ARRAY(0xb0b90a50)

WiFi File Transfer For KindleFire
WiFi File Transfer For KindleFire
Price: 0.62

1.0 out of 5 stars Wi-Fi transfer not, 23 Feb 2014
I resent paying 62p for this.

It is an add-on, not a free standing app, and I neither want nor need an internet file sharing app when what I want is file sharing on my local network.

WiFi file transfer for KindleFire is what it says, but this app is not capable of doing that on its own. Miss sold and a bit useless.

I want my 62p back.

Man of Steel [Blu-ray + UV Copy] [2013] [Region Free]
Man of Steel [Blu-ray + UV Copy] [2013] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Henry Cavill
Price: 10.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't do it, don't buy this blooming awful film!!, 21 Dec 2013
This film is dreadful. I really looked forward to seeing it, but I just can't watch it any more. I nodded off for five minutes when Jor El was explaining the movie to the bewildered star. Why do film makers feel that they have to turn every decent subject for a movie into a soppy soap opera, or is it the film watching public that are to blame?

If you like East Enders and Corrie, maybe you'll like this, but if you are a Superman fan??? It's the sort of film only the most blindly loyal fan could love and defend. Make another like this and there will not be a third. I predict yet another re-imagining of Superman before a second sequel comes out, unless the film makers grow a decent set of balls.

Not one scene in this film has been made to excite or thrill - even his first scene in the cape seems deliberately put together to quench any excitement. It has been made purely to tug at the emotional heart strings, and as a result, it is a dirge of a movie that many will find unpalatable, some will find unwatchable, and some will like but they'll have forgotten it long before those that were disappointed by it. There'll be some that say they love it, but heck, I love Lair of the White Worm!

Let it be remembered that these film makers are the guys that made Superman just another average hero. Leave LCD soap opera to the low budget TV channels that do it so well, and make blockbuster movies that bust blocks.

TVCatchup
TVCatchup
Price: 0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff, 19 Sep 2013
This review is from: TVCatchup (App)
So far (two weeks) TV Catchup has done absolutely everything it said on the packet!! It really is rather splendid.

Night of the Demon (1957) [DVD]
Night of the Demon (1957) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Dana Andrews
Price: 19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The Demon debate, 5 Aug 2011
Incredible film, well worth the wait, but what a pity we did have to wait so long.

Regarding the Demon debate, whether or not it should have been shown, Tony Earnshaw's book on the making of the film, Beating the Devil, covers the matter pretty well, including some quotes from Tourneur and other crew members that seem to be contradictory; that is, in most places he seems adamant that the demon did not appear by his design, but in one or two others it seems that he was not just aware, but also active in placing it within the film. Personally, I suspect that the truth can be found by watching the film itself. There are two elements to the Demon special effect: the long shot, which is absolutely stunning, particularly given the low budget on which it was achieved; the other is a rather pathetic man in a monster suit, which appears very briefly, and could be seen as justification of Tourneur's repugnance for the appearance of the Demon. I have no doubt it is only these few dozen frames featuring the rubber clad SFX man that could have caused the director's consternation. The shame of it is that they could easily have been left out without affecting the film in anything but a positive manner.

MAKE NO MISTAKE - The appearance of the Demon is incredible, adding to and complimenting the film, and ultimately being the thing that stamps the film in the mind. Without it, the film would have still been great, but I suspect it would not have fascinated so many minds for so many years. Any pseudo intellectual babble about it spoiling the film in any way is ill conceived. It is only a few frames that do the damage, not the presence of the demon itself, and they are not enough to take away from the over all effect.

In my opinion, the appearance of the Demon is one of the most brilliant realisations of a film monster in any movie of any time, and one of the most striking scenes in movies full stop.

Tony Earnshaw's book is an excellent companion to the film, though I suggest watching it before reading the book, and then watching again.

But whatever happens, make sure you do watch it!

