Profile for CN > Reviews

McGOLDRICK, McCUSKER, DOYLE - LIVE
McGOLDRICK, McCUSKER, DOYLE - LIVE
Offered by Coda Music Scotland

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant pipes,whistles, fiddle and guitar., 19 Aug 2013
This is an album that I play repeatedly. I just cannot get enough of the collective sound of these three musicians. In addition to their enormous individual talent and flair they combine to produce a series of wonderful tracks. The fact that it is a live recording takes me away from my sitting room or car into a gig, a pint in my hand, my head full of wonderful tunes and my whole being in total enchantment.

The players are inventive and in harmony with each other. I think that Michael is the finest player of pipes and whistles and to experience his playing live is amazing, whether as part of this unit, Capercaillie, Transatlantic Sessions or the MM Big Band at Celtic Connections. His other CD's are worth a listen/purchase too, especially Fused.

Is it Just Me?
Is it Just Me?
by Miranda Hart

1.0 out of 5 stars Unfunny, unstructured rubbish., 19 Aug 2013
This review is from: Is it Just Me? (Paperback)
I like Miranda on the TV and looked forward to reading this book. The structure is strange and the dialogue with her 18 year old self says nothing. The range of topics for chapters encouraged me to read on. There is a lack of humour, it is tedious and dull. Much content is "statements of the b....... obvious" ( J Cleese) with nothing added by the author. I refused to give up and struggled to the end. The author gives nothing of herself, says nothing of interest about anything and covers pages with conversations with her dog. I feel sorry for the dog having to put up with such an owner.
This is self indulgent rubbish.

Morphy Richards Accents 43772 Pyramid Kettle - Red
Morphy Richards Accents 43772 Pyramid Kettle - Red

5.0 out of 5 stars Very stylish and stunning look. Heats quickly too., 28 April 2013
This was bought to match the toast. The metallic red is a wonderful finish and goes well with the kitchen. Again bought at a discount to the srp making it good value. As well as looking awesome it is efficient at boiling water. So 5 stars for design and 5 stars for its water heating purpose.

On the Nature of War (Penguin Great Ideas)
On the Nature of War (Penguin Great Ideas)
by Carl von Clausewitz

5.0 out of 5 stars A definitive theory of warfare., 28 April 2013
The theory of war from an intellectual Napoleonic turn of the 18th/19th century point of view, informed by extensive military experience and regularly referred to in the present day.

Traditional toys : Childrens Tin spinning top toy (ACK60144)
Traditional toys : Childrens Tin spinning top toy (ACK60144)

4.0 out of 5 stars Basic tinplate classic toy which spins very well., 10 Dec 2012
I think that every child should have a spinning top because in form or another they have provided fun for children for thousands of years. I think that tinplate tops probably were first made in the late 19th century.

This version is basic with colourful designs and a great spinning ability. The push down mechanism is light to use so I am hoping that our 2 year old will find it easy to use.

The educational value is endless.

A pity that it doesn't hum too but these cost around £10 for the same size and this was more like £5.

This review is of the top which I think is good value for money and will be good fun.

On the other hand the toy firm supplier (not Amazon direct) has no idea on how to wrap anything. The box was damaged for two reasons, first it was stuffed in a too small jiffy bag, second there was no bubble wrap to protect it. Why dont suppliers realise that at Christmas people buy items for presents and presentation matters.

Women Who Kill (Underworld UK)
Women Who Kill (Underworld UK)
by Vanessa Howard

1.0 out of 5 stars Very poorly written and pseudo psych journalism., 3 Oct 2012
I bought this book at a charity shop as I thought the title to be an unusual one and I have a very broad taste in reading.

Each chapter deals with one female murderer. It reads like a badly researched sunday newspaper with various levels of detail and analysis. The analysis I describe as "pseudo psychological" in that you or I could work out the explanations offered.
Having read the book I have not gained any insight into this area of crime. I think it is an example of poor journalism and the only place for the book is in the bin.

Modern Patterns Botanical Colouring Book
Modern Patterns Botanical Colouring Book

4.0 out of 5 stars Good combination of art and science, 29 Sep 2012
Bought for bright 10 year who has enjoyed the complex patterns and has used colour to show various aspects of the science.
Clever using the much loved practice of colouring in to learn and understand some complex ideas.

Much enjoyed
Challenging at the age of ten
Suitable for up to 14 years of age to provide visualisation too.

An alternate approach to a subject. A nice wayof developing the more able student too.

Fiasco: The American Military Adventure in Iraq
Fiasco: The American Military Adventure in Iraq
by Thomas E. Ricks

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding depth of analysis and reportage., 29 Sep 2012
This is a brief review of an amazing bok which i finished yesterday in September 2012.
It has great authority because of the stature of the author and more importantly of the stature of his sources. So many tell it like it was. A complete falling apart of the American Army fighting machine with its generals fighting a different was than what was required as well as it beign an illegal and bogus war.

The funny man with only some working parts of a brain seemed to think that it was all going great and the people he employed to be closest to him and therefore to power were also in need of lobotomies on anything to do with the armed force, invasion, heartsand mind, governments regime change, policing, the safety of the lucky people who live there. The ways that local people will get bread, water, electric and work are all important, but not as important as a US arne being able to ice cold coke machines in every base in Iraq.

Thomas Ricks explores the limited plans which went, big tanks. big bombs, big explosions bit of shooting and then we have won that fight, and can we go home?
So much more to do and with zero understanding of Iraqui honour systems, language, culture, belief and loyalties the US screwed things up so badly that they nearly lost the war as opposed to coming out with a draw.
Excellent read and then there's a followup called the Gamble which I havent read yet. .

Get Out
Get Out
Offered by best_value_entertainment

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite Cappercaillie recordings, 23 Jun 2012
This review is from: Get Out (Audio CD)
I have worn out my cassette tape of Get Out by Cappercaillie. This CD version is a mix of live recordings and outtakes. The last track is an instrumental which I play again and again in the car. I love the atmosphere and the vibes of this track.

I first bought the tape in about 1997 and it's great to play while driving through mountains and the hilly countryside anywhere.

Each song or tune is superbly performed. This cd is not particularly long ( a good thing imho). If you like this wonderful band then this is a good addition to your collection.

Misfits
Misfits
Offered by Buy-For-Less-Online

4.0 out of 5 stars Good game but beware of Molibob pricing, 22 Jun 2012
This review is from: Misfits (Toy)
I was going to buy a new set of this long established toy as the one I have was missing several pieces. I think that this one made by Rocket Toys has some more recent pictures. The game is great fun on a one to one basis and for a child to try on its own. My 2 year old will struggle at first but likes the funny baby pictures and laughs at theri funniness.
The price of £1.52 was very cheap. However the Molibob company then wanted £4.62 in postage making a total of £6.14. The actual cost at a post office is £2.20. I am writing this review because Amazon should not allow deceptive pricing. It is not honest in my opinion.
So I bought one from Ebay at £2.25 plus £2.25 postage making £4.50

This is a good fun game which will work at many different levels. I don't buy toys for educational reasons but to be played with. Through play children learn what they want to learn. Amazon ought to police and remove listings like this and many more that are deceptive.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10