Profile for Skylord > Reviews

Skylord (Somerset, UK.)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Hi Fidelity Network Players., 29 Jan. 2014
I am very pleased with the NAS but it is my first NAS, so I've got nothing to compare it with. It's got 2x western digital 2TB red hard drives. I wish I'd gone for 3TB just to store some video and offload the MAC hard drive. Having said that, I have only used 22% storage so far and that's with my entire music collection (300+ CDs) and time machine backup from 2 MACS. It's using Synology hybrid RAID to provide a mirror image of the primary hard drive on the secondary (in case 1 drive fails with all your music on it). I'm also using the free Synology media server to stream the files to the network. Set up was very easy and I managed most of it from reading the excellent support notes on the synology website. The NAS is connected to the wireless router by a network lead and the wireless router has a lead connected to a network adapter plugged into the ring main. The music is streamed via the ring main to another network adaptor, about 20 metres away, by the Yamaha CDN-500 network player. I rip my CDs with the MAC and they are sent via wifi to the NAS using a Phile Audio app from the Apple App Store. This usually identifies the correct CD and inserts all the album artist, track names and genre. You have to find the artwork yourself, but that is easy with google, you just click and drag the artwork to the app and it is automatically inserted. The artwork will then appear on you IOS, Google, windows device so you can see what you are playing. FLAC is simple, uncomplicated and sounds very good. Apple lossless seemed to be lacking something sound wise , WAV files were huge and Ogg Vorbis just seemed to have too many options. After experimenting with the first couple of CD's, I found the format I preferred (FLAC) tweaked various settings with Phile App and DSM to ensure album art was included and then paid my daughter 50p per CD to rip my entire collection over the summer holidays. The NAS is stable and reliable, stitting in the laundry room with the wireless router and it looks after itself. It wakes up when the yamaha needs it, recovers itself after a power cut and will even automatically update it's own software (although I've turned this off as I don't want it rebooting when I'm about to listen to Music). It's also used for streaming to my daughter's Denon Cocoon using the same DLNA system as the Yamaha and works a treat on that too. It seems solid and well made and quiet and will hopefully last a good few years. It was also pretty good value for money compared to others and got good reviews from professionals and consumers as per the WD red HDD's. I am very pleased with the set up, it works well and sounds great. My CD's are in a box in the loft and a lot of space has been freed up in our home. Hope this helps.

deadmau5 At Play - Volume 3
deadmau5 At Play - Volume 3
Offered by Side Two

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent CD, 6 Dec. 2013
I love this CD. Its particularly good to listen to whilst sweating out on the turbo trainer. Joel Zimmerman show's great attention to detail with his recordings and there is so much humour in the sounds he creates. Very uplifting, exciting and different electronic music. Highly recommended.

Miele S8340 Miele Eco Line Solution Cylinder Vacuum Cleaner
Miele S8340 Miele Eco Line Solution Cylinder Vacuum Cleaner

5.0 out of 5 stars Confused? This is the Miele to get!, 6 Dec. 2013
I read loads of reviews, including Which? after our Miele S424i which lasted 18 years, packed up. The fittings at each end of the hose on the old vacuum cleaner deteriorated and kept falling off; it wasn't cost effective to fix, although the parts are still available; everything else works perfectly. Of all the 8 series vacuum cleaners to get, this is the one because it is the quietest, it has all the tools: turbo brush, airteq head, parquet head plus all the usual mini tools inside. It also has a quiet 1200 watt motor so it is the most energy efficient Miele too. The build quality is exquisite, it is SO quiet and the suction is amazing. It does a really good job on carpets, rugs and wooden floors. Shop around though, I got this for below £180 from Peter Tyson, via Amazon pay. Very, very pleased with this and highly recommended.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 18, 2014 11:49 AM GMT

Ruark Audio R1 WALNUT DAB Digital Radio 10 Station Preset Walnut
Ruark Audio R1 WALNUT DAB Digital Radio 10 Station Preset Walnut

2.0 out of 5 stars Overrated and overpriced., 26 Nov. 2013
This radio is overrated and overpriced. The sound quality is ordinary, the controls are flimsy, counter intuitive, poorly labeled and are not illuminated. The device does not remember audio settings after a power interruption. The aerial is huge and it has no battery. However, the clock display is very good and the brightness adjusts very well according to ambient light. Having said that, £170 for an LED clock radio in a pseudo walnut box is a LOT of money! Not recommended.

French Lavender, Geranium & Juniper scented Candle by NEOM Luxury Organics
French Lavender, Geranium & Juniper scented Candle by NEOM Luxury Organics

2.0 out of 5 stars Overpriced & overpowering, 15 Nov. 2013
These are very fancy looking candles, but leave them burning for more than a few minutes and the scent is overpowering. Then, consider your paying the best part of £40 for a candle and reality sets in. There are far better cottage industry alternatives to this that you can burn all evening without getting a sore chest, a headache and getting into debt. A good money spinner for Neom though!