The Witcher 2 - Premium Edition (PC DVD)
The Witcher 2 - Premium Edition (PC DVD)
Offered by GameWizard UK
Price: 19.49

1.0 out of 5 stars Incredible dissapointment, 28 May 2011
= Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars
Think very carefully before you buy this. I purchased it originally before any patches and was so dissapointed that I sold it on. Now, I was desperate for this game to come out, I really enjoyed the Witcher, despite it's buggyness, and would have been satisfied had this been just a continuation of what I consider to be one of the best overall PC games I have played. What has come out is poorly tested and seemingly incomplete, with a wealth of bugs and design faults that the developers should be ashamed of. Frankly, this new version is a bit stinky. Despite that, I recently bought a new copy and started playing it again, in case I had been too hasty in ditching my first copy.

I desperately want to play and enjoy this game, and am set back at every step. I'm sure there's a great game in there, but I can't get to it, and seem to be fighting against the game itself. There are good things in there, but it is just so frustrating to play.

I am fed up with a control system that is so clunky that in combat, I can find myself fiddling with wall torches that are yards away from the action whilst trying to soundly thrash an oponent. I'm fed up with a combat system that is so unresponsive that I have no confidence going into battle, and find myself testing weapons and response before doing so. I am fed up that (inconceivably) the control system is not capable of achieving essential functions within the game. I am fed up with the mouse icon flashing up as I move around, causing me to double back, only to find nothing to interact with. I am fed up that Geralt turns with slightly less ease than the Titanic, when I really need him to spin round; he must cover the equivalent of about two metres when pulling a 180, and my Nan does better than that with her Zimmer frame. I am fed up that the game intercedes with Geralt during combat (casting unasked for signs), lending credence to the feeling that I have no real level of control in combat (a wide number of elements have been added to combat, but it feels like click and hope more than any system I have used before). I am fed up that the start of the game is so linear, and fear that this will continue later into the game (at least one scenario in the first chapter where Geralt just drops dead if you don't deal with the situation in the prescribed manner). If you like your games that way, then fair enough, but a major part of the appeal for me is the lack of line toeing in the first game. And, these things still taking place even though the game is already on it's second major patch!! Nice. And to cap it all, I have just started crashing to desktop.

At the moment, I really cannot see anything in this second game that improves on the original, and I can't tell you how much I am dissapointed by that. If I do manage to persist with the game (and I really do want it to be a great game) I will let you know. DA may fall short of the original Witcher, but at least it is easy to run and easy to play. For me at least, The Witcher 2 is not.

Please think very careful before buying this game.
Edit this post Permalink
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 5, 2011 5:13 PM GMT

The Witcher Enhanced Edition (PC)
The Witcher Enhanced Edition (PC)
Offered by Gameseek
Price: 9.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Witcher enhanced: buy it, but only if you don't have the original, 25 Sep 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I love this game, it is excellent, if you don't have the game yet, then buy this enhanced edition, don't even think about it, put it in the basket.

But there just isn't enough in this update to justify a new game price for existing owners. I bought it to support the developers but have now been struck by what I can only conceive as cynical marketing. I really resent now being made to pay for a work in progress.

I have my receipt and am seriously considering taking the thing back and updating through the download - most of the changes are to faulty parts of the game. Two new adventures yes, but not part of the overall game, and not justification for the price tag.

HOWEVER, I must say again, the Witcher is a fantastic game, and if you don't have a copy of it already, then buy it, and if you are going to buy it, go for the enhanced edition, in that case it will be well worth it!!

The extras are OK, but are for hard core fans only, except the game guide; the over enthusiastic review above seems rather un-naturally excited about the whole thing. I cannot imagine anyone who has bought the enhanced edition for the gaming being particularly knocked out by the difference.

I am all for supporting the developers, but there seems to be a lack of sincerity in this presentation (the distributors?) that has left me feeling very dissapointed.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 8, 2008 12:17 PM BST

Dead Man's Shoes [DVD] [2004]
Dead Man's Shoes [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Paddy Considine
Price: 4.25

5.0 out of 5 stars Best slasher movie ever, 19 July 2007
Have no doubt about it, this movie is as much a slasher movie as any of the Friday 13 entries ever was - there's even a baseball mask substitute in the form of a rubber gas mask. Only this time the tables are turned on the naughty boys and they find that you don't have to be bad to be very bad.

