ARRAY(0xb4e6e780)

Profile for Reynart > Reviews

Content by Reynart

Reynart (Oxford)

Bach: Aus Der Tieffen (Ricercar Consort/Pierlot)
Bach: Aus Der Tieffen (Ricercar Consort/Pierlot)
Price: 12.10

5.0 out of 5 stars A Desert Island Disc, 29 Mar 2012
I have a library of over 250 classical music CDs and this one would be right up there in the top 5. The music is quite sensational (try track 3 which I would happily listen to on my death bed).

The singing is of the highest class and the sound is demonstration quality. I cannot recommend this highly enough.

Capital
Capital
by John Lanchester

2.0 out of 5 stars Capital Loss, 21 Mar 2012
This review is from: Capital (Hardcover)
Well, it all seemed set up for a good read. Lanchester is my age, writing about a London I know well (I have even lived in the real Pepys Road S.E.14) with a credible cast of characters. Yet, I ended up dragging myself kicking and screaming through the 580+ pages. I eventually realised the problem was not the plot but the narrative style. There is barely a metaphor or simile throughout. You don't acknowledge how important they are to fiction until they are missing. What is left is something of a shopping list. On the plus side Lanchester has clearly been a loving father to a toddler - the passage about the banker left in charge of his children over Christmas is laugh-out-loud funny and I was touched by the parting between Matya (nanny) and her young charge, Joshua. But overall it felt like a competent writer of non-fiction had been over-encouraged by his friends in publishing to put fictional pen to paper.

Brahms: Piano Trios
Brahms: Piano Trios
Price: 13.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding chamber music disc, 30 Sep 2009
This review is from: Brahms: Piano Trios (Audio CD)
I would say this is one of my most favourite chamber music discs in my collection. The music is sublime and the playing is out of this world. As an amateur pianist, I am under no illusions how difficult this music is, but Angelich is on top form - with great delicacy even in the heaviest writing. Highly recommended.

Cricket 2005 (PC)
Cricket 2005 (PC)

4.0 out of 5 stars A good realistic game, 15 Oct 2005
This review is from: Cricket 2005 (PC) (Video Game)
I have played this for a couple of weeks and am generally happy. I too find the batting hard, but you need to use your openers to defend for some overs. I have scored 294 all out on a good wicket! The trick is to build up with singles and fours by glancing down to leg. Offside shots are far more difficult, but if you use the training sessions you can improve your timing. I suffer too many run outs but the key is caution. I am getting tired of the limited Benaud commentary but it is certainly a rewarding game for 1 or 2 players.