Profile for Andy Graham, Truro > Reviews

A Thousand Splendid Suns
A Thousand Splendid Suns
by Khaled Hosseini

5.0 out of 5 stars A very interesting and moving novel., 7 Aug 2014
I owned this book for a very long time before I read it, not believing that it could possibly live up to The Kit Runner. But I believe it is actually better, which is some praise. Extremely intense and moving.

Forrest Gump [DVD] [2005]
Forrest Gump [DVD] [2005]
Dvd ~ Tom Hanks

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally outstanding, 7 Aug 2014
This review is from: Forrest Gump [DVD] [2005] (DVD)
Surely one of the sweetest, most intelligent 'feel-good' movies ever made. Gives me hope, that everything really can work out in the end - though I found the conclusion re. Jenny very moving.

Jean De Florette / Manon Des Sources Double Pack [DVD] [1986]
Jean De Florette / Manon Des Sources Double Pack [DVD] [1986]
Dvd ~ Yves Montand

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb achievements, 7 Aug 2014
One or two changes from the books, but really: the broad sweep of these film versions of two such excellent novels could hardly be bettered.

A Curious Thing
A Curious Thing

4.0 out of 5 stars Cool lady, 7 Aug 2014
This review is from: A Curious Thing (Audio CD)
I like Amy, what I have seen and heard of her. I listen to this album as if it was made by one of my children, kinda proud. It's not entirely my thing (I'm into the soft stuff Agnes Obel comes out with right now), but I think it's good nevertheless, with thought and passion beneath the beat.

Another Earth [DVD]
Another Earth [DVD]
Dvd ~ William Mapother
Offered by Leisurezone

5.0 out of 5 stars Memorable, 22 July 2014
This review is from: Another Earth [DVD] (DVD)
I thought this film extremely well done and for all the sci-fi element, both engrossing and credible. And at the very, very end, for me pure electricity. I guess the film which compares is Dark Star, with the ideas and writing (and acting) being far more important than any special effects (which in both films are rudimentary).

The Fault in Our Stars
The Fault in Our Stars
by John Green

4.0 out of 5 stars This book didn't move me anywhere near the way Oscar ..., 22 July 2014
This review is from: The Fault in Our Stars (Paperback)
This book didn't move me anywhere near the way Oscar and the Lady in Pink did. That's not to say that The Fault in Our Stars isn't well written - and worth reading.

Lemon Tree (2008) [DVD]
Lemon Tree (2008) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Hiam Abbass

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, insightful and moving, 22 July 2014
This review is from: Lemon Tree (2008) [DVD] (DVD)
As the slaughter of the innocents goes on apace in Gaza, this is a great film to watch in order to acquire a little more insight into how the state of Israel regards Palestinians. Sure, there are two sides to the story of the Jewish nation fighting for the its existence, but the Palestinian side of the struggle in that region is just as relevant as that concerning the holocaust.

Amelie [DVD] [2001]
Amelie [DVD] [2001]
Dvd ~ Audrey Tautou

5.0 out of 5 stars Exquisite, 26 May 2014
This review is from: Amelie [DVD] [2001] (DVD)
So, so beautifully funny and, ultimately, romantic. Audrey Tautou will never be forgotten for the role she plays in this film.

The Miracle Of Castel Di Sangro
The Miracle Of Castel Di Sangro
by Joe McGinniss

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 26 May 2014
I'm not sure if you really need to be a football fan to read this, though I guess it would help. What a story, at first very funny but darker and darker as it goes on, as I recall. Especially the description of Castel di Sangro's match in a lightning storm in Genoa is unforgettable.

The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared
The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared
by Jonas Jonasson

5.0 out of 5 stars Desperately Funny, 26 May 2014
One of the most entertaining, warm novels I ever, ever read. Totally brilliant feel-good creation by Mr Jonas Jonasson. Never underestimate old men, especially in the presence of elephants..

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5