Profile for Janette > Reviews

Content by Janette

Janette (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
The Journal of William Dowsing: Iconoclasm in East Anglia during the English Civil War
by Trevor Cooper

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 2 April 2015
Just a brilliant piece of historical research on behalf of the contributors. I don't think many stones have not been left unturned.

The Magnificent Seven: London's First Landscaped Cemeteries
The Magnificent Seven: London's First Landscaped Cemeteries
by John Turpin

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for an overview of the subject, 2 April 2015
This is a very well produced product and lots of photographs. Personally I was disappointed in the book as it gives a overall description of the subject and therefore ideal to take with you when visiting any of the relevant cemeteries or for a quick understanding of them. I view myself as a bit of an expert on cemeteries which is why I was disappointed as I was looking for a more in-depth text.

Caustic Love
Caustic Love

5.0 out of 5 stars I found this album different from previous one's - perhaps ..., 14 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Caustic Love (Audio CD)
I found this album different from previous one's - perhaps more mature or more professional, can't put my finger on it - but played it over and over and it's still in the CD player in my car.

The Best Of Julie London
The Best Of Julie London

5.0 out of 5 stars Great surprise, 3 Oct. 2013
I vaguely think I had heard of Julie London and was encouraged by reading the reviews to purchase the CD. I love it.

A Fine Brother: The Life of Captain Flora Sandes
A Fine Brother: The Life of Captain Flora Sandes
by Louise Miller

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible piece of research, 28 Aug. 2013
I was fairly well versed with Flora Sandes' life as she lived in the same area I did, and I worked at the local archive centre. She was known to a lot of the older villagers and was certainly an enigma to the end. I am in the midst of reading the book and feel like I am there with her, but unlike Flora I would't have wanted to be in her shoes. The author has done a thorough job with her research, using many different avenues and the result is a well written and very detailed piece of work.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 22, 2013 5:46 PM GMT

The Civil Wars
The Civil Wars

4.0 out of 5 stars I've never understood their name., 28 Aug. 2013
This review is from: The Civil Wars (Audio CD)
Civil Wars as a phrase suggests discord and aggression yet this duo are incredible harmonious. Having purchased their first album and continually enjoyed their blending of the voice, I was keen to purchase this album. Although it is a great album I prefer the first one - I think maybe because this album is a bit more aggressive in song choice and I miss the harmonics.

How to Read a Graveyard
How to Read a Graveyard
by Peter Stanford

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspired me to get back to my studies., 28 Aug. 2013
I studied the development of cemeteries for my dissertation for a Masters Degree and have also been involved in recording gravestones for over 20 years - so I consider I am fairly well qualified in the subject of graveyards and cemeteries. The book wasn't quite as I expected from the title and I don't think it is the correct title to describe the contents. However, I learnt facets of the subject I knew little about in some chapters and enjoyed reading the chapters of which I had knowledge. Overall, it has inspired me to get back to my own studies on the subject.

Christopher Cross
Christopher Cross
Offered by Bridge_Records

5.0 out of 5 stars Second time round, 28 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Christopher Cross (Audio CD)
I bought this album for my ex-husband, when it first came out. I always loved the album and decided to buy it for myself. Having listened to it again, I still love every track.

Sanctus - Sacred Songs
Sanctus - Sacred Songs

5.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed my ex-partner took this when we broke up, 12 July 2013
This review is from: Sanctus - Sacred Songs (Audio CD)
I've got loads of CDs consisting of all sorts of genre but when this CD went with my ex-partner, it was top of the list of CDs to replace. I just lose myself in his velvety voice.

The Homecoming and Other Stories (BBC Audio)
The Homecoming and Other Stories (BBC Audio)
by Maeve Binchy
Edition: Audio CD

5.0 out of 5 stars Just a great big Maeve Binchy fan, 12 July 2013
I read a lot, have an MA in history, and yet MB is one of my favourite authors. There's just something about her that I can relate to - frustration, love, reality. This was the first audio MB I have purchased and it definitely won;t be the last.

Page: 1 | 2