Profile for Phil De Cube > Reviews

Content by Phil De Cube

Phil De Cube

Les nuits mélangées (French Edition)
Les nuits mélangées (French Edition)

4.0 out of 5 stars A candid and vivid account., 20 Jan 2014
Les nuits mélangées is an honest and realistic account of a young woman gradually getting involved into drugs and prostitution. Far from an hyper-realistic and gritty nightmare like Christiane F's "the children of Bahnhof zoo", Lea Lescure carefully avoids the sordid details that are usually a staple of this literary genre. Not because she wants to hide the reality but simply because they would be gratuitous to the main story: her own process through this phase in her life. Don't get me wrong, the book is in no way an upbeat story, nor it is an apology of prostitution. Instead, Lea shows in a few chapters, how mundane it can be to slide into a world of partying, recreational drugs, and sex clubs and arrive casually into prostitution. No childhood trauma, no pimps, no slave traders, no abusive husband, no baby to feed. All the most common causes for these kind of stories that our newspapers headlines are all too hungry for are dismissed in this book. Instead, we see a very slow but compelling progression driven by very common actors: Boring life, even more boring studies that leads nowhere, naivety, the lure of easy money, an apathy and a desire to be validated in some way. Inside this world, the author gives again a truthful and impartial account of her life there: No ordeal, no sob story, but no walk in the park either. Finally, the exit from this world is just as simple as it was to get into and Lea's internal process is well described as the main ingredient of her transformation.
A very good book that reads like a first person's novel and that can fulfil the role of an antidote to the horror stories that some media sometimes perpetuate to sell their moralist agenda.

Master Class Acero Stainless Steel Santoku Knife
Master Class Acero Stainless Steel Santoku Knife

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb edge, 5 Dec 2013
I bought this knife to replace a £12 santoku that I got from Sainsbury and broke at the handle while cutting Chorizo! I was fed up with these so called forged handles that are so badly made and found this master-class knife with a full blade and handle in one piece. My only concern was that it was made of stainless steel and thought the edge would not be as sharp as a carbon-steel one. After one month of use and hand-cleaning (no dishwasher), I can tell that the blade is a perfect as a carbon steel one and that its sharpness has not diminished one bit.
This knife is a must-have in a kitchen!

thumbsUp! Touch Speaker
thumbsUp! Touch Speaker
Offered by Gadget Grotto

2.0 out of 5 stars Creaky sound most of the time, 5 Dec 2013
I saw this device at a friend's place and loved it straight away. The sound was good and crisp and I was mostly seduced by the fact that it doesn't need any wires or protocols (bluetooth/wifi) to get hooked.
Unfortunately, when I received my device, I tried to put my phone (a Nexus S) on it and it took me ages to find a position which would allow the amplification to occur. It seemed that putting it on batteries was even worse but powering through USB was already quite bad. And even if I managed to catch a signal, the sound coming out of the speakers was crackling. I tried with another phone (a galaxy S3 mini) and the problems were identical. The device is probably faulty. I could have returned it but, considering the price, I couldn't be bothered (I bought this thing because I'm too lazy to press two buttons to hook up through bluetooth, remember?) . So I guess it's my fault... or maybe just don't send us faulty devices in the first place?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 14, 2013 3:26 PM GMT

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Misses a lot of hair, 17 Jun 2013
The price is good (I don't understand why people would spend 200 quids on a shaver anyway).
I am not convinced by the pivoting head although a welcome side-effect is that this design prevents the cut hair to get into the main body and clutter the electronics over time (that's the main reason I had to change my shaver).
The pop-up trimmer is working well but is not in a convenient place (Has to turn the shaver around).
But my main gripe is that it simply doesn't shave very well. It gives a close shave when it gets the hair, but it also leaves a lot of hair behind that I have to finish off with a disposable razor. I used to have a different brand before and it was much more efficient to shave *all* the hair on my face. It now takes me almost twice the time to shave for the same result.
I am tempted to drop that one and go back to my previous brand (It was a Brawn. Shame the model doesn't exist anymore).

The Sex Myth: Why Everything We're Told is Wrong
The Sex Myth: Why Everything We're Told is Wrong

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb and rigorous debunking work, 20 May 2013
This is a book that made me shout "Yes! At last somebody with sense and method!" at nearly every page.
Dr Magnanti explores the most unfairly propagated myths about sex and do so by carefully and scientifically debunking all the so-called studies that are relentlessly used or misused to push either sensationalist and/or incompetent news on one hand, or the dubious agenda of sexophobic and/or technophobic crusaders.
The author's scientific methods are impeccable and her counter arguments are very well explained even to the non-expert.
Contrarily to what another review claim, I can attest that references are made for every citation she presents or paper she refers. Also, her style is sometime colloquial but it is in no way at the detriment of the book contents nor of the rigour of the scientific approach used.
I initially feared that being a former sex-worker could be a hindrance for her objectivity but it was not the case: She uses no preconceptions to influence her reasoning while being open-minded and candid, two very useful qualities when dealing with such a loaded domain as sex studies.
This book was a breath of fresh air that confirmed my suspicions after reading wobbly 'studies' after another, and also taught me a great deal about statistical methodologies that can be used for other domains that also fall prey of sensationalist journalism or scaremongering politics. Excellent book !

The Euphoria Of Emily K (A Contemporary Erotic Fantasy)
The Euphoria Of Emily K (A Contemporary Erotic Fantasy)

5.0 out of 5 stars A great short story with loads of atmosphere, 16 Nov 2012
I got pleasantly surprised by this book. It mixes great sex scenes descriptions with a very good atmospheric narrative.
I would have liked to know more about some points of the plot (how often does it happen in an erotic novel ?) but I guess (and hope) it will be left for a sequel ?
The protagonist feelings were described in a believable way which is a refreshing change (Fifty shades anyone ?).
In summary, a great erotic book with an actual story you care about !

7dayshop 500Mbps High Speed Mini HomePlug / Powerline Ethernet Network Adapter - Single Adapter - Eco Packaging
Offered by 7dayshop Limited (VAT Registered)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great item., 13 Oct 2012
I bought my first pair when I wanted to connect my WebTV box to the internet. The wireless was just not fast enough (I have a budget router). It worked great so when my NAS arrived, I added one more and then another one for my laptop when I need really fast file transfers. Now I can comfortably and safely stream movies or move files around from anywhere. Before, when I wanted bandwidth on my LAN, I had to downgrade encryption on the router (which is not safe at all).
It's a very clever way to get a LAN in your house when you can't or won't lay some wires all over the place. I have been using them for one year now and they all work perfectly.

Russell Hobbs 18152 Kettle in Stainless Steel (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Russell Hobbs 18152 Kettle in Stainless Steel (Discontinued by Manufacturer)

2.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work !, 20 May 2011
The package was delivered on time but it was not working at all. I checked the fuse (fine), the switch (fine). It seemed that the resistance was busted.
Got a return ticket for it, put it back in the packaging, sent it and a few days later got a full refund. Smooth. Hence the two stars for the service.
Went to ASDA and got myself a nice cheap kettle that works.
Although I admit that zero-defect does not exist, maybe Amazon need to take additional steps to ensure that the quality of their small items is thoroughly verified. Otherwise, they will probably discourage a few customers to buy them in the future. I know what I'll do...