Profile for Cliff > Reviews

Content by Cliff

Cliff "Nikon Adikt" (England)

Page: 1 | 2
The Muvipix.com Guide to Sony Movie Studio Platinum 12: The tools, and how to use them, to make movies on your personal computer using Sony's amazing video editing program
by Steve Grisetti
Price: 15.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential companion to Movie Studio 12, 23 July 2013
Movie Studio 12 is a truly astonishing piece of software, high-end features / quality for small spend. This book is essential. No verbiage, it's a plain easy-peasy guide to getting the most from your still and D-Movie photography by creating awesome movies / slideshows.

Highly recommended, to get this best out of Movie Studio Platinum 12 in the shortest period of time.

Nikon DR-5 Right Angle Viewfinder
Nikon DR-5 Right Angle Viewfinder
Price: 199.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential D800 accesory?, 23 July 2013
For me yes. The only time it's not attached to the viewfinder is when I've a Speedlight attached, otherwise this DR-5 stays attached. I can bend my legs/ squat so that my D800 is a few centimetres above the ground, or I can set my tripod to hold the camera just above the ground. Thus, I'm able to get almost impossible to get dramatic shots. With my Nikkor 14-24mm f2.8 the results are spectacular.

Works flawlessly for portraiture as well.

Tad expensive, but it's Nikon quality. But once you start using, you'll probably not want to shot without it.

GGS III LCD Screen Protector glass for NIKON D800 D-SLR
GGS III LCD Screen Protector glass for NIKON D800 D-SLR
Offered by DeyardDirect
Price: 10.50

5.0 out of 5 stars A D800 essential., 23 July 2013
If you buy Nikon D800, purchase this at the same time, together with a spare battery. If you've a 'naked' D800, don't delay purchase this right now. Quality shatterproof glass to protect your D800's monitor and control panel.

Nikon Li-ion battery EN-EL15, VFB10702
Nikon Li-ion battery EN-EL15, VFB10702
Offered by Buy 4 Less
Price: 39.47

1.0 out of 5 stars Suspected Fake, 21 Jun 2013
I've never had a Nikon battery deplete so quickly as this one. I've used this in the (Nikon) battery grip of my D7000. It tends to be nearly drained after a day's shooting out in the Lake District (where I live.) I noticed that after say 10 outings, it tended to drain noticeably quicker, than when new. I initially put this down to shooting out in low winter temperatures.

By chance I checked the in-camera battery usage facilty, and it showed that this battery had gone from battery age of 0 to 3, where 4 is the number you bin your battery. This was done in approx. 12 outings.

By my rough calculation this makes this 'el cheepo' battery way more expensive that the real deal OEM Nikon.

I cannot recommended this as good value or good quality therefore.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 18, 2013 3:08 PM BST

Setting Up a Successful Photography Business: How to be a Professional Photographer (Setting Up Guides)
by Lisa Pritchard
Price: 9.09

5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable, 23 Mar 2013
I find myself dipping into this succinct guide. If you're thinking of setting yourself up, studying the logical structured content of this book will be of benefit.

Sanyo MQN04 HR-3UTGA Battery Pack
Sanyo MQN04 HR-3UTGA Battery Pack
Offered by iCell Media
Price: 12.10

5.0 out of 5 stars The pack to start using Sanyo eneloops, 23 Mar 2013
You don't have to think about this. Your a photographer, have a Speedlight, want to start using / experiencing the benefits of using eneloop batteries. Start with this pack, includes the (UK standard 3-pin) charger. When you've convinced yourself they are for you, then you can purchase as many 2500 mAh capacity 'loops as you require, and be able to charge them with this charger.

No Title Available

3.0 out of 5 stars Not recommended for outdoor tripod use, 23 Mar 2013
This is a value for money proposition, if you walk around with your camera hanging from a neck strap, with this grip attached to camera. It will probably be fine to mount your camera, with this grip, attached to tripod that will not be moved around much.

I walk many kilometres in the Lakes doing landscape photography. My modus operandi is to attach camera, plus grip to the ball-head on my tripod. I also kit-up with a heavy Bellingham camera bag. The tripod plus camera a carried either cradled in my arms to the front of me, or shouldered rifle fashion for walking between captures. This walking can be a few short metres, a 100 metres or even more. It's too much of a schlep to take the camera off the tripod hang it around my neck, walk on, reattach then compose.

Under those conditions, the grip was definitely the weak link. Something bending of the terminal contacts on the grip ensued. The grip then drains the battery, whether the camera is in on/off or standby. Constantly have to recharge and never able to achieve the number of shots I got, before the problem manifested itself.

Also, think that this contributed to a rapid aging of the battery in it. Went from 0 to 3 pretty rapidly (page 242 of your D7000 manual.)

