Profile for Winko > Reviews

Content by Winko

Winko

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
BDM Garmin Forerunner Compatible Bicycle Mount Kit for Approach S1 , S3 ,FORERUNNER 110 , 210, 310 , 310XT ,405CX, 410 , 610 , 910 XT ,Foretrex 301 ,401, FR60 ,FR70 by BestDigitalMarket
Offered by Best Digital Market

4.0 out of 5 stars Be careful not to let the wife see it!, 3 April 2015
When this arrived in the post, The Devil's Disciple got quite excited. (In fact she was quivering so much, I thought she'd been playing with her customised Rabbit again.) Seems she thought I'd bought her something inspired by a book she's become fond of - a tome about various tones of grey I believe.
Anyway, I quickly disabused her of the notion that it was something for her, not least because it's neither her birthday or Christmas. (And why she should think I'd buy her anything as expensive as this is beyond me. She just isn't worth it!)
Anyway, having checked the drinks cupboard was locked, I fitted this mount onto my bike, strapped on the watch and headed out for a ride with friends, during which the mount worked perfectly. So, buy with confidence!

In the Morning I'll be Gone: Sean Duffy 3
In the Morning I'll be Gone: Sean Duffy 3

3.0 out of 5 stars Why won't the wife take the hint?, 3 April 2015
I bought this book for my wife - hoping that she'd take inspiration from the title and leave me a note (don't care where), utilising the same English. Unfortunately she hasn't yet fulfilled her side of this unspoken bargain, so I'm still suffering.
Hey ho. Undeterred, for her next birthday I'm going to buy her a book about visiting Beachy Head.....and hope she'll then be a push over...
Wish me luck!

Fox Men's Flux Helmet - Black Camouflage, Large/X-Large
Fox Men's Flux Helmet - Black Camouflage, Large/X-Large

5.0 out of 5 stars Big Head? Sorted!, 13 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Fox Men's Flux Helmet (Sports)
My son is lucky. He has inherited his looks (and hair) from his mother's side, with none of the mental instability presented on a daily basis by her and her mother, aka 'The Devil'.
From me he gets brains - and to keep them safe - a rather large head.
Now, possessed as he is with blond locks that has his female hair stylists in tears of envy, the only time he wears anything on his head is when Barrel Racing on a horse, and when out on his bicycle. This latter activity has led to the need for a new helmet and the discovery that a lot of supposedly large fit helmets on the market are anything but.
Luckily, my local bike shop is a Fox stockist and a visit there enabled us to confirm that the Fox Large/X-large does indeed cater for those of us with big bonces - and a purchase duly made.
Three hard mountain biking weekends later all I can say is that feedback is superb. Excellent fit and comfort. Great ventilation. Easy strap and headband adjustment. Quality finish and graphics. Lightweight.
A 10/10 purchase - so much so that I have bought the same helmet for myself from Amazon (hence this review) - where I intend using it when out biking, and at home when The Devil's Disciple next has a throwing things tantrum......

Mpow® Streambot Oval FM Transmitter Wireless radio car kit with Hands-free Calling, 3.5mm Audio Plug, Car Charger Adapter for Apple iPhone 6 6 Plus 5S 5 5C 4S 4, Samsung Galaxy S5 S4 S3, Samsung Galaxy Note 2, HTC One, Blackberry Q10, Sony smart phone, MP3, MP4, GPS
Offered by Patuoxun

5.0 out of 5 stars Mpow 10. TeckNet 4 - No contest!!, 12 Jan. 2015
Anyone who has stumbled across previous reviews written by me, will know that 22 years ago I was cursed to meet 'The Devil's Disciple'. We're still married, largely due to the fact that we have (until recently) lived nearly 1000 miles apart - her in France, me in the UK.
This situation has been most excellent, in so far as I've been able to lead a largely batchelor life - leaving TDD to raise our son and tend the house - whilst having the protection of being married when Mistresses start asking for commitment.
Unfortunately, a couple of months ago TDD decided she's like to come back to the UK, probably to enrage her mother so much she'll depart this mortal coil - which will leave an opening in the Pendle Hill Coven and make my Father-in-Law very happy.
Anyway, to get back to the review, all these changes have meant that increasingly I've been using TDD's car - which I lavishly equipped last year with a £10 TeckNet MT-096 transmitter, as the CD player had gone kaput.
Well, all I can say after a weeks use is it's really not very good - and certainly not good enough for me.
The connector that plugs into the phone has gone wobbly, leading to periods of mono playback and the device picks up when the phone 'shakes hands' with a new cell, and when going under power lines. Like the wife's family, extremely annoying.
So, having looked at the options I went for this Mpow Streambot transmitter - and I'm gobsmacked with the difference.
No interference. Great stereo playback. A doddle to install. And, with the jack-plug connector, I've been able to play music from both my Apple devices and an Android thingy - all to a very high standard.
Whilst accepting that what I lose is the device also charging my phone/iPod, there's a usb port on the cigar lighter power input that enables me to use a standard Apple cable - and quite frankly the security of connection and almost total lack of interference puts the Mpow head and shoulders above the TeckNet - you really shouldn't hesitate - there is no comparison.
Mpow 10. TeckNet 4.
Buy it!
P.S. There's an additional bonus. The Mpow is smaller and neater, so when I give TDD her car back I'm able to put the good transmitter in my pocket and leave her the TeckNet. No point in spoiling her.......

