Profile for FassbenderFan > Reviews

Content by FassbenderFan

FassbenderFan

Cute Owl Cotton Tote Bag
Cute Owl Cotton Tote Bag
Offered by The Gift Oasis LTD.
Price: 5.94

5.0 out of 5 stars One tiny niggle, 19 Sep 2013
Ordered this as a gift for a friend who lives miles away and I wanted something easy to package up and that would not cost too much weight-wise to post. Also because of the picture on the front which I know would make her smile.

The bag arrived on time and in perfect condition. It is well made from a good quality cotton and with good stitching I would hope it lasts a long time.

The only niggle I have is that it was not packaged as I expected it to be from the website photographs. No eyes looking at me through the envelope window! This meant I had to iron out the folds, then re-fold the bag to package it as it should be. A small niggle which need not be a niggle at all if someone had done their job properly.

Monarch Of The Glen - Complete Series 1-7 Box Set [DVD] [2000]
Monarch Of The Glen - Complete Series 1-7 Box Set [DVD] [2000]
Dvd ~ Tom Baker
Price: 53.17

5.0 out of 5 stars Value For Money, 4 Sep 2013
The complete series plus the Hogmanay Special of 2003 and The Last Monarch documentary in a handsome box for 37.00, a bargain I'd say. The product arrived before the ETA given out by Amazon and was in perfect condition. Easy Sunday evening feel good television which I am watching at all hours of the day and if the storylines get a bit silly now and again, everything is beautifully shot and the fabulous scenery more than makes up for the eccentric antics of the characters.

That said, there are some classic one liners in the midst of all the goings on and it's worth paying attention to what the characters are saying. The series is very family friendly with no bad language and I would recommend it.

BDBikesTM Bicycle Magnetic Turbo Trainer - Variable Speed Exercise Bike
BDBikesTM Bicycle Magnetic Turbo Trainer - Variable Speed Exercise Bike
Offered by Black Dog Bikes
Price: 59.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says., 8 May 2013
Arrived late, but this was no fault of Black Dog Bikes who let me know of the delay and did everything they could to get the product to me as soon as possible.

The turbo trainer was easy to assemble and following instructions (easy to understand) my bike was fixed up to it. I have used the product now for over a year and my fitness and stamina has improved, so too has muscle tone. Would recommend.

Coppelia [DVD] [NTSC] [All Regions]
Coppelia [DVD] [NTSC] [All Regions]
Dvd ~ Carlos Acosta
Price: 24.76

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 8 May 2013
Arrived on time and in excellent condition. Played without a problem.

I was fortunate enough to see this performance at the Royal Opera House and enjoyed it very much. I had good seats but not the best and this DVD allows me to see things I missed. Coppelia is a light hearted ballet with a wonderful, well-known score and bright costumes, sure to catch the attention of a first time viewer and keep them interested. The story is easy to follow and the companion booklet gives further background information.

A must for fans of Carlos Acosta and Leanne Benjamin.

Crabtree & Evelyn Lovely Hands 25g Pack of 6
Crabtree & Evelyn Lovely Hands 25g Pack of 6

5.0 out of 5 stars Smart!, 8 May 2013
I purchased this as a 50th birthday gift for a friend. It arrived on time and in excellent condition. With the Amazon discount and free postage it became something I would not normally have been able to afford. A bit of luxury for a hard working wife and mum.

The recepient loved the selection of hand creams. She keeps one in her handbag and has the others around the house for use whenever they are needed. They are easily absorbed into the skin and leave no oily residue.

I would purchase again.

Bomb Cosmetics Sliced Soap Gift Set
Bomb Cosmetics Sliced Soap Gift Set
Offered by Aroma
Price: 11.45

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 27 Jan 2013
Purchased specifically as a Christmas gift, so I have not used them because I gave them to someone else. However the soaps were of an excellent size and attractively packaged. They arrived promptly and without damage. The recepient was delighted with them, but I almost wish I had kept the soaps for myself because they looked that good. I have no hesitation in recommending this product to others.

Neptune Giftware Soft Black Leather Credit Card Holder - Has 18 Credit Card Slots
Offered by Cygnet Gifts
Price: 2.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Sturdy, 5 Dec 2011
Bought as a Christmas present and so at time of writing, remain unused. However my examination of the two credit card holders purchased give me no cause for concern. Well made, with good stitching and secured with Velcro. Would keep all contents safe. Order dealt with efficiently and goods arrived promptly.

