christian Bale
Offered by DVDBayFBA

5.0 out of 5 stars Woefully underrated, 18 May 2004
This review is from: Equilibrium [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
I have no intention of trying to write a review as long as some of the others, instead I'm just going to raise as few points that I really liked about this film and a few I did not.
First - the action scenes for this are simply awesome, in many ways I preferred them to the original Matrix. This probably came from the nature of the scenes, as the film shows so well the skills shown have been developed and trained in since birth and so what they do is a real achievement, rather than something that just looks cool. Although it does look fantastic. Also the idea of a Gun Kata was ingenious.
Second - I quite liked how the film played with an Orwellian 1984 type setting, that anything that incited emotion was destroyed. I did feel the film didn't explore this as much as it might have but I'm willing to lose some in depth drama for such exciting action.
Third and lastly - I can't help but feel that this film didn't do so well in the States because of a lack of a huge name American action star to carry the film. THIS IS NOT A CRITICISM OF THE FILM! but rather of the American reliance on the star system.
All in all a really good film which is hugely entertaining and a bit thought provoking as well.

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: v. 2
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: v. 2
by Wang Du Lu

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 18 May 2004
This series of comic books by Andy Seto is a simply stunning story. The artwork is of a quality rarely seen in more mainstream comics and looks as though each frame has been lovingly worked on rather than rushed off to meet a deadline. The story itself is masterfully told and is so intriguing I read all the comics very quickly to find out what was going to happen. Also the action scenes are perfect.
I would recommend this to any comic book lovers, any action story lovers, any fans of the film, any fans of China, in fact I would recommend this to anyone with half a brain or more.
They are amazing and I can't wait for the following episodes.

Ultimate X-Men Volume 7: Blockbuster TPB: Blockbuster Vol 7 (Graphic Novel Pb)
Ultimate X-Men Volume 7: Blockbuster TPB: Blockbuster Vol 7 (Graphic Novel Pb)
by Brian Michael Bendis

4.0 out of 5 stars Pure entertainment, 18 May 2004
No one is going to claim that the Ultimate X-Men series is the new Shakespear but for pure entertainment value it is superb. With time the characters are being fleshed out more and more, although there is still a tendency to wrap up the plot lines a little too rapidly.
This is well worth a read as Spiderman's appearance is pretty funny. Its nice to see more of Marvel's creations appear in this series.

Furnace Room Lullabye
Furnace Room Lullabye

4.0 out of 5 stars Misunderstood, 18 May 2004
This review is from: Furnace Room Lullabye (Audio CD)
I thought I would write this review to warn people in a similar boat to me. I first learnt of Neko Case from her outstanding Blacklisted album and so when I saw she had another out I bought it immediately. Possible I should have done a bit more research for this because it is a very different album to Blacklisted, with more country vocals and I think her singing with a less sonerous voice.
I did like this album but not anywhere near as much as Blacklisted, if you are wary of country beware.

The Black Tulip (Oxford World's Classics)
The Black Tulip (Oxford World's Classics)
by Alexandre Dumas

5.0 out of 5 stars Dumas on a smaller scale, 1 Feb 2004
While most of Dumas works travel around a variety of places this book spends most of its time in Holland, a very different place to the France of his other works. The charm this book has for me is that it is typical Dumas in the style of writing and in the detail with which he describes scenes, but it is on a smaller scale then most of his works enabling him to spend a little more time on some of the details. It does share certain plot elements with the Count of Monte Cristo but by centering the story around an obsession with tullips it lends an eccentricity to the story which makes it an easy and pleasant read. I would recommend this to any Dumas fans and indeed to anyone who reads widely.