Moon Landing (Deluxe Edition)
Moon Landing (Deluxe Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars Back to his best, 26 Oct. 2013
James Blunt is back on form. I haven't really been grabbed by his work since "Back to Bedlam" (perhaps because James locked himself away at Carrie Fisher's [Princess Leia] place for a year, as he did whilst composing "Back to Bedlam"). This is a soulful and moving album, Miss America is my favourite so far. Highly recommended for emotional people!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 23, 2014 7:30 PM BST

Yamaha CD-N500 CD Player
Yamaha CD-N500 CD Player

5.0 out of 5 stars Versatile music player, 13 July 2013
Having collected CD's over the last 30 years with nowhere to put them, this device seemed to be the solution to my problem. I have connected it to a NAS drive (Synology d213j) via the ring main courtesy of 2 ethernet adapters (Solwise AV200). My hifi system is an eclectic mix of Rogers Studio 1A speakers and a Yamaha AS500 amplifier. After a bit of setting up, mainly with the NAS drive and iTunes, then installing a free Synology media package, I have started storing my CD's in Apple lossless format, to the NAS drive. It will play FLAC or WAV files but Apple lossless was just much more convenient for me. I control the player either with the supplied remote, or far better, with an iPhone or iPad using the yamaha network player app. I can listen to music directly from my iPhone (MP3) wirelessly on the network or by plugging it into the yamaha USB socket on the front panel. I can stream Internet radio which sounds surprisingly good and is on a par with FM quality broadcasts. The Yamaha also has a built in CD player. The jewel in the crown is playing the apple lossless files via the network. You can hardly tell the difference between playing a CD in the device and streaming. Access to all the albums is quick and easy now I've got 300+ CD's stored in a NAS the size of an egg box with quick easy access at my finger tips. The only negatives are: the mid-range is slightly lacking when playing popular music compared to my previous Yamaha pro bit CD player (although the Yamaha AS700 brings this back apparently) and I cannot see the album artwork on the IOS devices. Both these issues, I'm sure I will be able to resolve with a bit of study. Yamaha are really making some cracking kit at the moment and they are very modest about it. The CD-N500 is a very good mid-budget network player and is extremely good value for money, especially when compared to the likes of Linn or NAIM. The sound quality, particularly when playing classical music over the network, is excellent. The whole set up is a very rewarding experience and has completely solved my CD storage problem. Highly recommended.

Update - using Phile app from the iMac App store to rip CD's into FLAC. Sounds even better now (listening to Music instead of system) and got album artwork showing up on iPad & iPhone. Keeping iTunes for IOS low-fi devices and separate from NAS which is being kept for lossless audio and time machine only. Very happy now.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 26, 2014 1:14 PM GMT

Billion BiPAC 7800N Dual WAN ADSL2+/Broadband Wireless-N Gigabit Firewall Modem Router

5.0 out of 5 stars Believe the hype: Reliable and Fast, 9 Jun. 2013
We live out in the sticks about 4 miles from the exchange and the green BT junction box is about half a mile away in the village. We are on ADSL2 with our ISP and are slowly switching to Apple devices at home. Our previous wireless broadband router, a Netgear DG834PN, had real problems connecting to multiple to devices: eg. put the wifi on the iPhone and the wifi on the MacBook would drop out etc and involved lots of shouting around the house to switch certain devices off. The Billion connects to all devices quickly with no issues which is as it should be. As far as our broadband speed goes, the Netgear used to get about 1.7 mbps, the Billion gets 2.4 mbps. The wifi range itself is marginally better than the Netgear which was wireless G and works throughout about 70% of the house. I may get the Biilion range extender to plug into the mains, but it's quite nice to have dead zones in the house to get away from the gadgets sometimes! Reading all the reviews here on Amazon and on the tech review websites, it appears there are a few tweeks that can be made to improve performance. I haven't done this as I haven't got a clue what I'm doing. I just followed the quick start guide and logged in with my username and password for the ISP; it was as easy as that and I'm more than pleased with the performance. Very highly recommended.

Norbar 3/8-inch 1-20Nm Torque Wrench with Adjustable Ratchet (Old Version)
Norbar 3/8-inch 1-20Nm Torque Wrench with Adjustable Ratchet (Old Version)

5.0 out of 5 stars Professional Quaity, 8 Feb. 2013
I bought this for home maintenance on my carbon road bike. The 3/8" drive is compatible with the Park Tool SBS-1 socket and bit set which has all the commonly used sockets, hex and tork bits used on bikes. The build quaIty is excellent, the handle is extremely comfortable and the scale is clear and precise. The torque can be locked by folding the handle and the "click" when the correct torque is reached is unmistakable. What I really like is the calibration certificate which none of the common "bike" torque wrenches have. It comes with a simple plastic case too. Very pleased with this purchase and highly recommended for the home maintenance connoisseur!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 4, 2014 2:37 PM BST

Kimberly-Clark WYPALL X70 Brag Box Cleaning Wipers Approx. 150 Cloths Size 310x420mm Ref 8383
Offered by Choice Stationery Supplies Limited

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for bicycle cleaning and maintenance, 18 Dec. 2012
I've run out of old sweatshirts so needed a cloth for wiping down my roadbike frame after riding in the rain, which has happened quite a lot in the UK this year! This cloth is strong and does not disintegrate after getting wet with water or solvents. It's great for drying the chain after washing in solvent and after lubricating too. Although expensive, there are 150 wipes in a box and they do the job far better than anything else I've tried. They're also good for wiping down greasy tools after servicing the bike. Highly absorbent and 1 cloth lasts the whole job from start to finish. Very highly recommended.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5