Profile for R. Wilkie > Reviews

Content by R. Wilkie

R. Wilkie

Dr. Meter® Handheld MD-812 Digital Wood Moisture Content Meter with Lcd Display--5% to 40% (Excellent kit for anyone operating log burner/ wood-burning stove)
Offered by MBD Enterprise

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for all log burner users., 5 Oct 2013
Having recently installed a log burner and purchased a stack of logs I realised I needed a moisture meter to ensure the logs were properly seasoned before we burn them. Found this device on Amazon Marketplace and it appears to be excellent. Very easy to use and a useful feature that keeps the moisture reading on the screen so you can test a log and then look at the meter.

Also excellent quick delivery from the Amazon Marketplace vendor.

TomTom Rider v5 (Europe Maps, 4.3" Touchscreen)
TomTom Rider v5 (Europe Maps, 4.3" Touchscreen)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Sat Nav Convert, 5 Oct 2013
For years I have ridden with mates who use Garmin Sat Navs and have been frustrated at the amount of time we have been lost and they have sat by the side of the road trying to re-programme the damned electronics. On the contrary, I used a good old fashioned map and always got us to the destination with a little bit of forward planning. But then I saw the TomTom Rider and decided to put aside my principles and take the plunge - I had just been nominated lead navigator for a group ride (serves me right I guess).

What a brilliant piece of kit.

I've just come back from 9 days travelling round the Ardennes, Black Forest and the Alps. Routes were planned in advance on Tyre and loaded onto the unit and the thing just worked brilliantly. Sure you learn a few bits along the way like where to put your waypoints but the TomTom is so intuitive that it is dead easy. I've linked mine to a Sena headset and the voice instructions are excellent. I've also linked my phone to it and the ability to have calls come in on the sat nav so you can see who is calling and decide whether to answer is a real bonus.

Others have said how good the windy route feature is and I can only agree. One of the best rides we had was when we changed plans and left it up the TomTom to find us a 60 mile route.

Will I ditch the maps - absolutely not. Any sat nav is an aid to navigation only and should be treated that way. You still need to have an idea of where you're going. But this bit of kit makes it a whole load easier.

Now need to start planning the routes for next year's trips. The TomTom will definitely be part of it.

ebertSankey Premier Water Butt Stand in (Terricinna, 46 cm)
ebertSankey Premier Water Butt Stand in (Terricinna, 46 cm)

1.0 out of 5 stars Too small for the Sankey 300 Litre Butt, 12 Aug 2013
We purchased this as the correct stand for the 300 Litre Sankey Butt however, once installed we have found it is too small. Its almost impossible to get the Butt level and when full, the base of the butt flexes so badly we have to partially empty it so save the plastic from cracking. How they can sell this without checking such a fundamental issue is beyond me.

Pinnacle Dazzle Video Creator Platinum
Pinnacle Dazzle Video Creator Platinum
Offered by AOT (VAT registered)

1.0 out of 5 stars Please do not buy this - the worst software I have ever bought!, 15 Feb 2010
I've been using Studio 9 for ages and whilst not perfect, it does the job. So when I wanted to upload some old VCRs to DVD, I found the Dazzle product packaged with Studio 11 so thought I could kill two birds with one stone and get an update to Studio 11 and perhaps some new features. WHAT A MISTAKE.

Firstly I couldn't get a picture through the Dazzle at all and had a very tortuous session with the help people who recommended updating all my PC drivers. This ended in my PC Blue Screening every time I tried to start the Studio software. I eventually managed to get this sorted.

Then the Instant DVD Recorder software crashed every time I tried to prepare a DVD for burning. I've still not got that working.

Then I managed to create a video with menus. The menus don't work despite following all the tips on the Avid web site (and I am pretty computer literate) so I just dumped the menu.

Then I created a video with scene transitions and some of these just came up with a green screen on the TV, some froze and a couple worked.

Oh and when you raise these with Avid, you get an auto email back to you suggesting you upgrade to Studio 12 as this is better. Why the hell then is Studio 11 packaged with the Dazzle. (Oh and by the way, some of the nice features in Studio 9 are not in the base version of Studio 11 - you have to pay extra to activate these!)

So, I'm going back to Studio 9 now in the hope I can get some video editing done. Failing that, it is time to buy a Mac!