Profile for Paola Bassanese Energya > Reviews

Content by Paola Bassanes...

Paola Bassanese Energya "Author, Keep Calm and Pay off Your Debts available on Amazon" (London UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Rock Stars Stole My Life!: A Big Bad Love Affair With Music
Rock Stars Stole My Life!: A Big Bad Love Affair With Music
by Mark Ellen
Price: 17.47

5.0 out of 5 stars Barbecuing Dinosaurs and Meeting Your Music Idols, 22 July 2014
Barbecuing dinosaurs is an expression Mark Ellen uses in his book to describe moving away from old fashioned music and embracing new music. As a teenager in the Seventies, for young Mark it was all about prog rock and barbecuing (and later, playing clay pigeon shooting with LPs) old fogeys’ music from the previous decade.

He fought all the hard battles so that we don’t have to: being punched by Elvis Costello, just to secure a backstage interview; flying around the world with Rhianna, again so we don’t have to endure that either. Thanks Mark!

He is the hero who gave us the real time BBC commentary to Live Aid in 1985: he was even there at the recording of the charity single Do They Know it’s Christmas, which secured Bob Geldof his KBE title for services to international social justice and peace.

Mark met my teenage music idols Duran Duran and rubbed shoulders with 80s big wigs (the term in used in both literal and figurative sense, since these pop acts had massive barnets).

I laughed at musicians’ big egos and commiserated poor Mark when he got the short straw interviewing massive divas and simply unpleasant, over-inflated rock stars.

If you are a music fan, this book is packed with great insider stories, but it’s also a love declaration to music.

Personally, I found I learned so much more about music and will make an effort to learn more about Seventies music, which I am not very familiar with.

Mark is a great wordsmith who has perfected his prose over thirty years of music journalism.

Dangled Carat
Dangled Carat
Price: 1.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Men are from Mars, women are from Venus, 20 July 2014
This review is from: Dangled Carat (Kindle Edition)
I need to come clean: I am a commitment-phobe so I sided up with Marc, the "anti-hero" of this story.

Although I don't really believe in marriage, I thought of giving this book a go because I participated in an interesting twitter chat with the author and she came across really well.

The dialogues are very good and Hilary is a great writer. Sometimes there was too much focus on the detail, and sometimes I felt there was too much narcissism, but who am I to judge? This book is well written and I admire Hilary for allowing her private life to be open to public scrutiny.

If you love romantic books you will love Dangled Carat (great title by the way!)

BEATRICE The Cadbury Heiress Who Gave Away Her Fortune
BEATRICE The Cadbury Heiress Who Gave Away Her Fortune
Price: 7.20

4.0 out of 5 stars Extremely well researched!, 30 May 2014
I am in awe of Fiona's patient and accurate research into the Cadbury family, what a mammoth task! I found it difficult to sympathise with Beatrice and Kees ("quixotic" indeed, as Fiona described him). I felt I learned so much about the Cadbury family and its ideals.

Wellbeing Workshop: Meditation - a beginner's guide
Wellbeing Workshop: Meditation - a beginner's guide
Price: 1.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A good starting point to learn meditation, 19 May 2014
Shelley Wilson is, like me, an author and holistic therapist. I felt drawn to her book because I am a fan of meditation and I had a nice twitter exchange with her on twitter. We are both members of the Rave Reviews Book Club.

Shelley's book is a brief and easy to read guide introducing meditation to the uninitiated. Her chatty style will appeal those who are not familiar with the subject.

This is a beginner's guide that is meant to travel with you everywhere in your pocket (or your Kindle/smartphone).

Learn the simple exercises and see your breathing become more relaxed and your anxiety levels lower.

Face Down Pillow 43 cm x 36 cm x 15 cm > 6.4 cm
Face Down Pillow 43 cm x 36 cm x 15 cm > 6.4 cm
Offered by Cosmetic Solutions Inc.
Price: 38.69

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent service and very comfy prone pillow, 12 April 2014
Having just received the prone pillow after only a few days from ordering I must say I am very impressed by the excellent service by Cosmetic Solutions.

The pillow is extremely comfortable and allows you to breathe while in prone position keeping your head and neck aligned.

Weightogogo: 66 days to make healthy eating a habit so you lose weight now and stay slim forever
Price: 6.89

5.0 out of 5 stars Forget diets, think yourself slim, 27 Mar 2014
Claire has an ability to talk to you and get through to you like a long term, loyal and supportive friend would do.

The combination of Claire's words on paper and in the recordings will reinforce your resolutions to be slim for life.

The key to success is to be consistent so keep following the programme for the full 66 days and then continue for the rest of your life.

I want to make this commitment. I started planning my meals straight away - I always thought at meal planning was boring but that was only my resistance talking.

I warmly recommend this book if you are serious about being slim for life.

One Shoe Tale
One Shoe Tale
Price: 3.10

4.0 out of 5 stars Iconoclastic Metropolitan Cinderella story, remixed, 23 Mar 2014
This review is from: One Shoe Tale (Kindle Edition)
Remember the Cinderella fairytale? Jeremy Green "remixed" it for a modern audience using modern language while retaining the historic context of imperial Budapest. It's an investigative story with a spicy twist.

I wish the book was set in Trieste, my home town - which gets a mention on page 77, so I can't complain!

An accomplished debut novel.

My Mad Fat Diary
My Mad Fat Diary
Price: 5.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Kudos for Rae, 22 Feb 2014
This review is from: My Mad Fat Diary (Kindle Edition)
Kudos for Rae Earl and her brilliant book about her struggles. I read both Teenage Diaries after watching the tv series. I have enjoyed both the books and tv adaptations for different reasons. In the books you can witness Rae's development as a woman, a writer and a member of society. She develops a social conscience and not just a social life after her stay in a mental hospital. Sensitive, witty and funny. The tv series adds another layer to the story by exploring the therapy that Rae has had to help her become more stable and deal with her issues. Kudos to script writer Tom Bidwell for treating such a sensitive topic with flair. A great book that demonstrates Rae's early potential as a writer. I started writing my diaries before I was a teenager but they are most definitely NOT worth publishing!

My Madder Fatter Diary
My Madder Fatter Diary
Price: 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars We are all Rae, 22 Feb 2014
In our heads, even as grown ups, we retain some of the insecurities of our teenage years. We may look well adjusted in society but may still have obsessive thoughts about ourselves and others. This book, fairly different from the TV series, is a message of hope not just for anyone who has experienced mental health issues, but also for anyone who has ever suffered from self-doubt. Life does tend to get better. Well done Rae. What an inspiring woman. Read. This. Book.

What If . . .
What If . . .
Price: 7.34

5.0 out of 5 stars we need to keep asking questions to feel alive, 10 Feb 2014
This review is from: What If . . . (Kindle Edition)
Asking questions to find the meaning of life is important to the human race. I really enjoyed this book, Shirley MacLaine is my all-time favourite actress and a lot of what she says makes sense to me. I may not agree with UFOs and other extraterrestrial theories but who cares? There is so much food for thought in here that this book is worth going over to ponder on our origins and evolutions.

What I liked the most about this book was discovering that MacLaine has decided to streamline her life, to live simply (hey, she has a hot tub but she has also worked hard for decades for it!) and to stop wanting more. This way she can appreciate the small things, feel grateful and enjoy her time with loved ones without feeling the pressure of appearances and the media circus. Her integrity and work ethics are admirable. You may or may not enjoy this book as much as I did, but if you are on a quest for meaning this book might open some lines of investigation.

Page: 1 | 2