Profile for Martin Schöön > Reviews

Martin Schöön (Sweden)

Notes on Book Design
Notes on Book Design
by Derek Birdsall

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful and inspirational but not a textbook on book design, 7 Jan 2013
This review is from: Notes on Book Design (Hardcover)
This book is about designing illustated books and book covers. It is a beautiful book in fairly large format. If you are looking for inspiration this is for you -- lots of examples covering a wide range of book subjects.

If you are looking for a text book on the subject it may not be for you.

The typeface choosen for most of the text looks better than it reads and Birdsall does even comment on it himself. This is no serious drawback as the ammount of text to read through is limited.

Probabilities: The Little Numbers That Rule Our Lives
Probabilities: The Little Numbers That Rule Our Lives
by Peter Olofsson

5.0 out of 5 stars Math is fun, 5 Feb 2009
This is an entertaining book but Peter Olofsson also makes you think. You may even have to think quite hard at times. You are not forced to 'participate' in the heavy going. You are always given the option to skip those paragraphs since they are not needed to understand the rest of the book.

Peter Olofsson is quite good at explaining this branch of mathematics and good real life and not so real life examples are used to good effect. As a bonus you get to know a bit about Sweden.

Probabilities is not an university text book, it is written for a wider audience.

DIY: Design it Yourself (Design Handbooks)
DIY: Design it Yourself (Design Handbooks)
by Ellen Lupton

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring, 5 Feb 2009
The title of my review says it all really. I bought my own copy some years ago and I go back to it every so often, for fun and inspiration. I bought another copy in December and gave it to one of my sisters who was instantly absorbed by it. D.I.Y. is for anyone interested in design, for anyone looking for inspiration for making gift wrappings, presentations, invitations... D.I.Y. is not a text book for people actually studying design.