Update :-

The credit card holders are still going strong and the recepient of the gift remains very pleased with them. No wear and tear as yet and they have remained in constant use since Christmas 2011.

1 February 2013.

The Land of Painted Caves - Earth's Children Book 6
The Land of Painted Caves - Earth's Children Book 6
by Jean M. Auel
Price: 8.00

1.0 out of 5 stars How Not To Write a Novel, 15 Jun 2011
Like many others, I enjoy writing and for a while considered joining a creative writing course at my own expense. Then last year saw a television interview with Nobel Laureate Nadine Gordimer. To my great interest, she advocated doing no such thing, but rather to join a library instead and read as many books as you possibly could, for as long as you could and by as many different authors as possible. Only then, would you have a true appreciation for the written word and understand how it could be used to tell a story and elicit a myriad of emotions from the reader.

Should the esteemed Ms Gordimer ever read The Land of The Painted Caves, I believe she might agree with me that it is a very good example of how not to write a novel. As others have said before, the plot is thin, there is far too much repetition from earlier books and the greatest crime of all is that the central characters of Ayla and Jondalar are not true to those you read about in previous books. To be honest, neither have ever enthralled me. I found Ayla too perfect, beautiful and clever and Jondalar well, something of a whinger but that's just my opinion. Secondary characters were always far more interesting and I grew very fond of Creb, Iza, Brun, Talut, Nezzie, Rydag, Deegie and so on. Even characters such as Broud and Frebec who were not to my taste, provided an element of conflict in which the personalities of Ayla and Jondalar could grow and develop.

In common with Topsy, the series of books known as Earths' Children has grown bigger. Jean M Auel is famous for saying she wrote The Clan of The Cave Bear as a book that she would like to read. This is a sentiment I fully understand, but sadly, somewhere along the last thirty years it seems Ms Auel has forgotten that she developed a worldwide, faithful readership eager to know how this extraordinary series of books would end. Either that or she is arrogant enough to completely disregard this fact and continue to write to please herself only.

Quite what Ms Auel's publisher and editor have been doing these last years is a mystery to me. They certainly do not appear to have had any input into this book at all. Perhaps they were so relieved to know the series was near completion, they published it sight unseen. This is a shame and I do wonder what the Auel readership might have enjoyed had someone gone through an original manuscript with a red pencil and a list of improvements. Their lack of contribution means this book has no integrity and very simply became a source of income for Ms Auel, who surely with reprints of her five earlier books does not need the money?

I await the appearance of this novel on the Fan Fiction website where someone, hopefully one day soon, will download the novel The Land of The Painted Caves could have been. They will cut out the repetitions of tea making, flint knapping, the endless caves, Ayla's accent and the relentless introductions and embellish the scenarios of the falling stone, Danug's journey and Ayla's relationship with her daughter.

Other areas need improvement too and they would be the sections I skipped in an attempt to reach the bones of the story, but failed to find. The revelation at the end of the novel is easy to determine before you get there and alluded to by Ayla's thought process in a previous book.

If only Jean Auel had acknowledged to herself and to her publishers that she needed help The Land of The Painted Caves might have been a fitting conclusion to a dramatic series of books and a lifetime's work. Instead, she failed to do this and let everyone down in the process, including her central characters.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 21, 2011 10:58 PM BST

Centurion [DVD]
Centurion [DVD]
Dvd ~ Michael Fassbender
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 4.92

5.0 out of 5 stars A Very Good Movie, 13 Sep 2010
This review is from: Centurion [DVD] (DVD)
Gladiator on a budget? Well some may say so, but I preferred this film because of its intimate feel and human elements. I won't give too much away about the plot, it's easy to find that out from other internet websites.

Did I enjoy the film? Very much so and also appreciated that in the extras, were the deleted scenes from the film. I do not understand why these scenes were deleted, but feel the film would definitely have benefited from their inclusion. I do wonder, in light of the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan, that the scenes were removed because someone deemed them too politically sensitive. Yet when you see them, you ask yourself if anything has changed over the millennia for ordinary fighting man who goes to war to satisfy the political ambitions of his elected representatives.

Centurion is an extremely atmospheric movie shot on location in Scotland with a fine cast which should have received more publicity than it did. I wanted to see it at my local cinema, but they were too busy screening the big budget, mainstream films. Pity really, Neil Marshall has given us a cracking chase film in Centurion and it deserved greater recognition.