After watching this, I imagine all the chaps will picture themselves as Paddy Considine facing off one of the local bully boys with his hands behind his back and legs astride - it's as irrisistible a character as Bond. I doubt any of Hollywood's finest, Freddy, Jason or Michael Myers, could have filled their victims, and viewers, with as much terror as their new compatriot Richard, an unassuming chap from Midlands way.

Don't get this film wrong though - it is as intelligent as it is thrilling and horrific; a strength which strangely leaves it susceptible to a dissapointing ending (I am not referring to the twist here, but the resolution). I won't go into great detail, and I appreciate that a lot of people will see the ending as reflecting the humanity, but I think it could have been done just as well without diluting Richard's rage.

That said - I have no complaints and am just expressing a hankering for a braver, less PC outcome.

This is a fantastic film which I came to late in the day. I can't say how delighted (strange word to use in connection with this film) I am that I discovered it, and that it is British. Now - I look forward to Richard X in twenty years time, and then a Richard, Freddy, Michael and Jason battle royal to follow - my money's on the boy from Burton!!

Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased) [1969] [DVD]
Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased) [1969] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Mike Pratt
Offered by tastymate
Price: 45.96

5.0 out of 5 stars Randall and Hopkirk lives!!, 11 July 2007
I was never going to give this collection anything other than 5 stars for the content of the series alone. For me, Randall and Hopkirk and the Persuaders are the best of ITC's incredible output of TV film series of the sixties and seventies. No coincidence that both shows feature totally engaging double acts in the leads.

However, as much as I love the Persuaders, it was always Randall and Hopkirk that I held most dearly to my heart. Maybe, and quite bizzarly, I think it was the more accessable characters in Randall and Hopkirk that won the day. Kenneth Cope and Mike Pratt's character's, albeit one of them a ghost, were much more regular, everyday, likable chaps, whereas Wilde and Sinclair were from a more glamorous lifestyle - as well as being played by two superstars of the day - and that made them seem a little less real perhaps, whilst still being, for me, one of the best and most natural double acts to grace the small screen. So, whilst both programmes were the two stand out quality productions of ITC, it's Randall and Hopkirk by a whisker.

I missed the previous DVD release of the show, and have eagerly awaited this special edition. I haven't had time to watch all the episodes yet, but have been pleased with the presentation quality of the episodes I have seen. The extras too are great, with an informative documentary on the programme featuring stars and production crew, an affectionate look at the life of Mike Pratt (not a bad word about him, which, as a fan is exactly how I liked it) and more that I will be delving into in the near future. There are a couple of booklets in the package that look very painstaking - Andrew Pixley isn't my first choice writer for these sort of things, but you know you're going to get a lot of detail and enthusiasm if not the most engaging of prose (though I know there are many that would prefer the more no nonsense approach).

All in all, just having all the episodes on DVD in a good quality presentation at an affordable opening price is reason enough to give this five stars, but given the extras I personally find it irrisistible, and the highlight release of the last few years.

Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne (PS2)
Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne (PS2)

2.0 out of 5 stars Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne, 4 Jan 2006
How come so many people enjoy such a controlled environment to play in. You can't wander off and explore, there seems little opportunity to take any alternative paths to achieve goals (doors remain locked until it is time for you to go through them, after having taken all the previous steps carefully planned for you). If anything intresting happens, a cut scene invariably starts to control the outcome, and frankly make the experience more like watching a DVD with a very fancy interactive menue.
This could be the first game to be based on an automated customer care 'phone service.
The graphics look good and the interface is OK, though the bullet time and dodge features are pretty pathetic in terms of enhancing game play, and are certainly not enough to distract from the fact that you are following an exact step by step path as layed down by the developers who want to control your every move. Frankly, I would rather use a Microsoft programme with all the auto help features turned on and cranked up to their most useful.