Profile for J. L. Maitland > Reviews

Content by J. L. Maitland

J. L. Maitland "The Son" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Twilight of  the Idols and The Anti-Christ (Penguin Classics)
Twilight of the Idols and The Anti-Christ (Penguin Classics)
by Friedrich Nietzsche

4.0 out of 5 stars Mastering Ascendency., 6 Mar. 2011
I read books by authors I necessarily disagree with every so often. In many ways, Mr Nietzsche is no exception. 'Twilight of the Idols' is a fitting epitaph to the tombstone he began in the 'Birth of Tragedy'. He occasionally brings us back to reminisce on the value of Dionysian art and music, the ethos of anti-chritendom, which is precisely what 'Twilight of the Idols' was intended as - a precursor to the second title included in the volume, 'The Anti-Christ'.

Looking at both titles in conjunction, together they paint a morbidly fascinating overview of Mr. Nietzsces own personal psychology in his out and out diatribe against all the values Christianity holds dear, the ever corrupt and insoluble Roman Catholic Church, Protestantism and finally Kant. He argues that Descartes had no use for meta-physics, whatsmore, that he didn't even know what they were. He argues Kant was an overblown ego maniac feuled by a need for subservience and control and that this control method was ordained in the name of priesthood given the title; 'Practical Reason'.

The biggest problem I had with this work, is that although Mr. Nietzsche has written the book circa 1888, he seems to be stoking the fire of the Third Reich a bit, in both works, he can - by modern standards - be interpreted as an anti-semite, often making references to the 'Smelly'Jews, and liabating on the morality and ethics of Judaism as a whole. He clearly values Jewish learning as much as the Christian in his avid worship of its antithesis - Dionysos.

Anyone who has studied Nietzsche even briefly will be familiar with his first rate analysis of the Dionysian/Appolonian mythos which he began in 'The Birth of Tragedy' and seemingly ran through most of his works referencing this one recurring theme throughout. He was fascinated by the Ancient Greeks, even in his contempt of Plato and Socrates Athenian School of Thought.

Mr Nietzsche is in modern society considered a Master of Ascension. It's a bit perturbing given all the hype surrounding the Ascended Masters today, to read a book by a man, written in the 1800's which so clearly references this fact throughout. If you read the book, pay close attention to the number of times he uses the words 'ascending' and 'mastery' in both 'Twilight of the Idols' and 'The Anti-Christ'. Friedrich Nietzsche detested christian ideology and dogma when he was alive, it would seem, in death, he has subverted the Will of his Soul towards that of the Monad, towards one day unifying the Christian / Satanic Churches under the Banner of Human Evolution and Self-Sacrifice.

I am left wondering, if he knew that - would he approve?

EGYPTIAN TAROT DECK (cards)
EGYPTIAN TAROT DECK (cards)
by Silvana Alasia
Edition: Cards

2.0 out of 5 stars Bit Sinister., 12 Feb. 2011
Basically, I consecrated the deck and didn't really like the Dark Energies this deck put me in contact with. I kind of wish I'd sold it when it was new. . . Largely because although it says it is an original tarot on the tin, it really isn't. It gave me exactly the same reading you'd expect from a Crowley deck, three of Swords, seven of wands, the Lovers... it's a drab affair as I think, personally, it follows most of the attributions of the Thoth Tarot, not too unsurprising, but the Thoth should have been based on an Egyptian system, not the other way round, you could argue the Thoth deck was Gnostic, but I think we're different.

It's a Black Deck, the Darker you are the more you will enjoy it, it depends on your discipline. What do you want? I'd personally recommend people away from this deck and suggest they try the Egyptian Tarot by the Comte de St. Germain. It's possibly alot better.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 4, 2013 11:27 PM GMT

The Sonnets to Orpheus (Skoob Seriph)
The Sonnets to Orpheus (Skoob Seriph)
by Rainer Rilke

5.0 out of 5 stars Who Can Forget The Orange?, 13 Nov. 2010
'Dance the orange. Who can forget the Orange,
how it drowns in itself, as it struggles
against it's own sweetness. You owned the Orange.
It's changed itself deliciously into girls.'

I don'tknow much about Rilke other than he dressed as a woman as young man, and that these sonnets were composed in the space of three weeks shortly before his death. Penned at the end of 1922, the best way to describe 'The Sonnets to Orpheus' is as a masterpiece. I may be a bit bias but I thought this was an outstanding collection of mystical prose, revolving around Orpheus, his lives, his re-incarnations, his loves, his beauty, his Orange.

