Profile for Aged 59 > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Pure... Psychedelic Rock
Pure... Psychedelic Rock

5.0 out of 5 stars Stupid Title - Excellent Music!, 22 Jun. 2014
I bought this boxset in order to own In The Year 2025 by Zager & Evans which I'd heard on R6. And then I was re-acquainted with The Chambers Brothers who are worth further investigation. There are lots of decent tracks on this compilation but I'm not sure any are psychedelic! That's not to say no LSD was harmed in the making of the music...

Immediate Records: Labels Unlimited
Immediate Records: Labels Unlimited
by Simon Spence

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth Reading Immediately, 11 May 2014
If, like me, you were around in the 60s and remember buying singles on the Immediate label then this book is essential reading despite it being full of mistakes and falling apart almost as soon as I started reading it! Andrew Loog Oldham was an amazing character who wanted to sign Led Zeppelin except he was short of cash having wasted so much previously. It's inspired me to buy more books about the music biz and rock star managers. I still can't believe that the Beatles were originally on a 2% royalty!

All Cheeses Great and Small: A Life Less Blurry
All Cheeses Great and Small: A Life Less Blurry
by Alex James

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, 11 May 2014
I'm not sure who this book is aimed at - there's not much about music and any would-be farmer is not going to find it very useful either. There's no agricultural problem that can't be solved by Alex throwing money at it and he can easily afford to make mistakes. When I got to the end I was informed that much of it had already been published elsewhere which might explain a lot.

Sun Structures
Sun Structures
Offered by momox co uk

5.0 out of 5 stars Not Psychedelic Enough..., 20 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Sun Structures (Audio CD)
I'm old enough to remember 60s Psychedelia and this falls short.
Sometimes it's almost Lounge!
But it's still a brilliant offering and I hope they take more chances with their next CD.
But I'm disappointed with the packaging - why didn't Rushton Triangular Lodge get a credit?
And why didn't the packaging feature all 3 exteriors and all 3 interiors?
It would've been interesting - who cares about the band?

Bib Aprons Colour: Black & White Stripe.
Bib Aprons Colour: Black & White Stripe.
Offered by Nextday Catering Equipment Supplies

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Value, 7 Dec. 2013
I wanted to look like a professional chef and this product does just that.
No pockets is a plus but the polyester/cotton mix means it doesn't mop up messes very well. You get what you pay for.

Still Legal
Still Legal
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favourite CD Of 2013, 7 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Still Legal (Audio CD)
Bp Fallon has a long history and he chose a good backing band - or were they thrust upon him? Whatever - this is the CD I keep coming back to so he must've done something right!

The Colony Room Club 1948-2008: A History of Bohemian Soho
The Colony Room Club 1948-2008: A History of Bohemian Soho
by Sophie Parkin

1.0 out of 5 stars Good Subject, Bad Book!, 7 Dec. 2013
What a wasted opportunity! This could've been so much better. Worth buying for the photos if they're important to you. As for the prose? Why didn't an Editor check all her spellings? So many names wrong! The alcoholics in the Colony Room might find that amusing but I don't!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 17, 2014 6:37 PM GMT

Mark Kozelek & Desertshore (Digi)
Mark Kozelek & Desertshore (Digi)

1.0 out of 5 stars Plea From A Dinosaur, 2 Nov. 2013
I know this CD is excellent and I want to buy it! But I can't as it was only released as a limited edition so now it's fetching silly money on eBay - I bid £22 which wasn't enough. I'm not equipped for downloads so Mr Kozelek has missed a sale.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 25, 2015 10:30 AM BST

Ultimatum: (Tina Boyd 6)
Ultimatum: (Tina Boyd 6)
by Simon Kernick

1.0 out of 5 stars One-Dimensional, Unimaginative Etc., 11 July 2013
I was amazed to find this book had attracted just one one star review!
I've read several of Simon Kernick's books and, in my opinion, they just keep getting worse. If you're in an airport and looking for something to occupy you during your flight you might be pleased you bought it but there are so many better books out there. The Tina Boyd character really annoys me - why is she still employed as a policewoman when she is such a liability?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 8, 2016 2:47 PM GMT

A Field In England [Blu-ray]
A Field In England [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ Julian Barratt

5.0 out of 5 stars My New Favourite Film, 7 July 2013
My previous # 1 was The Ninth Gate followed by The Wicker Man and, funnily enough, Witchfinder General! I watched A Field In England on TV after driving 500 miles and it kept me awake. Astonishingly good and like nothing I've ever watched before. The psychedelic sequence was particularly brilliant. Who cares about plot, story, characters - I just want to watch it again! And it's very English which makes a change.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7