Profile for John Smith > Reviews

Content by John Smith

John Smith (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
FRiEQ® Hi-Speed Extra Long (6 Ft/1.8m) Nylon Braided Tangle-Free USB 2.0 Micro USB Charging/Sync Cable For Samsung Galaxy S4, S3, Note 2, HTC, Motorola, LG, PS4, Xbox one (Black/Green)
Offered by T.M. Enterprise

5.0 out of 5 stars Good long USB cable, 12 Sep 2014
I was a bit worried after reading several negative reviews about tight fits and slow charge times. Happily mine seems to be just fine. It fits my Nexus 7 perfectly and has charged it in a little under 4 hours, which is about the same as the bundled 1m cable. The packet says it charges fast due to the thick gauge. I'm sure that a good thick cable of half this length would charge even faster, but I needed a long enough cable for me to sit with it comfortably in an armchair while it charged from a powerpoint on the floor. Very pleased with this purchase.

Belkin 1.8m RJ11Male to Male Hi-Speed Internet Modem Cable - White
Belkin 1.8m RJ11Male to Male Hi-Speed Internet Modem Cable - White
Offered by ASL

4.0 out of 5 stars Looks and feels strong; packaging poorly designed with postage in mind, 9 Aug 2014
Nothing much you can say about this; it is a strong-looking cable and does the job absolutely perfectly, but then, so will a dozen other makes of modem cable. The cable comes packaged in plastic casing that needs to be destroyed in order to access the product. It also won't fit through a standard letterbox due to the shape of the packaging, so expect the usual card on the doormat if you can't be home 24/7.

GoodBoxCo. Plastic Food Containers  Multipack #1: 650ml Storers - 5 packs of 5
GoodBoxCo. Plastic Food Containers Multipack #1: 650ml Storers - 5 packs of 5

3.0 out of 5 stars They will stain pretty quickly if you like spicey food, 9 Aug 2014
There's nothing "super sturdy" about these, although they do the job. They will stain pretty quickly if you like spicey food, as I do. The lids are NOT microwave-safe, and will warp if microwaved. I don't get the 5-star ratings, and can only put this down to the psychology of needing to believe you've spent your money on something wonderful. Still, they're acceptable for the money, hence 3 stars.

GoodBoxCo. Plastic Food Containers  Multipack #2: 500ml Storers - 5 packs of 5
GoodBoxCo. Plastic Food Containers Multipack #2: 500ml Storers - 5 packs of 5

3.0 out of 5 stars Cheap but not really super sturdy, and don't put lid in microwave, 1 Aug 2014
The name "Super Sturdy Storer" is a bit of a crock; they're probably less-than-average strength tubs, identical to ones I've kept from a takeaway before, nothing particularly "sturdy". Further, the lids are quite *unsturdy* and warp in the microwave. But they are cheap, and at least they can be stored easily, unlike those with the locking lids that cannot slot inside each other when stored. I look forward to the day that some mad scientific genius creates a strong, locking-lid tub with tapered edges for easy storage, but I guess tub technology isn't quite advanced enough yet.

Sensé Touch-free Bin 50L, Green
Sensé Touch-free Bin 50L, Green

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality for the price, 1 July 2014
This review is from: Sensé Touch-free Bin 50L, Green
Length:: 0:16 Mins

Firstly, the sensor is so weak that you have to get so close to it that the lid hits your hand (or the rubbish being held) as it opens.
Secondly it opens with such speed and force that it makes a loud slamming noise each time (assuming it doesn't bump into your hand and stop altogether). It reminds me of Arkwright's shop till in Open All Hours.
Unfortunately I missed the returns window because I delayed a couple of weeks before I got some batteries in it. My bad, I know.
I emailed Made.com to ask if this lid behaviour was normal, describing the weak sensor and the force of the lid flinging open.
I was asked to provide video evidence, which I include here. Listen to the noise of the lid slamming open; the bin actually shakes!
The response from Made.com was that this is normal. So be warned. I've taken the batteries out of mine now and am using manually.

On the plus side, it's a an attractive enough bin, and looks good in my kitchen. The lid is also easy to open manually.

Oh, mine also arrived with some superficial damage to the lower rim. Wasn't enough to bother me in itself, but adds to the general poor quality.