I am told that Rilke himself did not fully understand what he had written when he had finished these works. What he wrote was a topagraphical overview of the life and times of Orpheus Bacchus. Rilke composed the works sometime after the death of a woman he loved in the early 1920's. What he writes about is the key to understanding modern theosophy. Madame Blavatsky was the Bannana, Edward Crowley was the Apple, Wynn Westcott was the Plum, and Orpheus was an Orange. They were all occultists of the Victorian era, and Rilke pens a modern mythos through spiritual awakening. And Rilke himself writes as a guide to the master of mystery in these works.

Like all great works that display an intricate spiritual understanding, Rilke does not write within the confines of a linear frame-structure. Rilke recounts to Orpheus the lessons he takes from him, himsself; 'the shades of ghosts are all we can see, earthsmoke and rue are for him harmony, combined for him as clear, logical things', for me, this conjures images of shamanic understanding and insight. Rilke is saying that all we are, and ever have been, is ghosts, flittering memories in the minds of mankind, ever pouring upwards in the ashes of descent, but for a man like Orpheus, there is some strange solace to be found in this realisation.

The main theme Rilke reiterates is one of memory loss. Writing to Orpheus from a future, Rilke could only imagine, he emplores him to remember himself... It seems over the span of his lifetimes, all of Orpheus memories have faded to black and he no longer knows himself or who he truly is. 'Be dead forever in Eurydice', and never learn to love another, through an aeon of suffering he cannot release his guilt or shame at her loss, and this is the suffering Rilke see's in Orpheus, shrouded behind a hidden mystery of the Occult. So, when all has come to pass, and the prophecy complete;

'And when what's earthly has forgotten you,
say this to the silent earth: I flow.
Speak to the rolling water: I endure.'

Moonchild
Moonchild
by Aleister Crowley

3.0 out of 5 stars It's hardly fiction is it, mate?, 27 April 2010
This review is from: Moonchild (Paperback)
Right, well I have just seen a review which has labelled this book a work of 'Fiction'. Which is quite frankly, complete balderdash. This book is REAL LIFE, MATTER OF FACT, accounts of Crowleys early involvement with the Order of the Golden Dawn, and outlines and documents the nature and facts about the Moonchild Programme in detail.

The story is not fiction at all, and centres around the main Characters, Simon Iff, Cyril Grey and a man called Douglas, who were magicians fighting an occult war, centred around the White and Black Lodges respectively. In the story, Cyril Grey iniatiates a woman called Lisa LaGiffiura into his order, and after an intense initiation ritual, sires a child with her, according to the Programme. This child of Lisa and Cyril, is in fact the Moonchild of the title.

Before I end this review, a would like to make a couple of points about the plot and how I know this to be real, not fiction.
This is largely because at the end of the novel, Crowley points out that Douglas was IN REALITY, the man who translated 'The Sacred Magic of Abramelin the Mage', having also purchased a copy of this book from Amazon.co.uk in 2008, I am at liberty to tell you the mans REAL NAME is S.L. McGregor Mathers, one of the initial founders of the Golden Dawn. And to be honest with you all, he was disgusting and I hate him.

All that remains is for me to point out, that according to Crowley, a man who had close ties to Scotland Yard and MI5 at the end of his life, the British Government were behind the Second World War. MATTER OF FACT.

All in all this is a Good book, perhaps worthy of more than a three star rating. This is an ABSOLUTE MUST HAVE, for aqnybody interested in the Occult, British Politics and Academic Research, although I urge anybody with Christian convictions or devout religious beliefs to stay away from this book, because when you realise everything in it is REAL, it is, in fact, quite a fantastically disturbing read.

Thankyou,
One Son.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 6, 2014 5:45 PM GMT

Orpheus: The Theosophy of the Greeks
Orpheus: The Theosophy of the Greeks
by George Robert Stow Mead

2.0 out of 5 stars The Indoctrination of an Orphic Legacy, 26 April 2010
Well, I decided to buy this book, after browsing through the first few pages online. Initially I thought the introduction was well written and sounded informed. It's a shame I bought it in hindsight, largely because I didn't realise when they spoke of the 'Greek Theosophy' that they were in fact refering to H. P. Blavatsky, and her indoctrination system. I had hoped it was an independent publication, and that it would reveal more of the hidden history of Orpheus. This is unfortunately not true.

