Profile for Mr. Daniel E. C. Whiston > Reviews

Content by Mr. Daniel E. ...

Mr. Daniel E. C. Whiston "War or Peace?" (England)

The Emperor's Knives: Empire VII (Empire series)
The Emperor's Knives: Empire VII (Empire series)
by Anthony Riches

4.0 out of 5 stars A note to the publishers!!!, 14 Feb. 2014
I have been eagerly awaiting the seventh instalment in Anthony Riches Empire series and I have little doubt that this book will be as brilliant as all his previous books and I bet I will consider it as five star rated book, once I get stuck into it. However on receiving the book a few moments ago, I was annoyed to discover that some stupid numpty at Hodder & Stoughton (the publishers) has sent the dust jacket to print with a sticker saying 'Includes exclusive short story' actually printed on the dust jacket. Although I am pleased that there is a bonus short story. I can't get my head around why anyone would think it was a good idea to ruin the cover of the book, with a printed sticker! In my opinion real stickers on hardbacks are bad enough, as they can be a nightmare to peal off. I'm not sure really what the purpose of a sticker on a book bought over the net is going to achieve, it's not exactly going to draw anyone's attention to the book to purchase it, as they have already done so. Rant over, I will now have read a book with an annoying cover.

Legionary: The Roman Soldier's (Unofficial) Manual (Unofficial Manuals)
Legionary: The Roman Soldier's (Unofficial) Manual (Unofficial Manuals)
by Philip Matyszak

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent!!!, 1 Feb. 2012
I'm the sort of person who only writes reviews when an item is real good of really bad. This book falls straight into the really good catagory. I've purchased several factural Roman books and I find that I will dive into them from time to time, when I'm reading a fictional roman story and I'm curious about gaining some extra background knowledge. Not this book! Once you've started it you will want to finish it. Legionary is a really enjoyable read, with some good humour in the mix, and an easy understanding of what it might have been like to be a legionary.

Soldier of Rome: Heir to Rebellion: Book Three of The Artorian Chronicles
Soldier of Rome: Heir to Rebellion: Book Three of The Artorian Chronicles
by James Mace

3.0 out of 5 stars A little disapointing, 19 Oct. 2010
I loved the first 2 books in the series, but this one was a little disapointing compared to them. I'm glad I read it, but I hope the next book is as good as the first 2, without endless talk about body building, the author might be interest in it but i'm not.