UPDATED FROM TWO TO THREE STARS
I informed Made.com of this review and they immediately informed me they were sending me a replacement lid, apparently accepting that the behaviour was not normal. The new lid performs better, being significantly slower when opening and closing. It doesn't slam like the old lid. The sensor is an improvement on the previous one also, but still not as responsive as I would like.

So, bottom line: I can't recommend this bin.

White Sensé Bin, 50L
White Sensé Bin, 50L

3.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality for the price, 29 Jun 2014
This review is from: White Sensé Bin, 50L
Length:: 0:16 Mins

Firstly, the sensor is so weak that you have to get so close to it that the lid hits your hand or the rubbish as it opens.

On the plus side, it's a an attractive enough bin, and looks good in my kitchen. the lid is also easy to open manually.

UPDATED FROM TWO TO THREE STARS

So, bottom line: I can't recommend this bin.

Dersu Uzala [DVD]
Dersu Uzala [DVD]
Dvd ~ Maksim Munzuk

4.0 out of 5 stars Best remastering yet, 28 Jun 2014
This review is from: Dersu Uzala [DVD] (DVD)
Amazon is not the place for an IMDB-type film review, so I'll stick to reviewing the product, and say that the Artificial Eye release is by far the best quality remastering of this fine film. It's still not great - the source film is not in the best of shape - but it is very watchable, and given that the original reels are long lost, as good as it is ever likely to get.
Nice extras too, with star interviews.

Sennheiser CX 300 II Precision Noise Isolating Ear-canal Phones - Silver
Sennheiser CX 300 II Precision Noise Isolating Ear-canal Phones - Silver

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't fault them, 28 Jun 2014
For the price these are fantastic earphones. The bass is slightly bloated, but I like it as bass is the first thing to get lost under the noise of public transport and traffic noise when walking, so you really need this. The top end is clear and non-fatiguing.
Just make sure you get them at full price from an official dealer, not a cheap n nasty Chinese fake.

Asus Google Nexus 7 7-inch Tablet (2GB RAM, 32GB eMMC)
Asus Google Nexus 7 7-inch Tablet (2GB RAM, 32GB eMMC)
Offered by GSM-Fonz (We are taking orders of Apple iphone 6 and 6 Plus)

4.0 out of 5 stars I love this, my first tablet, 28 Jun 2014
I love this, my first tablet. I like to sit and browse the net while listening to my music system, but hated having my noisy laptop fan distract me. This thing is silent, so I just sit back with it on my lap and browse to my heart's content. Great for reading ebooks when travelling too. The small screen is not too inhibiting because a) it is a really good resolution, and b) a quick double-tap zooms in on whatever you are reading.

Pros: Silent, ultra-clear hi-res screen, small and portable, battery lasts several hours.
Cons: An SD card slot would be nice, but the micro-USB slot can be used to attach an external memory stick or powered drive via a little adapter that can be purchased for a couple of quid. You need to pay for an app to allow full functionality of this though. It also doesn't play embedded flash videos, which is a bit annoying, but to be fair this is a limitation of Android, not the Nexus.

One of the first things I did was install Firefox for Android, with an Ad blocker (Bluhell Firewall) and a YouTube add-on for Firefox that directs to YouTube when tapping on an embedded vid (to allow fullscreen video functionality). I also installed the freeware Splashtop so I can access my laptop remotely, which is great for keeping an eye on downloads, or anything else for that matter.

There are other excellent tablets on the market, but this one is certainly worth considering at the price.

MOFRED®-Micro USB Host Mode On The Go OTG Cable for Nexus 7 / Nexus 7 2 II / Nexus 10 / Samsung Galaxy S / S2 / S3 / S4 / S5 / Samsung N7000 /Archos G9 80 tablet / Archos A70 tablet / NIKON D90 / XOOM / Toshiba TG01 / Nokia N810 / N900 / HTC ONE / Galaxy Note 8.0 Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition / Galaxy Tab 3 -8.0, 10.1 / Nokia Lumia 2520 Tablet / Moto G Phone / Tesco HUDL 7" and Android Micro USB 2.0 Data OTG Cable
Offered by MOFRED PRODUCTS

5.0 out of 5 stars Works perfectly for me, 28 Jun 2014
Works for me. Had to install a freeware app to access whatever I plugged into it, but no probs with that. At the moment I'm limited to accessing small files of under 30MB (need to pay for a pro app to access bigger ones) but that's nothing to do with the cable itself. Recommended.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12