The Original Simply Electronics Universal Stick Anywhere Mobile Phone Car Windscreen / Dash Mount Cradle Mobile Phone Car Holder, Rotate & Lock to Windscreen - Fits all Mobile and Smartphones up to 8.5cm wide. Also works very well with your phone in its Protection Case
Offered by Hielec(Ship from China)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brain equipped? Brain dead?, 6 Dec. 2014
My wife and I live separate lives. I sleep in a bed. She (like her mother) prefers folding her wings and roosting upside down from the hallway rafters.
We have a son, but that happy occurrence was only made possible by me swiftly taking advantage of her suddenly swooning when unexpectedly exposed to daylight... and quite frankly, that's ok by me. Less risk of being bitten on the neck by those fangs....
Anyway, back to this review of a phone holder.
Frankly, in most instances, I can't stand them. This is because users fall into two camps. Brain equipped and brain dead.
Now, for us who have cerebal matter, device holders serve the simple purpose of holding an MP3/phone securely whilst travelling. We position it to the side of the windscreen, leaving the view ahead free and clear. This enables us to drive with due consideration...unless of course we're in a Volvo or Audi. (Am I alone in seeing BMW drivers suddenly rejoining the human race?)
However, we're becoming a minority.
I now often see a car with one, two or even three devices on the windscreen. I immediately think, 'sad b......'
Then, I appreciate that the proud owner of the car probably thinks that by having a device suspended so as to quadruple the chance of not seeing a cyclist / pedestrian / motorcyclist / me, is supposed to make onlookers think he/she/it is cool, or whatever the word is nowadays.
Frankly, I'd like to see Road Traffic Officers pull every twit with a stupidly positioned windscreen mounted device to the wayside, and 3+ points awarded.
Anyway. Back to this review.
1. Dirt cheap
2. Quick delivery.
3. Gobsmacked by the quality, packaging and spare mount cup.
4. Suction to die for.
5. Don't pay more.
Finally, after all of the above I have to come clean and say I didn't buy this for use in a car. The flexible mounting system was ideal for a notepad I stole from a hotel years ago, so I bought this gizmo to be able to leave notes in full view on the hall mirror for The Devil's Disciple (TDD), and it's worked a treat. Now, whenever she's scrabbling around for her pointed hat and broomstick, she doesn't miss the note suspended in full view. (She still looks in the mirror, even though there's no reflection....) An investment of under £2 has brought efficiency to our married life and for that I'm grateful, as is my Secretary.
Now, if those of us with brains can just find a way of making idiot drivers suffer like I have done since meeting TDD, we'll really be getting somewhere!

Desert God (The Egyptian Novels Series Book 5)
Desert God (The Egyptian Novels Series Book 5)

1.0 out of 5 stars Absolute garbage. Buy one of Wilbur's books from the time he cared about what he published...., 6 Dec. 2014
I'm a long time Wilbur Smith fan. Having to take annual breaks with 'The Devil's Disciple', I've always needed to have something interesting to occupy me in bed. A good book has always been a route to contentment, and in extreme circumstances, the pages have enabled me to wipe up after another sort of contentment.
Now, I realise at this point that a minority of Wilbur's fans will be reading this with unease. However, for the majority - by which I mean those who have read the wonderful WS tomes of yore - all I can say is that this lightweight, contrived and predictable tale is unworthy of the author.
If you are someone who, like me, has taken avaricious pleasure over many years from WS, please pretend he didn't actually release this garbage on his public. Better by far (for all concerned) to buy one of the wonders WS had written before he lost sight on writing masterpieces, and then devour each related book with pleasure and interest.
P.S. Not one to waste an investment, I racked my brains about where to offload this garbage. I then realised it's nearly Christmas, so have given the tome to my Mother in Law. She deserves to suffer.......

