Profile for K. Young > Reviews

Ex-Pro Notebook / Laptop Support Arm
Offered by ExpressPro
Price: 45.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Neat Product, 11 Oct 2010
I bought one of these to use in my music studio. I have a 49-key Oxygen keyboard that used to stand end up on the floor and get in the way all the time. So, I bought one of these and attached the music keyboard to the laptop shelf. The music keyboard is, obviously, much wider than the shelf, so I used the supplied velcro pads which are easily strong enough for my "light" touch. If you have a heavy touch, you might need to attach it more solidly. I removed the integrated keyboard shelf that comes with the product as it does nothing for me. Now, when I need to use the music keyboard, I just pull it towards me and it sits just to the left and slightly above my computer keyboard allowing me to use both. When I am done, I just push the music keyboard out of the way giving me space to work with the computer. Really neat.

I am not sure why 18% of people who viewed this item chose the Lindy version. I am pretty sure they are identical in design.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 1, 2010 6:52 PM GMT

Netgear FS105 Prosafe 5 Port Fast Ethernet Unmanaged Switch
Netgear FS105 Prosafe 5 Port Fast Ethernet Unmanaged Switch
Price: 18.22

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin., 6 Aug 2010
Title says it all. I have used routers, switches, hubs etc. professionally for years and, for small scale applications (e.g. home network or small business), Netgear are very good. The packaging is robust enough that you can tread on it and do it no harm. They run for months without needing reset. Since this one is a switch, you just plug it in (no configuration) and away you go. It will last for years. The only downside with this product is that it is limited to 100Mb, which is OK for a small network but if you think you need to go faster then you will need to look elsewhere.

Sony Bravia KDL40EX503U 40-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p 100Hz LCD Internet TV with Freeview HD (discontinued by manufacturer)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great TV, 6 Aug 2010
When you get it set up right, it's a great TV. That said, thereare a few points worth making even if they are not faults in the product.

Firstly, if you are going from a 4:3 CRT to this product, make sure you set all your input devices (e.g. freeview box, VCR, DVD, BluRay, etc) to output to widescreen or 16:9 because otherwise Smart mode will do its best with a 4:3 picture, but you will get tons of nasty stretch effects.

Secondly, because its a big TV you tend to be more conscious of mpeg artifacts that occur within the video production process whether that be from live video cameras, video production or, most commonly, introduced during distribution e.g from the internet or via cable or freeview. There is not much you can do about that. As bandwidths increase the problem should lessen over time.

Finally, Internet TV is weak at the moment. There's not much content. Most of it is Pay-Per-View, advertising or specialist stuff geared to the US market. This will improve when Sony and BBC get their acts together on iPlayer, but we are all still waiting on that (assuming the government doesn't slash funding for BBC internet projects). Same with HD content on FreeView. If you are using cable you may need an upgrade to watch HD content.

Now onto the product. I attached the base on my own. I found it tough balancing the TV, the base, a screw and a screwdriver at the same time, so try to get someone to help you when you do this.

The default colours are a bit too red/warm for my taste, but you can adjust it.

I have never much liked the XMB (cross media bar) interface. Its OK, but a bit disorganised. Having vertical columns representing inputs or settings is OK, but they have now introduced new vertical bars for media types (image, move, sound) which means the same inputs can appear on different bars, but haven't added a vertical bar for network inputs, so the underlying model of the interface is mucked up. Poor interface design causes confusion. Fortunately, humans are intelligent and adapt.

There is no clear explanation of the interaction of the scene buttons and the per-input display and audio settings, so it is a bit of trial and error. Again we adapt, in my case by leaving it alone.

The Home button on the remote is too close to the down button. This sounds picky, but when you are making you fifth attempt at adjusting something only to accidentally hit the home button again, it's frustrating.

Because of this, I'll give it a four out of five, but I mean more 4.8 out of 5 rather than 4.1.

UPDATE: BBC iPlayer now works. The TV automagically updated its sofware (I have it always connected to the internet). It's currently a Beta version. The menus are a bit slow, but it's very good all the same.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 16, 2011 12:47 PM BST