Profile for Mike W8 > Reviews

Content by Mike W8

Mike W8 "Catchingsam" (East Anglia, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
Cable ties 29 mixed pack
Cable ties 29 mixed pack

5.0 out of 5 stars Velcro Cable Ties, 6 Jan. 2013
They arrived in good time and were exactly what I wanted for tidying up my masses of cables. I had used the plastic ones where you insert one end into a locking hole but found it fiddly releasing the tie. These velcro ties are easier to use. One can only wait to see how they will last over a period of constant use. I expect them to be fine.

Targus 3-Button USB Optical Mouse Wired
Targus 3-Button USB Optical Mouse Wired

5.0 out of 5 stars Targus 3-button USB Mouse, Wired., 6 Jan. 2013
I wanted a small mouse to use as a back-up when my battery operated mouse for the IMac failed and I did not have time to find fresh batteries. I just plugged this in and it works just as a Mouse should; fits well into my hand and I am very pleased with it.

Cable Matters iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch Dock to HDMI Adapter with Built-in USB Charging Cable

5.0 out of 5 stars Connecting Ipad to Television Cable with charging facility., 6 Jan. 2013
It does exactly as advertised. The connection to the Ipad was made, my HDMI cable was connected to the device and the television, charging cable connected and it allowed the film on my Ipad to play in HD on my television. What more can one say, excellent piece of equipment.

The Analysis of Owl Pellets (Mammal Society Occasional Publications)
The Analysis of Owl Pellets (Mammal Society Occasional Publications)
by D.W. Yalden

5.0 out of 5 stars The Analysis of Owl Pellets, 6 Jan. 2013
When dissecting Owl pellets with a Wild Life Watch Group and the children require guidance and identification, this is the best and most useful compact book I have come across. The illustrations are excellent. I can highly recommend this to anyone who has to teach about or dissect Owl pellets .

Elfhunter: A Tale Of Alterra, The World That Is (Tales of Alterra, the World that Is. Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Elfhunter: A Tale of Alterra by C S Marks, 25 Nov. 2012
I purchased this as I do like the odd bit of 'fantasy' reading. Once I had started to get into the story I could hardly put the book down. It has elves, but there are different types of elves, forest and mountain, man, gnomes (or were they dwarves) many nasty type creatures and, of course, the ultimate evil creature; basically about good versus evil, but who is winning. I did not realise until I was reaching the end of the book that it was not going to end; it is part of a trilogy. Very well written. The next 2 books being Fire-Heart and Ravenshade.

Overall I thoroughly enjoyed this first book and am finding difficult to find the next one at the right price. I did go to the public library and the area in which I live they are just ordering the first book. I have seen some amazing prices for the next book - over $100, so I am just waiting for when Amazon has it for Kindle.

Epson EH-TW3200 3LCD Projector (25000:1, 1800 ANSI Lumens, Full HD 1080p)
Epson EH-TW3200 3LCD Projector (25000:1, 1800 ANSI Lumens, Full HD 1080p)

5.0 out of 5 stars Epson EH-TW3200 3LCD Projector, 25 Nov. 2012
This was purchased for a camera club where, within out budget, we could have a first class projector displaying our photographs in HD and excellent colour. It has lived up to our expectations in every way. Without going into detail, we would highly recommend this projector to clubs and individuals who can afford it. The only downside we have come across so far is that it is on the large and heavy side, but for the results we an live with that.

Pentax 8.5x21 Close Focus Papilio Binoculars
Pentax 8.5x21 Close Focus Papilio Binoculars

5.0 out of 5 stars Pentax 8.5x21 Close Focus Papilio Binoculars, 24 Nov. 2012
Just what I wanted as I wish to view flowers and insects in detail and these allow me to do that without attempting to use a magnifying glass or loupe. Well worth the money, excellent performance and quite compact. Highly recommended.

Transcend 16GB MicroSD/SDHC Card
Transcend 16GB MicroSD/SDHC Card

5.0 out of 5 stars Transcend 16GB MicroSD/SDHC Card, 24 Nov. 2012
Arrived in time with suitable packaging. What can one say - it was a very good price; it works and only time will tell how long it lasts and performs.

Samsung S24B300HL 23.6 inch Widescreen LED Monitor - Gloss Black (1920 x 1080 Full HD, 5ms, HDMI/VGA)

2.0 out of 5 stars Samsung S24B300HL 23.6 inch Widescreen LED Monitor, 24 Nov. 2012
Arrived in good time and well packaged. However, it would appear that this monitor comes in three versions as far as interconnections are concerned. Ignoring the power connection, you can have, in accordance with the connection instructions: 1. D-Sub(or better known as Serial or RS-232).
2. HDMI and D-Sub (this is what I received).
3. HDMI and DVI (the version I would have liked or expected).
My PC does not have HDMI, but has DVI and RS-232. Using the RS-232 cable I connected to my PC and switched on. Result no picture, but a floating analogue icon and a floating HDMI icon (saying check cable). I tried using an other new RS-232 cable with the same results. Amongst the instructions it did mention an HDMI/DVI cable, but it appeared that this was an extra. I contacted Amazon via e-mail and had a quick return saying that my e-mail was being attended to. After a couple of days I rang Amazon, but for some reason the line was so bad that we could hardly carry out meaningful conversation. Amazon rang me back, but the line was the same. I had been suggesting that they send me an HDMI/DVi cable to test the monitor which, if satisfactory, I would then keep the monitor.
This seems to have been ignored. The latest e-mail dated 17 Nov stated that colleague 'ukwv9lque' would be in contact on 27 November. I consider that this is taking too long as I am without a working monitor. If I had known that it was going to take so long I would have returned the monitor the day after it arrived on 8 November and given up on Amazon or ordered another monitor.

Within the descriptions of monitors I consider it essential that details concerning height and tilt adjustment is included. It is pointless receiving a monitor and then finding out that it has neither and having to send it back. I have never owned a monitor without at least tilt adjustment.

I have just borrowed another PC with HDMI connections and using the HDMI TO HDMI cable the monitor works perfectly with an excellent picture. Re-connecting with a Series to Series cable back to square one, no picture just a couple of floating icons. (25 Nov 12)
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 7, 2013 10:38 AM GMT

iiyama X2377HDS ProLite 23 inch Full HD LCD Monitor with LED Backlight (1920 x1080, 1000:1, 5ms, 250cd/m2)

3.0 out of 5 stars ILyama X2377HDS Prolite 23 inch Full HD Monitor, 24 Nov. 2012
Arrived on schedule and well packed. However, the monitor did not meet my expectations. It had no tilt or height adjustment and I expect at the very least some tilt adjustment. The stand and connecting piece of plastic I thought was very flimsy and did not fill me with confidence that it would last very long, especially when I would have to have it propped up to allow for the amount of tilt I required. I returned it.
The return operation via Amazon was of a good standard, but when I spoke to the returns delivery/collection firm, they would only accept a whole day being available for collection. I attempted to give them a half day -1230 - 1800 hours but this was not acceptable.

I do think that the description for all monitors should include what tilt and height adjustment there is if any.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10