Acme 210.5 Working Dog Whistle
Acme 210.5 Working Dog Whistle
Offered by Refkit

5.0 out of 5 stars Whistling up a storm???, 21 Nov. 2014
For much of my 20 years of married life, there has only been one love - my English Pointer. He's everything a man needs, but seldom gets with a wife...
Appreciative; comes complete with a fur coat; sits in the car and doesn't talk; is non-judgemental; doesn't need reassurance about weight / looks / what to wear / breath ; isn't too fussy about what we're eating, and always ready for some 'exercise'.
Unfortunately, he's now getting on a bit, and the realisation that there's an imminent chance he'll depart this mortal coil and I'll be left with just the wife to talk to has been causing some distress.
Luckily, in a flash of brilliance I remembered how I trained my pal in the first place, so this review is for the brand new Acme whistle that I bought for what people call my wife, but friends and I know as 'The Devil's Disciple' (TDD).
Now, I've been accused in the past of insensitivity. I took this on board when I chose what whistle tone to get for TDD and went for 210.5 - the highest pitch you can get in the range, and a sound many humans cannot hear. This meant I'd be able to train 'the mad-woman' to respond in public, without disturbing most of the peasantry.
It's worked a dream. She's already learnt that 1 toot means bring me a G&T; 2 is a 30 minute warning I'll be requiring food; 3 toots has been recognised that I'll be requiring the car to be outside the door of the pub as soon as I've finished my pint (she can hear the high pitch whilst waiting in the car park with the windows closed) and I'm working on 4 toots to be recognised as a variation on what in dog training terms would be known as 'down'.
A most satisfactory purchase, for use in training of all sorts of animals.
Thank you Acme!!
P.S. There is an old adage that you cannot teach an old dog new tricks. Acme proves that isn't necessarily true, but my Father-in-Law has said that whilst my Acme whistle is doing well with his daughter, in his experience an electric cattle prod works best with older cows...

DeLonghi descaler - SER3018 - 500ml
DeLonghi descaler - SER3018 - 500ml
Offered by CutPriceDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars Cleanliness is next to godliness - except for my Mother-in-Law...., 21 Nov. 2014
Living in Yorkshire, I'm always on the look-out for a bargain. So, when I read the reviews of this product, I thought I could get a triple whammy. Unfortunately, it transpires to be just a double....
As regards the product and using it to clean my DeLonghi Nespresso machine, well, all I can say is that it's great. Very happy.
I then decanted the once used liquid into my teapot, and it did (as described by other reviewers) bring that to a state of near perfect cleanliness.
So, at this stage in proceedings, 2 out of 3.
Where the disappointment creeps in is that despite putting the twice used cleaning fluid into my Mother-in-Laws teapot and leaving it there as she made a brew, she's still with us!
Ah well - I should have guessed that with her connection to the Pendle Witches, she'd survive.
We live to fight another day. Unfortunately, so does she....

Bombproof Your Horse: Teach Your Horse to be Confident, Obedient and Safe No Matter What You Encounter
by Rick Pelicano

5.0 out of 5 stars We live and learn!, 12 Sept. 2014
A most excellent tome, that undoubtedly helped my wife to educate 'Dreamgirl' to be the safe, risk free ride she now is.
If I'd known how The Devil's Disciple would turn out, I'd never have bought her the book......

Silicone Grease 50G
Silicone Grease 50G
Offered by Discount Party Warehouse Ltd

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for your old bike!, 12 Sept. 2014
This review is from: Silicone Grease 50G (Automotive)
With my wife, I try and get out of the house as much as possible. To that end, I have a number of boy's toys, including an old motorbike - which is the only thing I can ride nowadays without getting moaned at!
As with all old things, the electrics are often the first thing to give bother, so I bought a tube of this grease for my workshop. Now, whenever I adjust, move, tinker with any electrical connection, I dab a spot of this grease onto the contact.
Has it helped? Well the answer to that is a resounding yes. Electrical connectivity is assured, a little goes a very long way, and everything remains corrosion and oxidation free.
Thoroughly recommended.
P.S. The grease can be used elsewhere, but beware, it tastes dreadful... (See my other reviews for guidance to options.)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6