Profile for marsoed > Reviews

Make-Up: The Body Shop
by Bernadine Bibiano
Edition: Spiral-bound

4.0 out of 5 stars Great make up book!, 10 Nov 2004
I really like this book because it has lot of step-by-step pictures in it so it doesn't exhaust you with long description on how to apply make up. It starts with the basic - how to clean your face, followed by how to apply foundation, mascara, lipstick and blusher. After the basic, this book offers various make-up style, starting with natural make-up, matte, bronze, pastel, glossy, and ending with glitter make-up. It doesn't dictate you on how to apply your make up, it just offers a guidance and emphasise that make up should be fun, show your individuality and conceal your blemishes. Another plus point of this book is the models are from various ethnic background (Caucasian, Hispanic, Chinese and Indian) so you can adapt the make up to suit your skin colour, eyes and lips shape. So if you are beginner or hopeless with make up like me, this book will be suitable for you.......

Of Mice and Men (Steinbeck "Essentials")
Of Mice and Men (Steinbeck "Essentials")
by John Steinbeck

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple story with nice description, 4 Nov 2004
I read this book after Dan Brown lists it as one of his favourite books. The storyline is simple, about friendship between two men which ends in tragedy. I really like the way John Steinbeck describes the character and the environment they live in. I think every bookworm should read this book!

The Full Cupboard Of Life (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency)
The Full Cupboard Of Life (No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency)
by Alexander McCall Smith

1.0 out of 5 stars Like reading your daily life, 4 Nov 2004
The plot is really slow and irritating, it is like reading your daily life esp. about the conflict between Mma Ramotswe's fiancee and other mechanic. I skip a few chapters and jump straight to the last chapter. This book focus more on the main character's life and less on Mma Ramotswe's case. Mma Potokwani is getting more and more irritating. She should be banished from the book. I think the first book 'The ladies no 1 detective agency' by far is the best.

Jamie's Dinners
Jamie's Dinners
by Jamie Oliver

3.0 out of 5 stars Too much pictures and the binding is too tight, 1 Nov 2004
This review is from: Jamie's Dinners (Hardcover)
This book is excellent for beginners. I tried the chicken pie recipe and my friends liked it very much. However, the minus point of this book is no. of pictures is greater than the no. of recipes. Another minus point is it is so difficult to spread open the book as the binding is a bit too tight, so it is difficult to read when cooking.

Toy Story [DVD] [1996]
Toy Story [DVD] [1996]
Dvd ~ Tom Hanks
Offered by HalfpriceDVDS_FBA

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent animation movie!, 8 May 2004
This review is from: Toy Story [DVD] [1996] (DVD)
I am not so keen of animation movies. I only watched them when I was a kid. Then I watched Toy Story 2 and Monsters Inc. They were hilarious and enjoyable. I bought Toy Story as it is not available anymore in my country. It was an excellent movie, both Woody and Buzz Lightyear are likeable characters. The plot is good and doesn't have many confusing and silly twists. It is just a simple fun movie for kids. I think it is 3 times better than children movies with real actors nowadays. Let's hope Pixar finds a good distributor soon.

The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (Five Disc Collector's Box Set) [DVD] [2002]
Dvd ~ Elijah Wood|Ian Mackellen|Liv Tyler
Offered by FUNTIME MEDIA

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent package!, 8 May 2004
I received this package as a birthday present and I love it. I watched the movie immediately. It explained why Boromir tried to steal the ring from Frodo, and why Faramir released and helped Frodo and Sam. It has more humour and longer battle scenes than its theaterical version. One curious thing is, the Gollum statue is stuck inside the box and I couldn't take it out. I wonder if it is supposed to be like that. I couldn't be bothered to watch the features DVD as I am not interested in them. I can't wait til the extended version of LOTR Return of the King is released.

Cypher  (2 Disc Edition) [DVD] [2003]
Cypher (2 Disc Edition) [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ Jeremy Northam
Offered by WorldCinema

4.0 out of 5 stars Confusing ending!, 8 May 2004
I watched this movie after good review from movie magazines and I wasn't disappointed. This movie has many plots and twists, every character are not what they seem, they all have hidden motives. I just keep guessing til the end. Jeremy Northam played a likeable character, I feel symphatise with him as he doesn't know what to do with his current situation. The major downside is the ending, the moviemakers could've done a better ending than this. It was too simple and short, I was still don't understand the purpose of the whole mission. Overall, it is a good movie, I would give 5 star if it had better ending.

Simply Divine
Simply Divine
by Wendy Holden

4.0 out of 5 stars Not a classic but hilarious!, 5 May 2004
This review is from: Simply Divine (Paperback)
This book's purpose is to entertain not to become a classic. But I really love and have read it so many times. It doesn't require you to think or analyse the plot, just read it. I couldn't say if Champagne is an ignorant, witty or simply idiot. But everytime she opened her mouth, it was hilarious. However, I think foreigners who are not familiar with British culture or gossip will have difficulty to follow the plot and get the jokes such as who is Tara Palmer Tompkinson? Read it and form your own opinion.

G.I. Jane [DVD] [1997]
G.I. Jane [DVD] [1997]
Dvd ~ Demi Moore
Offered by Jasuli

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as bad as critics said!, 5 May 2004
This review is from: G.I. Jane [DVD] [1997] (DVD)
Quite often when critics wrote a movie is bad, crap, silly, terrible or whatever, the reality is different. This movie is no exception. I quite enjoy to watch this movie, it has a bit of action, drama and politics, even though it's full of American patriotism. The major downside, though, is Demi Moore. In this movie, she turned like sort of 'man' with her bald head, hard muscles and remark 'Suck my ----!'. I guess people expect her to keep her feminity, stays strong during her SEAL training and succeeded at the end. She just doesn't relate to her female audiences. Overall, it is not an instant classic, but entertaining enough to keep me happy. I think Ridley Scott learnt his lesson and made 'Gladiator' as his next project.