Profile for G. Keogh > Reviews

Content by G. Keogh

G. Keogh (London)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Chilli Chocolate. South Devon Chilli Farm 'Hot Six'
Chilli Chocolate. South Devon Chilli Farm 'Hot Six'
Offered by South Devon Chilli Farm

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Quality, 25 Dec 2014
I got these for my husband who loves chilli. This is really good quality chocolate with lovely flavours. The chilli is not strong (though of course, that's subjective) and it leaves you with a nice warm, tingling tongue.

Retro Sweets Mega Gift Box: Jam Packed With Over 60 of the Best Retro Sweets. 100% Money Back Guarantee: Fun Christmas Gifts, Secret Santa Present Ideas For Men & Women, Mum, Dad, Boys & Girls. Ideal Stocking Fillers & Xmas Presents For Him & Her.
Offered by A Quarter Of - The Retro Sweets You Love

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for 60s Children, 25 Dec 2014
I bought these from my mum who was a 60s child. She was delighted, and spent ages going through it and remembering the shops she used to buy them from and her friends who liked various sweets.

I read the reviews and saw a lot of people complaining that you could buy more sweets for this price and put the box together yourself. The same could be said for any kind of hamper / gift set. I was very happy with the price I paid and the value I got. It is nicely packaged in a Beano box and well worth a couple of pounds extra for the convenience of someone sending it ready-made to my door.

Bucktons Black Sunflower seeds 20Kg
Bucktons Black Sunflower seeds 20Kg
Offered by Equestrian Performance

5.0 out of 5 stars Very popular in our garden, 7 Nov 2014
The birds can't get enough of these. They are high quality seeds and they attract a variety of birds to our garden - mostly little ones.

The squirrels really love these too so make sure to put some on a bird table or somewhere that the squirrels can easily get to them, otherwise they will chew through hanging feeders in order to enjoy these seeds!

UBT - Urban Bird Table
UBT - Urban Bird Table
Offered by Bamford Trading

5.0 out of 5 stars Liked by squirrels and birds alike, 7 Nov 2014
This review is from: UBT - Urban Bird Table
I bought this to try and stop the squirrels chewing through our bird feeders. I thought if the squirrels could access the seed easily on this table, they wouldn't bother climbing up the hanging bird feeder and ruining them.

It's worked a treat! I was a little worried that it wouldn't be able to hold the weight of an adult squirrel but it does, no problem, and they haven't touched my other bird feeders since I got it.

I've also seen lots of small birds on it when the squirrels aren't about.

it was easy to put up and will be easy to clean.

Thirty Scary Tales (Illustrated): Horror Stories
Thirty Scary Tales (Illustrated): Horror Stories

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant collection, 17 Oct 2014
I love short story collections and this is one of the best I have found on Amazon. As other reviewers have pointed out (and as the author herself indicates) this isn't gory, obvious horror but is more unsettling and disturbing than scary.

I really enjoyed the variety in this collection and I had to double check that they were actually written by one author. Some of the stories were set in the modern day, some in older times, and some in a fantasy world that I understand the author created for a full length novel. Some of them involve the supernatural and others involve horrors from the real world.

In the afterword, the author said she'd like to hear which stories we enjoyed the most and which we weren't so thrilled with, so here's my top:

By Your Own Free Will - A high-flying career woman and MENSA member visits a modern day witch for a love potion, and ends up giving away a crucial part of herself in the quest for love. Although there is very little 'horror' in it, it is one of the most disturbing short stories I've read. It reminded me strongly of another short story, Mr. Pull-Ups by Jack Kilborn, which is far more extreme and gruesome but sticks with me in just the same way.

The Bridge Chamber - A little girl tries to earn the respect of her bullies by taking them to a secret place she has discovered, but things don't quite go to plan. This is one of those stories that drops you right into the scene and has you thinking "good god, what if that was me?".

Seagulls - A young woman moves to the seaside and is constantly aware of a menacing trio of seagulls watching her every move through the window. The author achieved a disturbing feeling of claustrophobia and imprisonment in the very place we should feel safe - home - and it was very effective.

Take Me To St. Roch's - A lone driver picks up a hitchhiker who is stragely uncommunicative and sulky, and the night turns into a nightmare. I loved the black humour in this one.

The Colour of Dishonour - This was set in the author's fantasy world creation and it transported my right there - not easy to do in a short story.

Four Bony Hands - A modern twist on a well-known fairytale. Even though we all know how the story ends, this was very well done and kept me interested.

Double Rainbows - An ill-treated lover gets her revenge in a very clever way.

Which ones didn't I like so much?

Arete and Night Train. They were still well written, it's just that vampires and werewolves don't interest me.

Burning - One of the most disturbing books in the collection, about racism and hatred. Very effectively told through the voice of an innocent, unprejudiced child.

Take One at Bedtime
Take One at Bedtime

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable, 2 Sep 2014
Great selection of short stories! I enjoyed all of them in varying degrees and I would read more by this author.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 6, 2014 10:03 AM BST

Origin
Origin

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it, 2 Sep 2014
This review is from: Origin (Kindle Edition)
I'm a big Jack Kilborn fan and Origin did not disappoint. All the main characters are well-rounded and interesting (something woefully missing from most horror books), not least the 'demon', Bub. The plot moves along at a good pace and kept me hooked the whole way through.

I love how Kilborn / Konrath hardly ever writers straight horror but nearly always mixes it with humour. Origin has a good dose of humour, doesn't take itself too seriously and is better for it.

Please write some more, J!

Cellar Girl
Cellar Girl
by Josefina Rivera

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 2 Sep 2014
This review is from: Cellar Girl (Paperback)
I had never heard of this case before I read the book, so I was able to listen to Josefina tell her story with an open mind. What shines through from her book, as well as what I've read about her afterwards, is her intelligence, resourcefulness and bravery. I'm happy to find that she seems to have finally found happiness and peace.

This is an incredible story that is very well told by the author. Well worth a read.

Night of Vengeance
Night of Vengeance

2.0 out of 5 stars Implausible and shallow, 2 Sep 2014
This wasn't the worst bad horror book I've ever read but it was definitely bad horror. The characterisation is shallow and completely implausible. To give an example, with a spoiler alert... after being gang raped and then splattered with the brains and blood of people they've shot, how many women would have sex (having turned lesbian over the course of a couple of hours, by the way) without taking a flipping shower first? This was just the juvenile fantasy of a bad writer.

It was mildly entertaining at times and would have been worth maybe 50p, but definitely not the price it's currently available for.

Rivulets of Blood
Rivulets of Blood

1.0 out of 5 stars Terrible, 1 Sep 2014
This review is from: Rivulets of Blood (Kindle Edition)
I can overlook the odd spelling / grammar mistake in self-published ebooks but I couldn't overlook the shockingly bad writing in Rivulets of Blood. There are grammar and punctuation mistakes on literally every page and it was so distracting that I could barely take in what I was reading, let alone enjoy it. If you took out the graphic sexual references, this could easily be a creative writing assignment submission by a young teenager.

Having tried my best to concentrate on the content rather than the writing style, I could determine that the characters are flat with very little development, and I didn't care about any of them. The antagonist is the most interesting person in the book by far, and even he is one-dimensional.

I'm very glad I downloaded this when it was free, and even then I'm annoyed that I wasted 40 minutes of my life trying to wade through it. I would be really annoyed if I'd paid for it!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5