I have to point out, I had purchased a copy of the Secret Doctrine back in 2008, and was unbelievably gutted when reading through the text that it was a massive apology and justification for the coming of the Anti-Christ. This has some bearing on this publication about Orpheus, largely because George Robert Stow Mead was a member of the Theosophical Society, and this book is an extension of the Secret Doctrine, although it pretains solely to the 'Hidden' lineage and history of Orpheus, no doubt, worthy of it's own title on the shelves of the Theosophical Society Library.

First published in 1896 by said society, it contains many, apparently, bare-faced lies, according to any historical research I have already done on this topic. For a start, they suggest Orpheus was in fact Horus, the Egyptian God of Crowley's New Aeon. Whilst historically Horus is the god of the New Age, he was and is not Orpheus. They also suggest (or rather assert) that Orpoheus was himself Egyptian. And according to academic research I have done, there is very little evidence for this proposition. At this point I would refer the reader to W.K.C. Guthrie's book 'Orpheus and the Greek Religion' written in 1936, revised in the 1950's. Guthrie does refer to this publication in that work, although they are quite simply not the same thing.

Guthrie's text is a speculative and academic research into the history of Orpheus and the Orphic Religion, and in it, he purports that there is plenty of evidence to support the claim, that IF Orpheus had even lived, would have been a Thracian, from Greece. As do websites online. The problem is obviously that Stow Mead, at the conclusion of the book, points out he has drawn heavily from H. P. Blavatsky to outline his research, he also points out that she never was a Scholar, merely a proponent of so called 'Mysticism'. I believe this book to part of an anti-wisdom indoctrination system, although this is in no way, the fault of the publishers of this version of the book, namely, Amazon.co.uk.

For any Occultist, Theosophist or even Scholar, this book will probably be vital to your work. For me, it represents a furthering of an Anti-Christian Thesis designed to indoctrinate anybody who doesn't understand the sacred mythology of these topics.

Buy it if you feel this will help your studies, and there is some interesting information in it. Although before you read this I strongly urge you to read both 'The Greeks and Their Gods' and 'Orpheus and the Greek Religion' by W.K.C. Guthrie, if only to achieve a more disciplined, scholarly understanding of the topic. There is very little, if no proof, presented in this publication to support some of the claims the author makes.

Company of Liars
Company of Liars
by Karen Maitland

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Book All Year!!!!, 1 Aug. 2009
This review is from: Company of Liars (Paperback)
Well, I only put it down an hour ago, and I already miss it. An absolutely Brilliant book, with very few flaws, remarkably well crafted and executed by the author, Miss Maitland (And an Outstanding Name Too!), It never disappoints.

The story is told by an old 'Camelot', a storyteller, who is travelling England when the Pestilence hits the Country, soon after leaving a village,the Camelot meets a couple of Musicians, Jofre and Rodrigo, and the three form a small troupe, along the way, the troupe is expanded to a Company of Nine, which is when the adventure and excitement of the story really start to take hold.

A gripping and innovative yarn, I cannot recommend this book highly enough to fans of historical literature, and don't get me wrong, this book is REAL literature. The author really brings the landscape and characters together very vividly and captivates the reader throughout.

I find it hard to believe that it's follow up, The Owl Killers, will be disppointing either, in Karen Maitland, I have discovered a Gem.

Know So.

When We Were Orphans
When We Were Orphans
by Kazuo Ishiguro

4.0 out of 5 stars Orphans Rite of Passage into Manhood, 16 July 2009
This review is from: When We Were Orphans (Paperback)
Right, well, I actually AM an Orphan, from England, and though I may not have lived in Shang-hi, this book speaks Volumes to me about my own life, and I can only conclude that other Orphans who have read this book must agree with me, when I say, It's Bloody Brilliant!

It may as well be a fictitous analogy for my life, right down to fact that at the end of the book, the main character in it is actually called - Uncle Chris!! It's scary, like that.

The book itself is fantastically well written, as you would expect from Ishiguro, there are literally no spelling mistakes in it at all. The story is however, two dimensional, the first half of the book centres around Christopher Banks rise to the top of the Social Ladder in 1930's England, and his fleeting, off the cuff, rommance with a woman called, Sarah.

The second half of the book sees all major parties in it relocated to China, where the book takes a more adventurous turn, as Christopher searches for his mum and dad in China.

At points the book had me laughing, at how, ironically, being an Orphan anyway, you can relate to a lot of the conclusions Christopher reaches on his search, and how, being an Orphan, you're prepared to go that bit further to get what you desire.

