ARRAY(0xab1c3360)

Lucian Freud: Painting People
Lucian Freud: Painting People
by Martin Gayford
Price: 7.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Poorly written but excellent selection of illustrations with high quality reproduction, which was most important, 28 Dec 2013
I'm a great admirer of Freud's work. I admire his 'Walts and All' approach and the way he gets inside his subjects. From the modern contemporary artists, for portraiture he, with Jonathan Yeo, are the two I most admire and whose works I study and compare.
I regret the book was not in a larger format giving greater opportunity to appreciate the illustrations.

Great Works: 50 Paintings Explored
Great Works: 50 Paintings Explored
by Tom Lubbock
Price: 20.00

5.0 out of 5 stars TOM LUBBOCK A TRAGIC LOSS TO THE WORLD OF ART, 7 Sep 2013
A book for all seasons. I read it in one go but then as an artist and author I'm probably biased. But Tom was good; no he was the best art critic/reviewer it has been my privilege to read. His perception and interpretation is a lesson to us all. Couple this with gentle humour, a gift for finding the right word or phrase to guide you through the magic of so many paintings that, all of us at some time or the other, have stood in front of with unseeing eyes was unique.

If you go to look at any of the works covered by tis masterpiece then take the book with you. It really will open your eyes.

Tom is irreplaceable

Painting as a Pastime
Painting as a Pastime
by Sir Winston S. Churchill
Price: 6.39

4.0 out of 5 stars A LITTLE GEM, 7 Sep 2013
This review is from: Painting as a Pastime (Hardcover)
To read his English is a joy. Few of our present authors have the skill of 'Less words mean more' and yet it flows seamlessly. As an artist I have been where he has been and know the joy of painting , the relaxation it brings and the deep satisfaction of getting it (Well) nearly right - But just wait 'til the next one.
A must read for any budding artist; anyone who enjoys good English produced by a Master wordsmith.

ECCO Shoes Men's Helsinki Slip Black Shoe 05013400101, 43EU
ECCO Shoes Men's Helsinki Slip Black Shoe 05013400101, 43EU
Offered by ECCO Shoes UK
Price: 100.00

4.0 out of 5 stars PUTS A SPRING IN YOUR STEP., 7 May 2013
These are a fine all weather walking shoe with excellent undersole cushioning. A little heavier looking and clumpier than I would have liked. I expected a finer lighter shoe but they are comfortable to wear for shorter walks. the test will come when I tramp around London in a couple of weeks on one of my rare visits to the UK hitting the galleries and museums.
I would not be surprised if I finish up in the ECCO shop in the Strand to seek a lighter pair whilst I am over.

The Concise Concordance to the New Revised Standard Version
The Concise Concordance to the New Revised Standard Version
by John R. Kohlenberger III
Price: 11.31

3.0 out of 5 stars Too Concise, 7 May 2013
I am disappointed. It is not as wide ranging as I hoped. It is a bit like the Curate's Egg. I am not as comfortable with it as a full Concordance. I bought it in the absence of a full version for the NRSV Bible. If one ever becomes available I will buy it and pass this one on.

Faith in the Public Square
Faith in the Public Square
by Rowan Williams
Price: 15.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive Expositions of all aspects of Christianity In Today's World, 2 April 2013
Rowan Williams takes the questions that trouble the people today in these universal exacting times and applies to them the Christian viewpoint and values. He tackles the problems to social order - or, if you like disorder, the secularism in its varied forms. It is a carefully thought through reply to these problems beginnig from the simple first beliefs in God and the Creation and leads on from there.

It is a book that challenges preconceptions.

It is a book for the inquiring mind lost and seeking some solutions to unanswered questions & half spoken beliefs.

Built up through a series of individual chapters; each can be read as a stand alone piece of writing on the issues of today whether they be economics, multiracial societies or the place and need of the Church's influence in government today.

This is the best book of its kind and a necessary document in our time.

In the short time I have possessed it this book has opened my eyes to many aspects of the role of the church and its importance to our daily lives at all levels of the community.