Profile for D. Williams > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
War Horse
War Horse

5.0 out of 5 stars great soundtrack, 8 Mar. 2013
This review is from: War Horse (MP3 Download)
As with the majority of John Williams scores, this soundtrack is a very enjoyable experience and one that I would recommend.

Make better videos with your dslr or camera: Filming with Canon and Nikon dslr, compact cameras and camcorder

2.0 out of 5 stars desperately needs proof reading, 18 Feb. 2013
I think it's a great idea that amateur photographers/videpgraphers publish a little booklet about their experiences. So, well done to Alex Sally for trying, BUT, he really should proof read his articles before publishing and charging for the book. It is full of typos, spelling mistakes and missing words etc. etc. Also, he repeats himself over and over again, but I guess this is his enthusiasm running away with him. At best, this book is for complete novices, and to be fair, in this regard does offer some good tips on filming and buying equipment, but I do mean strictly for complete beginners.
Alex Sally needs to sit down and read his own book and seriously consider a complete re-write. He does take pretty good photos and video after all, so why not spend a little more time and thought on producing this book.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 23, 2013 4:20 PM GMT

Filmmaker's Handbook 2013 Edition, The
Filmmaker's Handbook 2013 Edition, The
by Steven Ascher

5.0 out of 5 stars Any film makers Bible, 6 Feb. 2013
I was blown away with the volume and quality of information contained in this book.
It's well researched and written in a way that amateur and professional film makers will benefit.
Already (only had it for a week), I have learnt so much more about cameras, filming, sound recording and project planning etc., and I really thought
I knew it all!
It doesn't matter if you are amateur (like me), or professional, this book will serve you well. Highly recommended.

Sony NEX-VG20EH 18-200mm Interchangeable Lens Full HD Camcorder
Sony NEX-VG20EH 18-200mm Interchangeable Lens Full HD Camcorder

3.0 out of 5 stars Sadly, not for me, 5 Feb. 2013
This camcorder is ideally suited for use by a professional; by that I mean someone who has had much experience and thrives on manual control of a video camera mounted on a tripod. For handheld use, this camera has some issues (for me anyway). Firstly, it's front heavy with the supplied lens and therefore badly balanced and causes hand ache within a few minutes. You really need to support the lens with your left hand also, and this can be a problem when operating the focus or zoom rings on the lens, or the exposure mode dial, because these movements will introduce camera shake. Hence, the absolute need for a tripod for manual control of this camera.
As I do most of my videoing handheld, I did some thorough testing of the camera set to fully automatic mode. Again, two hands are needed to support the camera, which shouldn't be a problem when using fully automatic mode. But, the camera had difficulty in focusing....it shifted quite badly and couldn't make up it's mind what part of the frame to focus on. Switching to manual focus was the only option, which as I mentioned already, is very difficult to control handheld.
I also had issues with shooting 50p. Previously, all my cameras captured interlaced footage, so I was excited at the prospect of shooting progressive footage. The footage was disappointing. Panning shots were jerky and unusable, which seemed to be the case for all speeds of panning and tilting the camera. Setting a higher shutter speed helped a bit, but still nowhere as smooth as interlaced footage. The same jerkiness is seen in objects moving across the frame (e.g. a bird flying; a car; people running etc.) You really need to track moving objects to reduce the jerky effect.
I also found the locations of controls and buttons a bit awkward. For example, the photo button can accidentally be pressed as it lies under your left hand; the LCD screen must be opened to access other buttons which should really be on the body of the camera; the manual and focus buttons are flush with the camera body and quite small, therefore difficult to operate blind (by that, I mean being able to locate them without having to take your eyes away from the view finder).
I desperately wanted this camera to work for me, because there's no doubt it's a quality product and with patience, you can achieve stunning footage (easily done shooting interlaced). Low light is the best I have ever seen, and with interchangeable lenses and excellent sound from the built-in mic, this should be everyone's first choice of professional kit at an affordable price.
I should conclude by saying the main issue for me was weight and balance, making handheld operation very difficult. I am sure if I persevered, I could have improved the 50p technique of filming and probably would have got used to the quirky controls layout in time, but sadly, I returned the camera and as always, Amazon were extremely helpful and are arranging a refund (they get 5 stars!!!)
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 2, 2013 2:30 PM GMT

The Human Body [DVD]
The Human Body [DVD]
Dvd ~ Robert Winston

4.0 out of 5 stars The Human Body...a well presented documentary, 15 Dec. 2012
This review is from: The Human Body [DVD] (DVD)
I love documentaries, but only if they tell a compelling story well. Robert Winston does just this in a series of programmes, beautifully crafted and narrated, all about us. If you want to know how your body and mind works, then this DVD set will not dissapoint. Highly recommended.