I was first introduced to Ishiguro at school, where I studied 'Remains of the Day', which I found infinitely more plodding than 'When we were Orphans', but nonetheless his old literary genius shines through, and what I'm talking about here are his style and mastery of language.

In short I consider it a work of art, which only gets 4 stars, as I felt the ending needed something to make it more plausible, and also, because I can believe that some of his other works like 'A pale view of hills' or 'Never Let Me Go' may actually be better.

Troy: Shield of Thunder (Trojan War Trilogy): 2
Troy: Shield of Thunder (Trojan War Trilogy): 2
by David Gemmell

4.0 out of 5 stars The Rise of The Ugly King, 9 April 2009
It took me 3 weeks to read Lord of the Silver Bow, and a month to read Shield of Thunder, given that I read it over Christmas I was quite pleased with myself.

Anyway, Shield of Thunder picks up where Lord of the Silver Bow left off, and is mostly the story of Banokles and Kalliades rise to the head of the Trojan Army after their battle with Argurios and Helikaon at the end of book 1. It's good, there's a love sub-plot between kalliades and a girl from the Isle of Thebes, i think (!). It's an enjoyable, well paced read on that front.

Of course, the book really centres on developing the character of Odysseus, the Ugly King of Ithaka. I'm not going to tell you what happens, but the book is very epic and sets the tone well for the last book in series, Fall of Kings.

I'm going to agree that I feel this novel comes across as somewhat lacking in that IS essentially a re-hashing of Lord of the Silver Bow for the first half of the novel as Banokles and Kalliades sail with Odysseus over the Mediterranean to Troy and this time they rescue - a drowning pig!

So I'd agree that in parts in seems like commercialisation of the product more than anything, but personally I enjoyed reading it. Fall of Kings is sitting on my shelf, I just need to get round to reading it. Anyway, hope that helps.

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Terok Nor: Dawn of the Eagles: Star Trek: Terok Nor
Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Terok Nor: Dawn of the Eagles: Star Trek: Terok Nor
by S.D. Perry

5.0 out of 5 stars Constable Odo!....and Quark., 23 Dec. 2008
Right well, Dawn of the Eagles is the concluding part of the trilogy, and once again I have to say I enjoyed it immensly. As this book is a little bit shorter than the other two, it's also a bit more accessible. And the conclusion to the story is well woven plot of intrigue, conspiracy, betrayal and victory all measured with a good dose of comedy for good measure.

This novel centres around Odo's relationships with Dr Mora, Kira Nerys, Gul Dukat,Quark and Rom. It's genuinely well-written in my estimation.

This book deals more with Miras Vara, and her ascent to become astrea,
high priestess of the Oralian Way, a storyline which is not concluded in this trilogy.

The book also chronicles the Shakaar cell's attack on DS9, which was built up in 'Night of Wolves', and is brought to a satisfying conclusion.

I agree that there could have been a few more pages, as the book effectively only chronicles a short space of time compared to the decade of chronology it covers. Nonetheless an exillerating read that I'd recommend to any DS9 fan.

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Terok Nor: Night of the Wolves: "Star Trek": Terok Nor
by S.D. Perry

4.0 out of 5 stars Coming-of-Age Tale of Revenge, 23 Dec. 2008
I'm going to be honest, I loved Day of Vipers, and to be honest, thought that Night of Wolves was nearly as good. However, if Day of Vipers is my favourite in the Terok Nor Trilogy, then this is actually my least favourite of the three.

Basically, because the ladies use a slightly different narrative tone to tell the tale. Not by much, but occasionally you pick up that it's different people writing the same story.

The story itself centres around the Bajorans in this novel, whereas DOV centred around Gul Dukat and the Oralian Way, telling more prominently the stories of Kira Nerys and Ro Laren, respectively, in the Bajoran Resistance.

In the story it is revealed that a Cardassian, with rare 'albino' type, blonde hair, tortured Ro's father to death, and in the end she catches up to him. The novel very much builds to this and the end result is, as you would expect, very much an anti-climax. But fair play as it's intentional.

Secondly it focus's on Kira's development in the Shakaar cell, Opaka Sulan's ascent from Vedek status to that of Kai, and Gul Dukat's relationship with Kira Meru. It also deals with other supporting casts lineage like Lenaris Holem (who features as a main character) and Basso Tromac, the Guls Bajoran aide.

I did thoroughly enjoy it and the only reason I gave it four stars not five is that I felt the other two in the series were ever so slightly better.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3