Profile for J. Egner > Reviews

Content by J. Egner

J. Egner "Jasmin Egner" (UK)

How to Stop Acting
How to Stop Acting
by Harold Guskin

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful, practical advice, 8 April 2011
This review is from: How to Stop Acting (Paperback)
As someone still rather new to acting I think this is a definite must-have - alongside 'True & False', 'The Actor & The Target' and 'Different Every Night - Freeing The Actor'. It contains very practical advice. It's all about responding in the moment, being true to what you feel and letting go of preconceived ideas. So much healthier than some other stuff that's out there. Guskin leads you through exercises and even advises you which monologues to start with to get used to his exercises. Couldn't be more explicit, which makes it so much easier if you are even more of a beginner than myself. I couldn't even stop reading on the plane back home after a nerve-wrecking day of auditioning, and boy was I knackered! Do buy if acting is what you want to do. I would recommend it to pros, semi-pros & amateurs alike. Enjoy :)

Val Kilmer - The Ten Commandments - The Musical [DVD]
Val Kilmer - The Ten Commandments - The Musical [DVD]
Dvd ~ Val Kilmer

2.0 out of 5 stars If the Star of the show is the weakest link..., 6 Jun 2010
...it can be embarrassing to watch. Val Kilmer just doesn't have a Musical Theatre voice and you can feel how hard it is for him to do it. That's unfortunately not the only faux pas. I spotted modern day sandals and a baby-dummy that's not even 'trying' to look like a real baby. There are some good songs in it tho.

True and False: Heresy and Common Sense for the Actor
True and False: Heresy and Common Sense for the Actor
by David Mamet

4.0 out of 5 stars Eye opener, 6 Jun 2010
This is a book I can warmly recommend. It's exactly what it says on the tin. It contains basic but important information which can help actors (and beginners like myself) 'relax' a bit... I really don't approve of Mamet's frequent references to 'God', but apart from that I am happy I've read it. Get it, read it and use whatever helps YOU!