Profile for K. Petrovic > Reviews

Elysium - Steelbook [Blu-ray] [2013]
Elysium - Steelbook [Blu-ray] [2013]
Dvd ~ Matt Damon

1.0 out of 5 stars Could it be any worse?, 20 Mar. 2014
Maybe, as I liked most of the "bad" guys/ gals, actually. But on the other hand - why did some wonderful, talented actors like Jodie Foster and William Fichtner sign up for this piece of s***? I hope they are not traumatized for life!

I fell in love with science fiction more than 30 years ago and I have been collecting books and movies ever since. I can enjoy movies for their great stories/ acting but also for originality/ charm or just for their special effects/ fight scenes. If you consider this, it is actually very hard to make me dislike a movie. This writer/ director managed that feat within 10 minutes. He must be some kind of evil genius to find somebody to give him money for this.

This movie has the same complexity, style, originality and depth of characters which you can find in an old, cold bag of fries. All poor guys secretly have a heart of gold even if they live of theft, kidnapping and assassinations. All rich guys/ gals are evil and cartoonish like Cruella. Maybe the director should be making kid's movies? Apparently being rich also means that you enjoy decorating your luxury space station like the set of the Stepford Wives, for some reason. Also you can heal any disease with a "diagnostic bed" without any effort. But they won't give this miracle technology to us here on earth, those meanies... Wow - what a story.

Mr. Damon has one look throughout the movie which I would describe as "tortured". Considering the script and direction this is understandable...

Ah, I remembered one good thing: Wagner Moura, a brilliant Brazilian actor, is also in the movie. Considering that to far I have only seen him in truly remarkable movies like Elite Squad I'm afraid that this is a huge step backward for the poor man.

Tucker and Dale vs. Evil [DVD] (2011)
Tucker and Dale vs. Evil [DVD] (2011)
Dvd ~ Tyler Labine

5.0 out of 5 stars American "Shaun of the Dead"!, 21 Nov. 2011
I expected that this might be entertaining from the reviews but was I suprised! It is absolutely BLOODY (in every sense of the word) brilliant, laugh out loud funny and even sweet. With as many movies in the brain as I have it is rare that a movie has me at the edge of my seat after 30min because there are many possible ways it could end. What is stated on the back-cover is true (first time ever): It DOES for redneck splatter movies what Shaun of the Dead did for Zombie-movies. Credible and likeable main actors (the female lead is a bit weaker). Let's keep our fingers crossed that we will see more of this team soon. Btw. - I'm almost 40, female and a psychologist (great therapy spoof in this movie, too) - so it's not a "boys-only" movie.