No matter how well you think it's attached to the camera, you will be able to see daylight between the camera body and the grip. The result is 'waggle' which in turn leads weakening of terminal contacts.

It's made of plastic.

Upside it it's cheep and looks the part on the camera. For light use there should be no problem. But it won't stand up to the rigours of outdoor use, as I've outlined.

I sent mine back, it was refunded with no qualms. Credit.

I ended up purchasing the Nikon grip for my D7000. Totally satisfied with it. Metal construction. Precision engineering. Walk all day up and down fells, around lakes with this attached my D7000 and both mounted on my Vanguard (heavy duty) tripod. Totally happy with the Nikon grip, not only looks good but feels way better in the hand.

Light use this is ok.

The English Lakes: North Western Area (OS Explorer Map Series): North Western Area (OS Explorer Map Series)
by Ordnance Survey
Edition: Map
Price: 5.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential companion to outdoor activities in the area covered, 23 Mar 2013
Indispensable for outdoor activities in the Lake District - I do landscape photography, live just 15mins drive from Ennerdale Water. The lakes in the Cocker Valley are a short drive away. This Explorer OS Map allows me to carefully survey locations, plan routes in order for me to capture the area. Loads of trails to explore. Whether local or a visitor to the area, this is an essential aide.

If you have little or no experience in map reading, then go to the OS site. They have an excellent guide to using OS maps. I was fortunate to have been taught at school this knowledge.

VANGUARD Alta Pro 263AB 100 Aluminium Tripod with SBH-100 Ball Head
VANGUARD Alta Pro 263AB 100 Aluminium Tripod with SBH-100 Ball Head
Price: 149.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Affordable quality, joy to use DSLR platform, 5 Oct 2012
Your expensive DSLR deserves a really good platform

Then Look at:-

Vanguard Alta Pro 263AGH Aluminum Tripod with GH-100 Pistol Grip Ball Head 2 (alternatively the VANGUARD Alta Pro 263AB 100 Aluminium Tripod with SBH-100 Ball Head)

With this tripod, you will achieve any angle you wish and if you really want it (especially useful with the reticulated screen on say a D5100) set your camera a few cms above the ground - great for high impact shots.

The moment I took the contents out of the box (VANGUARD Alta Pro 263AB 100 Aluminium Tripod with SBH-100 Ball Head) I knew, just knew, I'd made the right purchase. It oooozzes quality. It will last a long time. All the movements are there. With in a few seconds of fitting my D7000 (indoors) I was totally taken.

Took the short drive down to Ennerdale Water, (a local Lake District beauty spot) and put it to work. It was an absolutle joy to work with, partnering my Nikon D7000. High wind coming up the valley, but once my D7000 was fitted to the SBH-100 Ball Head I had a rock steady platform.

A plus, is that with the SBH-100 Ball Head you get 2 camera plates, So I took from my bag an old Fuji S200EXR and mounted it, extending to virtual 800mm focul length and took some shots with it. Was I impressed? Yes, very impressed. (With the camera plates you need to make sure you have some coins to screw them tight to the camera base. Once tightened, the camera will sit rock solid on the tripod quick release base plate.)

I think it's all anybody could wish for in a tripod. The SBH-100 Ball Head is simply a joy. If you do movies, then you can always purchase a dedicated pan/tilt head.

Also, the tripod is a TIPA award winner and now even the pistol grip has won an award. If you went with the big name brands you'd pay many extra bucks for this quality.

One other thing, I like the feel of the rubber sleeves at the top of the legs, they are a nice touch, this finishing touch let's the user know he/ she has a quality product and no corners have been cut.

Every thing (tripod with screwed-in ball heade,) fits in the bag that comes with. Plus the hook at the bottom of the central column is spring loaded. So you only need to carry around a few supermarket plastic carrier bags to hook onto this. Fill with some ballast and you'll have total stability.

It's over 2kgs but it's no real schlep for me to lug around the English Lake District National Park. It will provide a rock solid platform. Also with the Vanguard, you just have to decide which head you want with this model tripod - ball head or pistol grip.

Hope this helps.

GGS II LCD Optical Glass Screen Protector for Nikon D90
GGS II LCD Optical Glass Screen Protector for Nikon D90
Offered by Happy Sales UK
Price: 1.63

5.0 out of 5 stars Your first purchase after buying a Nikon D7000 - then the spare battery!, 9 Aug 2012
Purchased this to replace the Nikon screen protector that came with my D7000. This kit protects the rear and top panel.

Have now got greater clarity, protection and therefore ease of mind, for my rear screen and top control panel.

One of those products that just works.

If you have a D7000, don't think about it, just buy this product. You'll be pleased you did.

Page: 1 | 2