Harvest of Messerschmitts: The Chronicle of a Village at War, 1940
Harvest of Messerschmitts: The Chronicle of a Village at War, 1940
by Dennis Knight

2.0 out of 5 stars Harvest of Messerschmitts failed, 15 Dec. 2012
I basically bought this book because my grandfather and his family (including my Mum) were living in and around Elham during WW2. Now, if you like reading daily weather reports (e.g. it was sunny today with a light breeze etc.etc.) and about men tumbling to their deaths, there is little else in this book. It's a brave attempt to collect pieces of village life and make them sound interesting....a difficult task even with no war.
It's a shame that the people of the village had little or no "voice" in the production of this book. All in all, it soon became quite tedious. However, it might mean more to readers who lived or still live in Elham, but to outsiders, there is little of interest.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 9, 2013 12:21 PM BST

Mungo The Cameraman: Adventure, Celebrity and Extreme Travel as Seen from Behind the Lens
by Paul Mungeam

1.0 out of 5 stars Mungo the boring man, 15 Dec. 2012
He may be a good cameraman (I really don't know), but the writing leaves a lot to be desired. OK, I know he is not an author, and in fairness, he did at least try to describe his experiences....BUT, does anyone really want to read about farting and giggling?
Stick with your filming Mungo and leave writing to those who can.

Epson MultiPack Ink Cartridge for Stylus PH R265/R360 - 6 Colour Ink
Epson MultiPack Ink Cartridge for Stylus PH R265/R360 - 6 Colour Ink

4.0 out of 5 stars Good on price, but with reservations, 19 Nov. 2010
When seen advertised, you assume these are original cartridges, especially with the picture of the humming bird on the box. When you receive them, they don't arrive as a boxed set (as you would expect from the advert), but the 6 cartridges are vacuum packed in sets of 3 to a bag.
However, the print quality is what you'd expect, but I am aware that these cartridges do not last as long as those I have used from a boxed set (and about £20 more expensive). So I am left wondering whether these are original cartridges that have been refilled. Even so, it still works out cheaper from this supplier and they are noticebly better than other clone cartridges on the market.

ABC6 Accounts Software
ABC6 Accounts Software

5.0 out of 5 stars DAI (London), 4 July 2010
This review is from: ABC6 Accounts Software (CD-ROM)
As a computer consultant/programmer, I either write a programme for a client or find one already written which will meet the client's requirements. When ABC first appeared way back in 1987, I evaluated the application and was immediately amazed at how much it could do, and even more amazed that I understood how to use the many functions within a couple of hours of loading it up on my PC.
I had no hesitation in recommending this product to clients who were looking for an accounting package that could be understood and used by end users, and have never looked back (certainly, there was no point in me writing accounting software). ABC has met the demands of small to medium businesses (although it can handle bigger organisations with no problems), from dental practices to book shops to building contracters. This is a truly intuitive and versatile piece of software.
Now that ABC6 (the Windows version) has arrived, I am delighted to see the intuitive userface is still there, and furthermore, the quality of support you get from ABC is unrivalled in my opinion.
The only down side is that I am now retired, so I will no longer see the pleasure and satisfaction clients experience when they start using ABC as their accounting software.
My congratulations to ABC for launching ABC6.

LG BE08LU20 AUAE00B 8x External 8x BDRW Kit eSATA and USB
LG BE08LU20 AUAE00B 8x External 8x BDRW Kit eSATA and USB

5.0 out of 5 stars LG BE08LU20 External Bluray burner/player, 15 Jun. 2010
This is a brilliant piece of kit and I have had no problems in burning bluray videos with stunning results. It operates very quietly and was very easy to connect up to my PC. I would recommend this unit to anybody.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5